Line Combos: It's time to shake things up...

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Something needs to give. In order to try to get 3 lines producing and balance on the back end, I would try the following lineup for a few games...

Van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Komarov
MacArthur-Kadri-Frattin
Orr-McClement-Brown

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Franson
Gardiner-Komisarek

Reimer

What would you consider to try and give the lineup a much needed spark?

Last edited:

SteveV*

I said JVR with Kessel and Bozak when Lupul went down. Mac has been completely uneffective on that line, too small. Komarov with Kuli is intriguing, but might be redundant.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Whoever JVR is playing with, he needs to stay there.

JVR is awesome!

#ThanksPhilly

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It looks like Carlyle took the advice of myself and others and has moved JVR to the first line in practice. Good move.

Not sure about how the other lines or defence pairings have shaken out yet...

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
I agree that JVR should be with Bozak-Kessel for now.

I would make a few more changes than you though:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Kadri-Grabovski-Kulemin
MacArthur-Komarov-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Orr

McClement could take some shifts on the 3rd as well, so it's really 4 guys playing the 3rd line. I'm not sure taking Kadri off C is the right choice, but I'd like to get the guys I see as my top 6 in the actual top 6 playing those minutes and for now that means Kadri over MacArthur. Komarov did take some face-offs last game, so I don't think this is that outrageous an idea.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Something needs to give. In order to try to get 3 lines producing and balance on the back end, I would try the following lineup for a few games...

MacArthur-Kadri-Frattin
Orr-McClement-Brown

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Franson
Gardiner-Komisarek

Reimer

looks correct - mac and komarov could flip
its too soon to be thinking kadri #1 so he's ok there

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

SteveV*

McClement shouldn't be on the second line, move Frattin up, he played great with Grabo last year for a spell. We need offense, and McClement provides zero (great defensively though!!)

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Stick with Grab-my-ovski, Kule as a Cucumber, and Mac A Eh?

Stick with the kid line, King Kadri, Frat Pack and Koma who hits until you're in a Coma.

Shove JVR with Bozie the Clown and Kessel the Blood Vessel.

Stick with Colton I Wish I was Bobby Orr, Mike The Whitest Name In The Planet Brown, and Jay Doomsday McClement.

Stick James Timothy Jebediah Reimer in net.

Have the Ivy League nerd Ben We Ain't Winnin With Scrivens on the sideline as backup.

= Automatic win!

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin
MacArthur - Kadri - Frattin
Brown - Bozak - Kessel
Komarov - McClement - Orr

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Franson
Gardiner-Komisarek

Reimer

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
my goodness, PLEASE split Bozak-Kessel up. They have shown 0 chemistry this year. Put your 5.5 mil center or Kadri with him, you know...players who are actually offensively gifted.

Edit; how I would do it:

Kulemin-Grabo-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Komarov
MacA-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Orr

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
my goodness, PLEASE split Bozak-Kessel up. They have shown 0 chemistry this year. Put your 5.5 mil center or Kadri with him, you know...players who are actually offensively gifted.

Edit; how I would do it:

Kulemin-Grabo-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Komarov
MacA-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Orr

grabo plays the checking role, vs top lines of other teams, kessel does not fit on that line with grabo.

what line here, is going vs the top lines of other teams?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Edit; how I would do it:

Kulemin-Grabo-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Komarov
MacA-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Orr
Grabs and Kessel have very little chemistry. Both like to maintain possession of the puck and Kessel has a significant playmaking aspect to his game. Grabs should be on a separate line with stronger players.

I'd even have McClement on the second line to solidify a strong two-way game. That line is being used as a shut down line and tends to generate scoring chances on the counter attack. Grabs and Kulemin are excellent finishers in that situation. McClement can strengthen the line defensively.

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
grabo plays the checking role, vs top lines of other teams, kessel does not fit on that line with grabo.

what line here, is going vs the top lines of other teams?

Well clearly no line now goes against top lines of other teams, at least not effectively. The top line needs to not be a defensive liability. Grabo and Kule help that.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Grabo, Kulie and JVR should have been promoted to the top line and Kessel's line bumped down to #2.

The Grabo line has been our best line by far these past couple of games.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

MacArthur-Kadri-Frattin
Orr-McClement-Brown

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Franson
Gardiner-Komisarek

Reimer

Don't like Komarov on the 2nd line. Kadri would be a better fit.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabo/Kadri-Grabo/Kadri
Komarov-McClement-Frattin
Orr-Steckel-Brown

Odd man out: MacArthur

Don't mind the defensive pairings, though.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
checking line could be.
komorov-bozak-kulimen, plays vs top lines
other line
jvr-grabo-kessel

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
Grabs and Kessel have very little chemistry. Both like to maintain possession of the puck and Kessel has a significant playmaking aspect to his game. Grabs should be on a separate line with stronger players.

I'd even have McClement on the second line to solidify a strong two-way game. That line is being used as a shut down line and tends to generate scoring chances on the counter attack. Grabs and Kulemin are excellent finishers in that situation. McClement can strengthen the line defensively.

They were put together for 2 periods MAX in the last two seasons. That's hardly enough time to build chemistry. On the other hand, Bozak keeps getting put with Kessel despite the fact that whatever chemistry they seemed to have(largely due to Lupul in the first place), is gone. Grabovski can cycle, work the boards, and shoot better than Bozak. So what if you have two players who like to maintain possession? it's better than having two players who are constantly looking for Phil.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
They were put together for 2 periods MAX in the last two seasons. That's hardly enough time to build chemistry. On the other hand, Bozak keeps getting put with Kessel despite the fact that whatever chemistry they seemed to have(largely due to Lupul in the first place), is gone. Grabovski can cycle, work the boards, and shoot better than Bozak. So what if you have to players who like to maintain possession? it's better than having two players who are constantly looking for Phil.

If Phil doesn't have the puck on his stick when rushing up and down the boards, he's not doing much else. He is not the type of guy who is going to find open spots to be hit with passes in the seams - he generates off the rush and uses his speed with the puck to create his own chances.

Grabo is more creative with the puck and attacks the zone in between the circles rather than on the perimeter. It's Mogs/Sundin all over again, for this generation.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
wouldnt it be nice if lupul could play center when he comes back
that would solve a few problems

JVR LUPUL KESSEL
KADRI COLBORNE ASHTON
FRATTIN GRABOVSKY KULEMIN
ORR MCCLEMENT KOMAROV

sneaking a few big kids in there ;)

4evaBlue