It's over, now let's fix it. Keyboard GMs unite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The caps are really not in a position to rebuild. They are in win now mode simply because of ovechkin and his contract.

If you want to tinker you can, but really this team is not going to get much better unless Kuznetsov comes over and dominates.

Ideally this should be the lineup.

Ovie Riberio Net prescence

Riberio is perfect for ovie, and ovie can shoot all day long and the net prescence ala knuble just gets deflections and cheap putbacks.

2ND LINE

Kuzentsov Backstrom Erat

I like backstrom but i dont think he is a number 1 center anymore. I do think he is the best number 2 center in the league. But he is not going to putting up goals like he used to, he simply is a playmaker at this point and that hinders his playmaking since teams can play him not to shoot. The best playmakers need to be a threat to score as well. Here he is surrounded by 2 viable shooters

Ward Laich Wilson.... Physical line that can really forecheck with skill. Would be among the best 3rd lines in the league

Henricks Beagle Chimera.... love this 4th line especially beagle

Green Alzner
Orlov Carlson
? ?

Trade MOJO for some D help and this is the best you can hope for as a caps fan imo.

Very good roster.

Lefty9420

Mar 12, 2012
you must have forgotten that the caps were not horrible for all that long and the number of lottery picks they had was not that big. they made the playoffs for the first time in the rebuild when the 2nd top 5 pick, backstrom, was a rookie.

Ok, let me rephrase then. Lottery or high 1st rd picks/multiple 1st rd picks vs late rd picks. By the numbers:

Number of 1st rdrs by year, pick in ()
'02- 3 (12,13,17)
'03- 1 (18)
'04- 3 (1,27,29)
'05- 2 (14,27)
'06- 2 (4,23)
'07- 1 (5)
'08- 1 (21)
'09- 1 (24)
'10- 1 (26)
'11- 0 (earliest pick was Rd 4)
'12- 2 (11, 16)

So from 2002 -2007 they either had mulitple 1st rd picks or lottery/high draft picks. These are the picks that they acquired guys like Ovie, Semin, backstrom, Alzner, Green, Varly, Fehr, Boyd Gordon, Shultz. All guys who won in Hershey and came up and contributed in Washington in a big way.

Since 08 when the Caps began their run, Carlsson and marcus Jo. are the only 1st rounders that have contributed to the Caps. Forsberg was traded and who knows about Kuznetsov. They have fewer high end picks/prospects which leads to fewer guys being ready to step in, which is the point I was making.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well...if this is the case that the contract is up...there is no reason whatsoever to renew that thing..

having a new gm with the old gm's coach is disfunctional to start with. thats a reason to keep mcphee. otherwise, i would tend to agree.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
obviously i wasnt talking about this series. we were refearing to the failures in the years before.

thats true. my point would be that the weight of the losing has taken its toll on ovechkin as much or more than the others. 13 hits. sounds like anger and frustration and even fear to me.

i dont think sending one of those guys out is going to fix the problem. one sends a message but this effect of all this embarrassing losing goes beyond what a message can fix. ovechkin needs to be a second banana somewhere right now. backstrom needs to be a really good 2c. green needs to play somewhere else where winning the first two playoff games in a series doesnt immediately bring out the demons.

this team's bench chance to win a cup was the fedorov years. i dont think there is another fedorov out there to bring in for this team

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
So some of the proposals coming in from the main board as well as here so far are:

Backstrom for St. Louis Blues David Backes

Mike Green for Colorado Paul Stastny

MAJO or Neuvirth for Phoenix's Kesla

Be honest I don't watch that much of the Western Conference (way past my bed time) to know that much about these players so don't know if the return value is fair.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ok, let me rephrase then. Lottery or high 1st rd picks/multiple 1st rd picks vs late rd picks. By the numbers:

Number of 1st rdrs by year, pick in ()
'02- 3 (12,13,17)
'03- 1 (18)
'04- 3 (1,27,29)
'05- 2 (14,27)
'06- 2 (4,23)
'07- 1 (5)
'08- 1 (21)
'09- 1 (24)
'10- 1 (26)
'11- 0 (earliest pick was Rd 4)
'12- 2 (11, 16)

So from 2002 -2007 they either had mulitple 1st rd picks or lottery/high draft picks. These are the picks that they acquired guys like Ovie, Semin, backstrom, Alzner, Green, Varly, Fehr, Boyd Gordon, Shultz. All guys who won in Hershey and came up and contributed in Washington in a big way.

Since 08 when the Caps began their run, Carlsson and marcus Jo. are the only 1st rounders that have contributed to the Caps. Forsberg was traded and who knows about Kuznetsov. They have fewer high end picks/prospects which leads to fewer guys being ready to step in, which is the point I was making.

i dont agree with your premise then. besides that, i find it hard to carry on a debate with someone that spells john carlson with those dopey two S's. Karlsson is a Swede. Carlson is an american.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fortunately for us, he won't, since they just hired a new coach.. right?

you seem so antagonistic, my friend. if you dont agree that management wants their own management team, lets just disagree. most agree that sports gm's want their own coach.

most radio station general managers want their own program directors and sales managers. they want their most important second tier managers to be people they know and trust.

ive seen it and lived it for years and years.

if you dont want to take that from my experience, i can live that. the rest is just attitude that i dont need.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Capitals defensman at this time

Left Shooting - Right Shooting
Alzner - Green
Erksine - Carlson
Kundratek - Olesky
Hillen - Wey
Orlov -
Schilling -
Schmidt -

If the Caps were to trade Green, with Orlov being a left shooting d-man who likes to play RD, the defensive pairings could look something like this if Caps did not address the defense in the off season:
Alzner - Carlson
Hillen/Erskine - Orlov
Kundratek - Olesky

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Kundratek is a right-handed shot.

kundratek_6693881543_3f9ea1f189_z.jpg

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Capitals defensman at this time

Left Shooting Right Shooting
Alzner Green
Erksine Carlson
Kundratek Olesky
Hillen Wey
Orlov
Schilling
Schmidt

If the Caps were to trade Green, with Orlov being a left shooting d-man who likes to play RD, the defensive pairings could look something like this if Caps did not address the defense in the off season:
Alzner - Carlson
Hillen/Erskine - Orlov
Kundratek - Olesky

Fixing the D is so simple it's ludicrous.

Just sign Rob Scuderi. A top 4 of:

Scuderi-Green
Alzner-Carlson

Is above average to very good.

Find $5 million dollars and find a GM who isn't allergic to the free agent market.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Fixing the D is so simple it's ludicrous.

Just sign Rob Scuderi. A top 4 of:

Scuderi-Green
Alzner-Carlson

Is above average to very good.

Find $5 million dollars and find a GM who isn't allergic to the free agent market.

Very much this... but GMGM has passed on good top-4 LD options in the past (Willie Mitchell?) so I'm not anticipating this actually coming to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad