Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I find it kind of comical that some people see an almost entirely analytical discussion of the issue as "getting emotional".

When you use words like "over the top" pertaining to a discussion it comes off more emotional then analytical imo.

Man, I thought the Gurriel discussion was a bit over the top. How did we start talking about Vlad for Lindor? Yikes.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I'm fine with the argument and I'd lean to that option.

I just find it comical that people can't have a conversation without getting emotional.

There's nothing unreasonable about discussing trading a 0.5 WAR player with elite potential for a 6 WAR player signed long term. Every possibility should be explored and discussed.

But Lindor isn't signed long-term, and the ability to negotiate has little value.

Note that no one would have an issue with Vlad for an established player further from fa (I don't think anyone would have a problem with a Bo-like acquisition, but those guys aren't available)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It doesn’t come across as productive or analytical to me

I made multiple posts about the Gurriel/Lindor stuff explaining both why I felt the value didn't match up and why I didn't think it made sense for the Jays prior to saying that.

Reactions: Puckstuff

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
If you're trading for Lindor, I'd be willing to bet a lot no team is coming close to offering a player like Vlad in their offers. We only need to have the best offer, which is likely prospects only and not even including Martin, SWR or Groshans.

Reactions: Dr.Funk and Morgs

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
If the Indians are going to wait out on Lindor because they want something from the Mets we best not be too worried about him. I don’t want the front office sitting idle trying to get that done.

Reactions: The MoNaRcH

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
It doesn't make sense to trade our cost controlled assets right now unless it's a deal that's too good to pass up.

We should be keeping them, and flexing our financial muscle to add free agents around them.

Sure, go after Lindor if the value makes sense, but people are talking crazy with some of the proposals here.

Reactions: Auston 316

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
ok bud

Because Vlad for Trout is something management wouldn't even be willing to discuss right? :laugh:

I can assure you they explore every possibility. Anyone can be traded for the right player.
Well obviously they haven't thought about Vlad for trout, because that's never been on the table. I'd say they've never thought of offering Vlad for anyone. If a ridiculous offer like trout were to present itself, I'm sure they'd think about it.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Yes, I do.

Can you answer my question?
Vladdy Jr. is not only better offensively than Tellez despite the age gap but also has the opportunity to play another position if he gets his weight down. Vladdy Jr is also better at 1B than Tellez.

Tellez is older, worse offensively and defensively and isn't exactly slim himself either...why exactly does he have a fan club lmao

Also refer to what other superstars like Betts just went for and realize he's a tier above Lindor as a player as well.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I'm fine with the argument and I'd lean to that option.

I just find it comical that people can't have a conversation without getting emotional.

There's nothing unreasonable about discussing trading a 0.5 WAR player with elite potential for a 6 WAR player signed long term. Every possibility should be explored and discussed.
You don't trade that young player if you believe that he can be a 5-6 WAR player in the near future lmao.

This is exactly how you end up with a Syndergaard situation and the same people wanting Vladdy traded are going to be complaining that he's a star now.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
ok bud

Because Vlad for Trout is something management wouldn't even be willing to discuss right? :laugh:

I can assure you they explore every possibility. Anyone can be traded for the right player.
Do you even follow baseball? Trout might end up being the best player of all time if he just stays healthy...Think of what McDavid is to the NHL and realize Trout is on a Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux level of dominance.

That's a dumb example to even bring up, the Jays will never be offered Trout for Vladdy Jr straight-up this off-season.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Vladdy Jr. is not only better offensively than Tellez despite the age gap but also has the opportunity to play another position if he gets his weight down. Vladdy Jr is also better at 1B than Tellez.

Tellez is older, worse offensively and defensively and isn't exactly slim himself either...why exactly does he have a fan club lmao

Also refer to what other superstars like Betts just went for and realize he's a tier above Lindor as a player as well.

Nah, Rowdy's better both offensively and defensively tbh.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I am assuming the ones saying we should trade Vlad for Lindor would be the same ones grabbing the pitch forks for Shapiro and Atkins when Vladdy makes a launch angle adjustment and breaks out at the ripe age of 23. Sounds like a winning strategy to me.
Devers in Boston is a good example of a young player who needed a bit of adjustment time like most players need when that young. Not everyone can be like Tatis, Soto, Acuna or Bichette.....they're the exception not the rule.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Vlad 100% should not go anywhere. You can't teach his raw power combined with bat to ball skills. If his launch angle sees any kind of uptick to go along with the natural improvement you should see in such a young player we are talking about a .300+ avg, 40 HR, .900+ OPS guy who walks more than he strikes out. If I'm the Jays I look more towards free agency to improve the team.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
People still have this irrational attachment to vladdy. Personally I prefer rowdy at first base. I'm well aware that Vladdy is a fair amount younger but Rowdy is 26 right? I mean first base isn't physically demanding wouldn't he technically still be able to play at a high level at 34-36?
What? Vlad looks like he is in much better shape and has learned from his mistakes about conditioning. He's still only 21 yet is already a league average bat with upside to be the best one in the game. There's no reason he can't play first base well going forward. I don't think you quite grasp just how young 21 is in baseball.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
People still have this irrational attachment to vladdy. Personally I prefer rowdy at first base. I'm well aware that Vladdy is a fair amount younger but Rowdy is 26 right? I mean first base isn't physically demanding wouldn't he technically still be able to play at a high level at 34-36?

Irrational? I think its the opposite. Rowdy is a lot of fun, but comon, he is the first one to be gone once we get a couple of good players.

Reactions: Advanced stats

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Do you even follow baseball? Trout might end up being the best player of all time if he just stays healthy...Think of what McDavid is to the NHL and realize Trout is on a Gretzky/Orr/Lemieux level of dominance.

That's a dumb example to even bring up, the Jays will never be offered Trout for Vladdy Jr straight-up this off-season.

You really need to go back and carefully read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad