Pre-Game Talk: It's official: Leafs vs Bruins [Game 1 on Wed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I'm so excited for this series! I actually want us to play Boston instead of Montreal in the first round considering how our last game went...

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Positive guys, we will take them in 6
we played them good alL year, close games.
Cover kessel, look out for lupul and kadri

go leafs go

we match up better with boston, tough games

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Stanley Cup Preview: 4th Seed Boston vs 5th Seed Toronto

Toronto Maple Leafs:
26-17-5
How we Did Overall (at a glance).
Goals per game: 3.0 (6th Overall)
Goals Against: 2.7 (17th Overall)
Powerplay: 18.7% (14th Overall)
Penalty Kill: 87.9% (2nd Overall).

vs:

Boston Bruins:
28-14-6

How they Did Overall: (at a glance).

Goals per game: 2.7 (13th overall)
Goals Against: 2.2 (3rd Overall)
Powerplay: 14.2% (28th overall)
Penalty Kill: 87.0% (4th Overall)

Season Series: 1-2-1 Boston Bruins Win Series

Leafs 0, Bruins 1
Leafs 2, Bruins 4
Leafs 3, Bruins 2
Leafs 2, Bruins 3 (Shootout Loss)

How we Fared Against Boston:

Goals: 7
Goals Against: 9
Goals Per Game: 1.75
Goals Against: 2.25
Differential: -0.50

Shots Per Game: 21.5
Shots Against: 30.3
Differential: -08.8
Save Percentage: .926

Penalty Minutes: 40
Penalty Minutes Against: 48
Differential -8

Leaf Notes:
Once upon a time, the Toronto Maple Leafs used to be really good against Boston. And then we started trading with Boston. We gave them Rask, Kaberle, a 2nd overall pick and whatever Dougie Hamilton was. Also. they won the cup. Also. We got Kessel. Also, they smoked us last year. (horrendously). This year, we grew up a little, and only played 4 poor periods, (blowing a 2, 2 goal leads). But we actually beat them.

All four games were close affairs - we were in it for all games. Limit the brain farts and poor scoring, we're in it.

Bright spots:
"Silent" Jay McClemment. He has logged in more short handed minutes than any player in the league. Next behind him are a slew of defensemen. Because of him, the Leafs have moved from
30th to 2nd in the league on the PK, being known for their aggressiveness and plugging up the shooting lanes. They have scored a few shorthanded goals (Tyler "Flowzak" Bozak), but don't really have that "Fear Of God" that not only can they stop you: we can also score.
(great habit: making Leaf Nation not afraid to actually watch the penalty kill, and chip the puck out of the zone).

James "Optimus" Reimer: People were completely, utterly unsure if this was the guy of the future. Because of Brian Gionta's flying elbow last year, Reimer looked iffy. And then he was backup. Then he won the spot and was flying through the season, and then he hurt his knee. And then he was weak. And then we were afraid. We were petrified. And then. Reimer turned it on, like the goalie a lot of Leafs Nation thought he would be, and stealing games (we had no business stealing) and got an awesome blessing from Brodeur: "if he always played like this, I don't know why they were looking for another goalie."
Nonis has since come out stating that he talked to both Scrivens & Reimer and said any talk about getting type/kind of veteran goaltender was not to usurp James as #1, but to be a mentor. (ala: Giguere). Now we have to see if under the bright Toronto Pressure Lights, if its time for some Reime-time.
(great habit: able to shake bad games off, and get back to work).

Nazem "Krayon/Nifty Mittens/Dream" Kadri: put on a clinic in the first 2.5 months of the shortened season, actually being in the top 10 of league scoring for a while. He had hit a cold spot recently (Hadn't scored in three weeks, before scoring against the season finale game against Ottawa, incidentally the last team he scored 3 goals against). Due to his size/speed, he is known for drawing a penalty. (Yet doesn't dive). He has been falling lax regarding his defensive play but will get better with time. Is also known for chirping. A lot. And hitting. hard. Apparently in all his playoffs he turns into a Playoff Beast. We can only hope we see this now.
(great habit: drawing penalties, setting up beautiful plays).

"King" Joffery Lupul: Lupul who recently signed a 5 year extension has had a very up and down season. Not due to play, but due to health. 25 games gone to a broken arm (thanks Dion), several games missed due to a concussion (thanks Philadelphia) but he has had the habit of scoring the big goals when it is time. One of our few players that have playoff experience. (We are currently mad at him for opening his big fat mouth against Montreal, but as he is Clutch, we'll forgive him)
(great habit: the ability to put his team on his back)

Leo "Trollamov" Komarov: "I like to hit." also. he likes to troll. And he can score goals at the weirdest angles, and they just. go. in. And his playoff beard is known to know no bounds.

Phill the Thrill Kessel: no goals in 10 games, yet ends up 6th in NHL scoring anyway (20 goals again at 25. awesome). but his game has become more complete as a passer and defensively. there's just one issue Leafs Nation has: the lack of getting all gritty in the corners. Again he can turn beastly in the playoffs.
Dion "Oh Captain!" Phaneuf. (also known as Far and Wide, but not so much). play him 25 minutes, he's gold. play him longer, not so much. but the team sees him as his leader, and he's totally doing something right, most nights.
Team Bright Spots:
the one for all, and all for one, and by the way we burned the boats: the team isn't soft anymore, you can't mess with the team without one of Orr, McLaren, Fraser going after you. We will smack you.
the penalty kill: the thorn in our side no longer.

The Dark Spots:

Mikhail Grabovski: gut issues aside, he is known as the place where the play goes to die. He tends not to pass the puck too much, or he'll pass it unwisely, or, he'll cause a turnover.

Mike "Thor" Kostka: ditto. (even though most of the time - it's not his fault. but he doesn't have much ice awareness, and Jason Blakes the puck (or Phaneufs it, far and wide).

Clarke MacArthur: see above. (but may be key in playoff time).

Team Dark Spots:
the "we scored two goals, wait, you mean the game's not done yet?!" syndrome. 1/2 the losses this team has had, has been directly because the team has blown a two goal lead. It's never been a one goal lead., or even a 3 goal lead, just. two. (honourable mention goes to shootouts, but there are no shootouts in playoffs, so that's moot).

Powerplay: it's not in the depths of dispair, but the first part of the season, we couldn't score on 5-3s to save our lives, and recently, the Powerplay tends to look more like a penalty kill.

the "wait, you mean we have to play THREE periods?!" syndrome. In February the team had gone through a stretch of games where they had brain farts/Carlyle mentioned them as they just stopped skating (we live/die by our forecheck, lack of forecheck). this got rectified somewhat in March, but April, it came back, but instead of 5-10 minutes, it has now become more of: periods. not. good.

Outshot vs. Outshooting: even dating back to 2000, 2001, 2002, the Leafs have been notorious for being outshot in games, yet winning (and even more mysteriously, outshooting: and losing games). most of the shots that the leafs give up, to tend to be around the perimeter and lack of quality scoring chances, but it does cause some concern when we can't shoot ANYTHING to save our lives. (see: 4 seperate games, where we had less than 3 shots on goal for an entire period and a half). I am going to chalk this up to being a young team, and needing more vets/experience in some positions.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 4m
Cruel fate for Leafs? Franchise back in playoffs for first time in nine years & must face Bruins, who are 26-6-5 in last 37 v Toronto

Hockey Gods playing a cruel joke. :laugh:

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
pYEbFcH.gif

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Sad, sad, sad.

Leafs could have determined their opponent.

Instead they handed it to the Canadiens and Sens to do it.

Weirdly appropriate for Lupul opening his yaphole about smaller opponents.

:laugh:

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
**** I still can't believe the Bruins just lost to Ottawa....seriously wtf

I really wanted to see the leafs vs habs play

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm so bitter but this is all on the Leafs for not winning yesterday. No way we're going to win this series but at least it's playoff hockey :\

No way the Leafs were going to make the playoffs with Reims and Scrivy as the goaltenders, people said. People were counting out this team even before the first puck drop. Look where they are. 5th seed in the East, with the second most regulation/OT wins in the conference. They will be fine. This is just another chapter in the Leafs proving people wrong.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Can we just concede and make our way to the golf course already?

We don't stand a chance. I would rather have played any other team in the league.

It's sad that we wait so long to make it into the playoffs, than we get stuck playing the team that can simply destroy us any night of the week. Leafs fault though, we controlled our own fate, we should have won vs the Habs last night, instead we came out flat.

I guess I'll just start to look forward to draft...

darty

Dec 1, 2008
They're struggling and have little to no time to figure it out. Problem is we're struggling too. If we go down, I just hope we go down swinging. This may be a blessing in disguise. Face your fears, Leafs!

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
bear-fight-man.jpg

If the Leafs get past the Bruins; they will have the self-esteem to take on anybody. This almost seems like fate. bring them on; vindication lies ahead!

I imagine neither team will be able to compete after this series. It's going to be a slug-fest. This is what the playoffs are all about; not the pathetic diving pansy Habs. We wanted the playoffs; now we have them.

EDDIE20*

Oh hell yeah!

Let's get this done. Yeah, it's the big, bad Bruins but something tells me it won't be a cakewalk for Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland