It's over, now let's fix it. Keyboard GMs unite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I honestly do not want Hendricks resigned. I'd much rather have Chimera be the 4LW than Hendy. Matt is a fan favorite but he's really a pretty bad NHL player. There are much better 4th line options out there that won't demand the contract that he will.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Their 3rd pair is crap, so everyone else gets more time. Besides, Wideman played over 20 a night last year on a team that was a game away from getting just as far as the Kings.

It's not opinion. The Kings are -1.04 G/60 and -7.3 S/60 with him on the ice. He's got a 0.52 GF ON/60 - literally the lowest of any defenseman with at least 10 games played in these playoffs. Offense dies on Regehr's stick. There's a reason a lot of Kings fans are apprehensive about this deal.

He could play top pair in DC easily. He'd be right at home on the 2nd pair. That's a testament to our D quality.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was using the fancystats from the SJ series as well actually, but whatever.

I mean if you disagree with that interpretation fine, but at least say so. Don't just point to the TOI; that doesn't mean much. If you think he's played well in those minutes then great.

So he's playing bad and the Kings as a team are just what, making up for how horrible he is? He's 4th in D icetime on a team in the Final 4. Chances are he's look like our 3rd/4th best D on most nights if he played here. He's a clear upgrade over Erskine no?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
So he's playing bad and the Kings as a team are just what, making up for how horrible he is? He's 4th in D icetime on a team in the Final 4. Chances are he's look like our 3rd/4th best D on most nights if he played here. He's a clear upgrade over Erskine no?

He's probably playing worse than any of their other Dmen, yeah. But that's generally a dominant team and he's not going to throw that off the rails.

I do think he's a clear upgrade over Erskine. I also think Erskine is a firm 6 at best so that doesn't mean much. A few years back I would have called Regehr one of the best defensive guys in hockey. He's not even in the same zip code anymore.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
you said that mcphee's career would be over. plain and simple unless he chose to retire after leaving the caps, he would have numerous opportunities in the nhl. he might return as a gm right away or may come back as an assistant. the idea that mcphee is considered a fool by those in the league is ridiculous.

thats the kind of thing fans think. mcphee runs the hockey team. he took a team to the finals. when the jagr team ran its course, he sold it off and rebuilt another contender in short order. look at the penguins build time or the lenth of time the leafs were out of the playoffs or the run of good fortune the thrashers and islanders and panthers have had in that period. look at calgary and edmonton.

further, mcphee over saw the brilliant change in uniforms and branding. yes, that was mcphee. he was in charge of building kettler which is considered by many the nicest facility in the league.

yea, he hasnt won a cup. winning a cup doesnt prove genious as feaster hasn't proven and not winning one doesnt prove an idiot. burke was a loser for not getting a cup in vancouver, a genious for anaheim and an idiot for toronto. right? either the guy is good or he isnt.

mcphee's nhl career would be no more over if leonsis didnt want him anymore than was boudreau's.

again, if you think he has been a failure at getting over the hump, i can see that. he certainly has been a failure at building a contending team and filling the building. if you think he should be replaced. i dont agree but can see your point. if you are saying he is not an nhl caliber general manager, we will just agree to disagree.

You're absolutely right. There are probably 3-5 down franchises each offseason who have cleaned house and would consider hiring a George McPhee if he and the Caps parted ways. He's proven he can take a cellar dweller (even if you ignore the whole lucking into a generational talent/star in Ovechkin) and has learned how to draft better and rebuild/restock the cupboards.

As long as that owner doesn't expect McPhee to build a team that will win a Cup with him at the helm...

You give McPhee a little too much credit. He didn't oversee the rebranding and new uniforms any more than any of the other 10 or so Execs of the team and owners. VP of Marketing, Dick Patrick, etc...I've also never read anything that said "he was in charge of building Kettler"...but OK, if you work in hockey, you should be able to help design a place with 2 rinks and a handful of offices/party rooms.

McPhee gets little to no credit for "taking a team to the finals" either. He made a few decent pickups, but otherwise that wasn't his team. There are also examples of teams who rebuilt faster. You focusing on the worst teams in that area doesn't change that reality.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He's probably playing worse than any of their other Dmen, yeah. But that's generally a dominant team and he's not going to throw that off the rails.

I do think he's a clear upgrade over Erskine. I also think Erskine is a firm 6 at best so that doesn't mean much. A few years back I would have called Regehr one of the best defensive guys in hockey. He's not even in the same zip code anymore.

His game has slipped. Happens with age. My position is simply that he would be a solid 2nd pair upgrade in DC for $3 mil. He would certainly provide valuable grit and leadership/mentorship to Green/Carlson/Alzner.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
His game has slipped. Happens with age. My position is simply that he would be a solid 2nd pair upgrade in DC for $3 mil. He would certainly provide valuable grit and leadership/mentorship to Green/Carlson/Alzner.

I'd take him as a 3rd pairing guy. I'd rather have someone who's actually good, and not just passable, on the 2nd pairing.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So having had a couple of weeks to reflect on the loss to the Rangers, my thoughts are these.

My patience with this team is really wearing thin (and that's saying something, given that I've been an STH in some fashion since 1988). I’m willing to pay money to support a team that addresses its weaknesses and takes steps to continually improve. It's become apparent that the Washington Capitals don't do that. I’m paying for hockey, not an “entertainment experience†but I'm not sure the owner knows or cares about the difference.

The organization’s failure to recognize and address the weak mental make-up of its core 3 (Ovie, Backstrom and Green), its unwillingness to frontally challenge them to become stronger, more committed players (which includes doing a helluva lot more in the off-season to get in shape and address flaws in their game) and better leaders has me very much questioning whether I want to continue to fork over money to this team. And if at some point the organization has confronted those 3, and they refused (either in word or action) to step up to the challenge, then management has to cut them loose.

Unfortunately, I've come to believe that the leaders of this organization are simply unwilling to confront the possibility that the major assets which they invested in have serious defects which, if not, addressed will condemn this team to mediocrity and stagnation -- which is where it has an has been since 2010. That's certainly how the rest of the NHL looks at the Capitals.

The problem with this team is that its core assets (Alex, Nick and Green) have proven that they cannot lead this team, since they lack qualities that effective and successful leaders of hockey teams possess: consistency coupled with an ability to raise their game in the playoffs; commitment to playing the right way at all times; dedication to improving their game; strength and resolve in the face of adversity; honesty with themselves and each other about their flaws and a commitment to fixing them; and a complete and total refusal to accept or articulate excuses for failure.

The excuse-making from this organization in the wake of the Rangers' loss was disgraceful. If the ease with which Boston dispatched the Rangers is not a three-alarm, wake-up call to the leaders of this organization and this team regarding just how NOT CLOSE they are to being successful, then we really are wasting our money.

I have little confidence that these issues will be addressed, since doing so requires the people at the top of the organization to confront unpleasant truths about the wisdom of some of their decisions.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So having had a couple of weeks to reflect on the loss to the Rangers, my thoughts are these.

My patience with this team is really wearing thin (and that's saying something, given that I've been an STH in some fashion since 1988). I’m willing to pay money to support a team that addresses its weaknesses and takes steps to continually improve. It's become apparent that the Washington Capitals don't do that. I’m paying for hockey, not an “entertainment experience†but I'm not sure the owner knows or cares about the difference.

The organization’s failure to recognize and address the weak mental make-up of its core 3 (Ovie, Backstrom and Green), its unwillingness to frontally challenge them to become stronger, more committed players (which includes doing a helluva lot more in the off-season to get in shape and address flaws in their game) and better leaders has me very much questioning whether I want to continue to fork over money to this team. And if at some point the organization has confronted those 3, and they refused (either in word or action) to step up to the challenge, then management has to cut them loose.

Unfortunately, I've come to believe that the leaders of this organization are simply unwilling to confront the possibility that the major assets which they invested in have serious defects which, if not, addressed will condemn this team to mediocrity and stagnation -- which is where it has an has been since 2010. That's certainly how the rest of the NHL looks at the Capitals.

The problem with this team is that its core assets (Alex, Nick and Green) have proven that they cannot lead this team, since they lack qualities that effective and successful leaders of hockey teams possess: consistency coupled with an ability to raise their game in the playoffs; commitment to playing the right way at all times; dedication to improving their game; strength and resolve in the face of adversity; honesty with themselves and each other about their flaws and a commitment to fixing them; and a complete and total refusal to accept or articulate excuses for failure.

The excuse-making from this organization in the wake of the Rangers' loss was disgraceful. If the ease with which Boston dispatched the Rangers is not a three-alarm, wake-up call to the leaders of this organization and this team regarding just how NOT CLOSE they are to being successful, then we really are wasting our money.

I have little confidence that these issues will be addressed, since doing so requires the people at the top of the organization to confront unpleasant truths about the wisdom of some of their decisions.

POTY. Agreed with everything you say here. The current core lacks the leadership fortitude to take them past the real contenders in the playoffs. And until management recognizes this and makes the tough decisions to shake up the core, they will just be tinkering with fringe players, thinking we are always just a 2nd line LW or 4th D man away from being a real contender.

We are not a real contender with this core leading this group of supporting cast.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Core players not panning out... Sarge, Ovi, Nick, Green... gotta go get to Ted before he sees that post

340x.jpg

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
POTY. Agreed with everything you say here. The current core lacks the leadership fortitude to take them past the real contenders in the playoffs. And until management recognizes this and makes the tough decisions to shake up the core, they will just be tinkering with fringe players, thinking we are always just a 2nd line LW or 4th D man away from being a real contender.

We are not a real contender with this core leading this group of supporting cast.

i dont think leadership is the biggest problem i think this team just sucks. winning the southeast was nothing to get exited about.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I recall McPhee flying in to Calgary during Green's golf event in the off-season a couple years back just to stop to meet with 19/52 and raise expectations. It takes more than being challenged, though, particularly if 8 isn't in the same boat. It takes supplying/supporting them properly and we haven't seen that to the extent necessary since 2010. Maybe Oates can help get more out of them but he hasn't proven that yet outside of the PP (and even that plus 6-on-5 situations let them down vs. NYR). Those teams a few years ago had an apparent strength, albeit equally as flawed overall, whereas since they've done much like VAN post-SCF in faking progress. Overall I get no sense of self-evaluation leading to coherent actions and any time that's the case in a competitive enterprise you're going to get left behind. There are good intentions but that's not nearly enough.

A core consisting of three players is too narrowly focused, particularly when the organizational approach isn't overly polished. Add 27, 74, 70 and that's a fair assessment of their go-to players but that's not enough. More go-to forwards are needed to be a contender. Instead they've kept around/acquired "competitive" mediocrity. Part of that may be their approach to possession generally being so lazy since Boudreau 2.0 but it's not a secondary supporting group that has done enough to catalyze offense. They're not so great defensively that they can ignore longstanding possession weaknesses.

All along management has turned a blind eye to bad habits and once that's done it's hard to suddenly ask a leopard to change their spots, especially when you're swapping out coaches left and right. Too much is seemingly left to chance when higher-end organizations have a better understanding of the things they're able to influence and control. Maybe with more time Oates & Co. can exert similar command and stability but it's going to take a GM that's equally clear-sighted. I'm not sure either really have what it takes to raise the bar to where it needs to be.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So the latest topic of speculation is that the Islanders are looking to move Rick DiPietro, along with other assets, to a team that would buy him out. The buyout would cost the receiving team $1.5M per year for the next 16 years, for a total of $24M.

Would Leonsis consider taking a $1.5M cash hit per year to acquire "other assets"?

:isles
G Michael Neuvirth
D Jeff Schultz

:caps
G Rick DiPietro
???

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I agree with Langway that it was the support that really let the team down this year. Yeah, the top line sucked, but that's to be expected to some degree when you're spending about 80% of your time on the ice with McDonagh and Girardi, and 100% with Lundqvist. I give Ovie and Nick some credit because we've seen them dominate in the playoffs in the past, and I don't think either was close to 100%. The Alzner-Green pairing had some gaffs, but they were easily our best line/pairing this year, especially on the PK. Green's been our best defenseman the past two post-seasons.

What killed us was our second line and second pairing. Our second and third lines were spending most of their time against Anton Stralman and a combination of Michael Del Zotto and John Moore. That's the flashing red weak spot on the Rangers, that's why they got their **** wrecked by a team with effective depth. Ribs and co should've feasted on those guys. Instead, they did jack **** at each end of the ice. On the second pairing, I shouldn't have to remind anyone about Erskine. I don't know how GMGM convinced himself that Erskine was going to keep playing that far above himself, but he did. He and Carlson were on for 8 GA each, out of the 16 total the Caps gave up.

Now is not the time to place the blame on our core. The problem is the lack of effective depth, which is the same problem we've had for years and which GMGM seems incapable of fixing. I'd love to see this core play with a supporting cast built by another GM. Really starting to wonder what it'd take to see that happen.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So the latest topic of speculation is that the Islanders are looking to move Rick DiPietro, along with other assets, to a team that would buy him out. The buyout would cost the receiving team $1.5M per year for the next 16 years, for a total of $24M.

Would Leonsis consider taking a $1.5M cash hit per year to acquire "other assets"?

:isles
G Michael Neuvirth
D Jeff Schultz

:caps
G Rick DiPietro
???

Pass on acquiring a longterm headache for 1 short term headache and Neuvy.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
It takes more than being challenged, though, particularly if 8 isn't in the same boat. It takes supplying/supporting them properly and we haven't seen that to the extent necessary since 2010

I don't know - I don't see a real big fall-off between the supporting cast we had in 2010 and what we have right now. I don't think the D of 2010 was any better than our D this year (which is unfortunate), and I'd say the same about lines 2-4, except that I think Semin was more of a weapon than Ribs. If anything, this year's supporting cast was better than 2010's. The difference is that opposing teams back then still played against Ovie and the 1st line on their heels, giving ground and ceding time and space, and that doesn't really happen anymore.

All along management has turned a blind eye to bad habits and once that's done it's hard to suddenly ask a leopard to change their spots, especially when you're swapping out coaches left and right. Too much is seemingly left to chance when higher-end organizations have a better understanding of the things they're able to influence and control.

I think this is spot-on. You look at what Boston has been able to do this year notwithstanding to injuries to some of their top players, and that's a testament to an organization that has a clear identity and certain baseline set of standards/expectations that anyone walking into that locker room knows they need to adhere to. Pains me to say that Pittsburgh seems to have that as well. We have the opposite - guys come here and are surprised at the lack of any such standards. It's telling when a 2nd year goalie ends up publicly calling out the team for getting too "comfortable" with a 2-0 lead in a 1st round playoff series.

It's not a coincedence that teams with strong identities and strong core leaders end up having strong depth.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
16 years??

Give us your best player and maybe we will consider it.

With nothing going back of course.

In other words, pass.

The league clearly has to do a better job of governing contracts. I am still pissed the Rangers were able to duck out of the Redden contract through the accelerated let them off the hook crap. What a sham and shame.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004

My patience with this team is really wearing thin (and that's saying something, given that I've been an STH in some fashion since 1988). I’m willing to pay money to support a team that addresses its weaknesses and takes steps to continually improve. It's become apparent that the Washington Capitals don't do that. I’m paying for hockey, not an “entertainment experience” but I'm not sure the owner knows or cares about the difference.

Good post, marcel s.

Patience is proper only when an earnest effort is being put in. Ted and the organization he has made is rudderless. Ted simply doesn't know what he is doing as an NHL owner. Winning the Stanley Cup is not his central goal. And nothing less will do as we are all finding out.

Patience would be good if we were competing in the ECF and Cup Finals and getting real close. As it is, disgust is what I feel.

Fire Ted!

Meantime:

:bruins

Last edited:

BrettXNA*

Ted just wants a team that is just good enough to make the playoffs
and that is what he has.
2009 - 2010 Needed a top defenseman to possibly push a contending quality
team over the top - nope no way we trade a prospect - out of the question.
2013 – In danger of missing the playoffs in a season they didnt have realistic shot
at a cup anyway - damn right we'll trade a top prospect in a desperate bid to make
the playoffs!

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
That doesn't make any sense. A deep playoff run makes him more money than just barely making the playoffs, and he's spending ~at the cap either way.

From just about any perspective he has to want to win, whether it's fandom or money or whatever that drives it. What you can question is how willing he is to step in and force something (again).

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Ted's motivation is not money. He wants prestige.

The trouble is that he doesn't have the will or expertise to earn that prestige. He wants to be loved and respected as if his NHL team has won 3 or 4 Stanley Cups without actually winning 3 or 4 Stanley Cups.

Without the will to win and the expertise to guide them, the Caps are hopeless.

Meantime:

:bruins

Halpysback*

That doesn't make any sense. A deep playoff run makes him more money than just barely making the playoffs, and he's spending ~at the cap either way.

From just about any perspective he has to want to win, whether it's fandom or money or whatever that drives it. What you can question is how willing he is to step in and force something (again).

Yes it does. From their perspective if a team is comfortably making the playoffs, then they're looking good already so why waste assets tweak working roster. We're cruising in the regular season with Jeff Schultz on the top pair, why the hell would that change in the playoffs? Likewise, if a team is struggling in the regular season, by god fix it so it makes the playoffs, cause then it's on an upward trajectory and project to go deep based on that.

This is why they buy hard for apparently little return (making the playoffs) but not for potentially way higher return (we're already looking good, no need to waste assets). Which would be fine if they had a ****ing clue what playoff hockey is supposed to look like. They lucked into it with Hunter but sadly that was short-lived.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
What's interesting, Hunter beat Boston with Schultz, Wideman and Hamrlik.

I do believe Scuderi can't be even close to Erskine. Sign him or somebody of that ability and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad