It's January 1993: would you rather make the playoffs or bust?

The Spaniard

Nov 3, 2010
Madrid
For the sake of argument, I'll stipulate the following:

- Imagine it's January 1993, so you have no idea what happens next
- There is a lottery, by missing the playoffs you have a shot at the 1st pick

Team has some talent but, not a contender.

After a good start with a 16–5–3 record, they slump with 8–9–2 in their next 19 games.

A young extremely talented quebecois called Alexandre Daigle is available at the draft.

Everybody agrees he is amazing, some even compare him to Gretzky!!!

It's January 1993, would you rather make the playoffs or bust?

:popcorn:

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Keep praying for a miracle, man.

By the way.. Damphousse Bellows is better than anything we have up front..

Not to mention that defense in front of Roy was great too.

The Spaniard

Nov 3, 2010
Madrid
Paul Kariya and Chris Pronger also available!

Let's tank, this team sucks.

Demers doesn't have a university degree, can he even read?

The smurf Stephan Lebeau is a joke, shouldn't be in the NHL.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
2-14 isn't the same as 8-9-2 tho.

Also, hindsight is 20/20.

With hindsight, if you were a Sens fan, what would you prefer for your team's long term benefit for the past season? Late season surge & first round exit or let it go and tank for a top pick?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'd definitely "exchanger Roy" as the Upper Deck billboard advertised. That Racicot is the future and accumulating the picks would serve us well, especially since there's no chance of winning the Cup.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
2-14 isn't the same as 8-9-2 tho.

Also, hindsight is 20/20.

With hindsight, if you were a Sens fan, what would you prefer for your team's long term benefit for the past season? Late season surge & first round exit or let it go and tank for a top pick?

8-9-2 would be a dream right now.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
For sake of reality, the situation right now is much worse. Demers was a much better coach than Michel Therrien.

The Spaniard

Nov 3, 2010
Madrid
By the way.. Damphousse Bellows is better than anything we have up front..

But not has good has Pittsburgh.

Even Nordiques with Sundin and Sakic are better.

Division is too strong with the Nordiques and Boston, and even if we make it by miracle, we stand no chance agaisnt the Penguins.

We have no Lemieux, no Sakic, no Oates, we need Daigle.

Not to mention that defense in front of Roy was great too.

Desjardins, Schneider... not bad I guess... then.. Brisebois, hum, ok.... then... Daigneault, Odelein... is that really great? Contender great?

This D needs Chris Pronger to become really elite.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
But not has good has Pittsburgh.

Even Nordiques with Sundin and Sakic are better.

Division is too strong with the Nordiques and Boston, and even if we make it by miracle, we stand no chance agaisnt the Penguins.

We have no Lemieux, no Sakic, no Oates, we need Daigle.

Desjardins, Schneider... not bad I guess... then.. Brisebois, hum, ok.... then... Daigneault, Odelein... is that really great? Contender great?

This D needs Chris Pronger to become really elite.

you're comparing a team with a faaaar better offense and goaltending that isn't even measurable on how much better it is...also, Demers was known as a "players coach" and Therrien is known as a "hard-ass motivator"...give it a rest, amigo; you're not even comparing the same species here...

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
...more like Apples and Throw Pillows...ridiculous comparison...:shakehead

Many posters (self included) survived that Cup. Fans had Demers' back even more than the journalists (for example Ronald King from LaPresse, or other columnists that mocked how pious he was).

I don't remember January 1993 specifically, but in general there was still hope. Not jump out the windows once-in-75-years dark despair.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
8-9-2 is a rough patch
4-14-1 is a disaster

Not really a close comparison, since the 93 team was much better overall.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I made no comparison with this season.

You are saying hope for a miracle.

Re tooling and getting tangible assets to build around the young core and getting new coach and management in touch with the new NHL is a smart investment.

A stupid investment is going all in on a stock that is trending further and further down.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
If Price hadn't been injured, we would easily have a 8-9 record like they did with Roy.

I'm pretty sure we've had 8-9 records with Price before. Would the damage have been limited to that? I don't know. It's obvious that this team has shown itself useless without Price. He's part and parcel of everything these Habs are. In a way that goes far beyond Lundqvist, Bishop or Quick.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
If Price hadn't been injured, we would easily have a 8-9 record like they did with Roy.

...so, again, if the best goaltender in the World was still with us, he could continue to mask the severe problems and issues with our team and its management...brilliant; let's all pretend to be ostriches and keep our heads buried in the sand while our team falls apart at the seams...what good little sheep we are...:shakehead

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

If has no value, and counts for nothing. It's merely a descriptor to describe a change in history. Anything imaginable can be an if but all have the same non value since they didn't exist.

To counter the Price if, if Toronto had won more games than any other team last year including the Habs, they would have won the Stanley Cup. Understand ...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad