Post-Game Talk: It's the Daily Hockey Show! G2: Caps @ Sabres 7pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ Caps Fan

Sep 8, 2019
High Desert
I really wanted to see Lundqvist play this season, but VV looked composed tonight. Hoping he can provide some good competition like Lundqvist probably would have.

Reactions: Roric

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Would’ve been so nice to have lundqvist here to mentor samsonov. The younger goalies will have the speed and reflexes to make spectacular out of position saves, while the older ones have the smarts and experience to know where to be around the net at all times so you don’t have to

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
2-0-0 for Lavy.

Great start for VV.

And I love that Lavy mixed up the lines quickly when the O wasn't clicking.

I never thought Wilson would be this good.

I really liked that about Lavi tonight. Things weren't working so he went about to fix it by changing the lines right away. And in a strategic manner, not just throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks.

Panik has been very noticeable. In the first game too. And he worked really well with 13-92 with the the jump, they were a big part of the reason why the Caps started pushing back in the 3rd.

And Sheary has been pretty invisible these first 2 games. I wouldnt mind seeing what Sprong has in store for a game.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
I really liked that about Lavi tonight. Things weren't working so he went about to fix it by changing the lines right away. And in a strategic manner, not just throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks.

Panik has been very noticeable. In the first game too. And he worked really well with 13-92 with the the jump, they were a big part of the reason why the Caps started pushing back in the 3rd.

And Sheary has been pretty invisible these first 2 games. I wouldnt mind seeing what Sprong has in store for a game.

Spring Sprong!

Reactions: tenken00

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I’ve been scared to split up Kuzy and Wilson but Backstrom and Wilson were vibing.

Chara and Jensen were 1 2 among Caps D in Corsi the 1st game, 2 1 this game. They played a real cross section of the Sabres too, plenty of time with 4, 9, and Dahlin on the ice

Last edited:

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
So the prophecy starts to fall in. Vanecek was great. That calm and composed figure between the pipes is what the whole D leans on and he gave them that in his debut! Can we trade Sammy already?

Im in love with an Slovak. and its not that young handsome guy on taxi. Its the other one. Big ugly and clumsy. Always hated Zdeno in Boston and tried to downspeak him, but thats just out of respect for how good he was. That range he can just reach out is crazy. He can break an offence on the blueline while standing at his own goal line. 2 games in he looks like he havent boarded the regression train yet and if he keeps this up we have hit a homerun here. 1,5 mill (he will hit the bonuses for sure, theres no question he will play in 56 games and big minutes if he keeps this up and doesnt injure) for nr1 shutdown D. What were you thinking Boston??

Overall its still early version of the 2021 Caps. We should see a lot of updates coming while the season progresses, they’ve been 2 weeks on ice with Lavi. 4 points was a great great start, i was worried for Cyperpunk level of release with so many bugs thats its unwatchable for the start, but im liking the vibe here.

Reactions: Bananas and dh99

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I'm afraid wime will see a lot of sets of games like this.
Game 1, a high scoring game
Game 2 vs the same opponent, the coaches adjust their system and it's a snoozefest

I actually liked this one better. Some bad blood drawn like Dowd hit on Staal and then Ristolainen giving it back to Dowder every chance he had on this one, close game from start to final blow.

Lots of things decreased goals from 10 to 3.

1) better goaltending
2) Caps had no PP at all
3) it was one goal game all the way, nobody lets down like Caps sort of did on 4-1 last game
4) fatigue
5) players fastly learning/remembering how to play against certain guys
6) coaching adjustments
7) Caps didnt score empty netter this time

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bummed I wasn’t able to see Vitek’s first W but really, really happy for him. He has come a long way and I hope he continues to impress.

Side story. His first AHL victory was also a 2-1 win. Vitek was announced as the first star of the game, which means he would be interviewed on the ice with the Bears in game reporter. Vitek barely knew English at the time and Vrana convinced him to go out. The reported asks him a question about his game and Vitek without hesitation blurts out something like , “ I LOVE HERSHEY, ITS NICE!” and Vrana just started rolling laughing and the crowd cheered and laughed. It was an awesome moment

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Great showing for VV. It's only game 1 of his NHL career, but one of the things that gives me hope for him is that everyone talks about how terrific his work ethic is, how willing he is to adjust to improve his game, and that he's worked for so long to get here from the EC'freakin'HL. That says to me he isn't likely to be a guy who gets complacent or too comfortable in his NHL spot, which is great both for him and the team if it means he consistently brings his 100%. If he works out, we've potentially got him for another season at the bargain price of $716,667, too. I still think, if they're smart, they'll find opportunities to play Anderson or Copley or someone this season as well so as not to overplay too young Gs. But a guy who can stop Halls and Eichels when the team in front of him is playing inconsistently is a guy any team would like to have.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
...If he works out, we've potentially got him for another season at the bargain price of $716,667, too...

Not necessarily. Good problem to have I guess, but both Samsonov and Vanacek are eligible for Seattle to take in the Expansion draft. If Vanecek shows he has real promise as an NHL starter, Seattle may be apt to take him.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Samsonov needs to step up if he wants to keep that supposed #1 status.

Its definitely the right time to make sweeping generalizations about the goaltending rotation after one game each.

One could also say Sammy be tter step up if he wants to stay in the NHL. I mean giving up four goals isn't going to cut it.

Fortunately, he will.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Its definitely the right time to make sweeping generalizations about the goaltending rotation after one game each.

One could also say Sammy be tter step up if he wants to stay in the NHL. I mean giving up four goals isn't going to cut it.

Fortunately, he will.
Way to put words in my mouth, Dave. I wonder if you're as good at your actual job as at this. If so, your close ones must be proud of you. As for the topic, I'm not talking about just this one game. Samsonov had a pretty poor second half of last season, then got a pretty dumb injury by not being a professional he's supposed to be and then had this kinda game where he seemed like he forgot how to position himself in net and catch pucks. There have definitely been negative dynamics in his career this last year.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Way to put words in my mouth, Dave. I wonder if you're as good at your actual job as at this. If so, your close ones must be proud of you. As for the topic, I'm not talking about just this one game. Samsonov had a pretty poor second half of last season, then got a pretty dumb injury by not being a professional he's supposed to be and then had this kinda game where he seemed like he forgot how to position himself in net and catch pucks. There have definitely been negative dynamics in his career this last year.

First, I am awesome at my job and my family, well, they just tolerate me, so you got me there.

Sammy wasn't number 1 last year, and he's not been named #1 this year either. Lavi has said they will split games and he will go with the hot hand. So yeah, he better step up if he wants to become the #1 some day. He has competition, although so folks think his competition belongs in the ECHL, thats a different topic.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Bummed I wasn’t able to see Vitek’s first W but really, really happy for him. He has come a long way and I hope he continues to impress.

Side story. His first AHL victory was also a 2-1 win. Vitek was announced as the first star of the game, which means he would be interviewed on the ice with the Bears in game reporter. Vitek barely knew English at the time and Vrana convinced him to go out. The reported asks him a question about his game and Vitek without hesitation blurts out something like , “ I LOVE HERSHEY, ITS NICE!” and Vrana just started rolling laughing and the crowd cheered and laughed. It was an awesome moment

I agree completely, it was an awesome moment. I was scouting at that game but I always keep my Hershey roots and enjoy seeing things like that.

Something most aren't recognizing with Vitek is the fact that while he doesn't have NHL experience, he does have a lot of pro experience, training, mentoring over the last 5 years in a great environment in Hershey.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Don't know how much of it was BUF adjusting to gm.1 or WSH trying to protect VV but first 40 was painfully devoid of the Offense, surprised we got the 2 pts. but glad we did

Congrats to VV he looked great minus the cpl times making the save took him out of position (aka Fleury's trademark), that's one thing I love about Holtby's game -- economy of motion

On to PIT who's going to be desperate already sitting in the cellar and Jarry looking sieve-like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad