It's time: Predict the winner, Torino 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB420

Aug 13, 2005
Edmonton,AB
Should be some high quality, intense hockey played today. Not just in the Canada/Russia game but all of the Q-finals. Faster paced, more end-to end rushes, hopefully the refs are decent, if the NHL refs are spread out through the games, hope don Vanmassenhoven works the canada/russia game.

I gotta say we take the gold (Canada) we always seem to elevate our game when it matters most and we show up in theese huge stages, and perform man.

secondary game im looking forward to is the czechs/ slovaks should be sparks in that game, hated rival battling over soil :D should be fun to watch as a hockey fan, lots of chances both ways, vokoun looked nervous some ppl said in the game vs team canada, so the czechs hope he wont fold again, but he is better then any goalie the slovaks have, better then budaj atleast. I think slovakia wins only if jagr isnt on his game, if Jagr decides to take over the game, but marian hossa, demitra,gaborik those guys want the W.

If the sweedes lose to the swiss I dont think id be that surprised, aebisher or gerber they have a shot, forsberg for sweedes, they been quiet tho, were mats sundin? lundqvist is a future allstar, he can single handed hold the sweedes in the game, if they get down. Finland should be expected to beat usa, the way the fins played us tough, they play that same style against the americans they win hands down, nittymaki vs. whoever, advantage Fins between the pipes.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
I think those who believe that Finland will win the gold medal are too optimistic.

The semifinal will be against Russia and they played very impressive, especially Ovechkin, the best player of the tournament and also Nabakov the goalie and there is Malkin and Kovalchuk etc....

The Finns certainly have also very good player but I don't see how they can defeat Russia.

For Finland semifinal is the maximum now. They played a good tournament and finnish people can be proud of the team. It would be a sensation for me, if they reach the final game.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Finnswiss said:
I think those who believe that Finland will win the gold medal are too optimistic.

The semifinal will be against Russia and they played very impressive, especially Ovechkin, the best player of the tournament and also Nabakov the goalie and there is Malkin and Kovalchuk etc....

The Finns certainly have also very good player but I don't see how they can defeat Russia.

For Finland semifinal is the maximum now. They played a good tournament and finnish people can be proud of the team. It would be a sensation for me, if they reach the final game.

I will have to disagree with you on this one.

"Ovechkin, the best player of the tournament"

I think Teemu S. has been the best player of the tournament.
As long as S.Salo is ok for friday team Finland has a better team and will win.

Russia has better offense overall, but Finland has better defense and goal tending.

However the game will be a close one. but Finland plays the trap well.

Final Score

Finland 3
Russia 2

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
illone84 said:

Russia has better offense overall, but Finland has better defense and goal tending.

Final Score

Finland 3
Russia 2
:eek:

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
illone84 said:

Final Score

Finland 3
Russia 2

I hope you will be right. Yes T. Selänne has played very well so far, but he is no more so fast like Ovechkin.
And concerning goal tending, I'm not sure if the Finns have an advantage. Have you seen playing Nabakov against Canada? If he plays on the same level against Finland, it will be very hard for them to score...

But I'm rather pessimistic because if they lose I'm not too disappointed. Honestly almost nobody gave a real chance for this team to reach the semifinal before the tournament.

I hope for the Finns they had their bad game of this tournament and they will play the semifinal on the same level as against Canada. If they play like the third period against USA, they lose surely the game.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
WILDTATE10 said:
Why they are clearly the best or second best team in the tournement along with Finland.
I know I am replying after the Slovaks lost but the reason I thought they wouldn't in a medal is because they don't have that great of defence and a good goalie. Moreover, they had to play the Czechs who I feel is the best team at this tournament.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Finnswiss said:
I hope you will be right. Yes T. Selänne has played very well so far, but he is no more so fast like Ovechkin.
Apples and oranges.

AO is hard to defend against because he can shoot, go around you, or run over you. Teemu is hard to defend against because he as good a playmaker than scorer and thus you never quite know what he is going to do. If I'm looking for a guy who can score by himself, I'll take AO. If on the other hand I'm looking for a piece to a dominating offencive line, I'll take Teemu. Both are very, very good.

I agree that Nabby is very good too.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Semi:
Russia - Finland: 3-1
Sweden - Czech Republic: 1-2

Gold Medal Game:
Russia - Czech Republic: 3-2(OT)

Bronze Medal Game:
Sweden - Finland: 4-3 (shootouts)

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
larsmark said:
That must have been the most painful loss ever for the Finnish people, or?
Well, a friend of mine determined to stop following international hockey after that loss. Maybe it was a bit tough loss. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad