GDT: It's Beginning To Look A lot Like Hockey Season. STL vs DAL. Don't make me break out the trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Why does Kyrou suck? He has so much skill but he sucks. I see other teams with guys just like him but their guys can dangle guys and score. Kyrou can't even go in a straight line at top sped and shoot.
he only cares about being on tiktok highlight reels and being trending on twitter. just scoring on a simple shot is not good enough for high maintenance queens like kyrou.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I have nothing really to be upset about with this game. We are expected to be a bottom 1/2 of the league team and Dallas is supposed to be a top 10 (or top 5 for a lot). We took them to the skills comp and the defense looked at least average. We need to work on our PP and our 3rd line needs to build Chemistry.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I have nothing really to be upset about with this game. We are expected to be a bottom 1/2 of the league team and Dallas is supposed to be a top 10 (or top 5 for a lot). We took them to the skills comp and the defense looked at least average. We need to work on our PP and our 3rd line needs to build Chemistry.
neighbors is not a NHL player still.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
ding dongs trying to get too fancy and make the nhl compilations rather than go in an just score a goal (like dallas)
The Blues were more tired. They did get a halfway decent amount of good chances. The Stars have more good skaters, who can excel in OT. By skating around and keeping the puck, they can keep the puck away from The Blues while they can change shifts, and The Blues can't. After 3-4 shifts by them with Blues' players being on the ice for too long, they can get 2 on 1s and score, or draw penalties and win it on The Power Play. They got to The Shootout, where they have the advantage with more higher-skilled shooters. The Blues tired out about half way through The 3rd. So, they were lucky to come out of this game with one point.

But I'm encouraged by their better sytstem and execution by their defenceman in The Neutral and Own Zones, as well as that of the forwards in the overall team defence. And Binnington looked okay during the game (if not-so-great-in The Shootout. I don't think they'll be as bad as they were last season, and they'll be interesting to watch THIS season.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Tucker played well.
Thomas killed several possessions with horrible passes but still created chances.
Scandella sucks
Parayko played incredibly well and aggressively.
Hates took the penalty in OT but he was noticeable all night.
Faulk had simply lazy plays at times.
Binnington was the #1 star
The 4th line has to figure out how to keep the puck in the offensive zone
Krug is Krug

Blues on pace for 82 points :)

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
So all the people that whined it wasn't all on the coaches, our defense sucks! A legit defense game plan makes our guys not look like shit. Such a shock right?
And Berube is a defence-first coach. Who'd guess that he'd let that mess go on ALL of last season??? After winning The Cup, The whole Organisation became too lax, thinking the winning would automatically continue. they forgot that even the best teams have to keep working. Winning doesn't come just from stepping out onto the ice. No coach I ever knew would have tolerated that. Nice to see that The team is back to some discipline.

Reactions: Xerloris

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Tucker played well.
Thomas killed several possessions with horrible passes but still created chances.
Scandella sucks
Parayko played incredibly well and aggressively.
Hates took the penalty in OT but he was noticeable all night.
Faulk had simply lazy plays at times.
Binnington was the #1 star
The 4th line has to figure out how to keep the puck in the offensive zone
Krug is Krug

Blues on pace for 82 points :)
The Blues expended a LOT of energy early, trying to make sure The Stars wouldn't use The Home-opener crowd and being at home to establish dominance. It hurt them later, as they were gassed by the middle of The 3rd. they were lucky to hang on to OT. But then, The Stars used that situation to tire The Blues out even more by playing keep-away with the puck to keep getting shift changes for themselves while the same Blues shift couldn't, leaving them way overtired, so they'd lose the game on an uncontested shot on a 2 on 1, or force a tired Blue to commit a penalty, and then win on the power play.

The Blues really needed better puck luck on one or two of their early shots, or Binnington to play lights out in The Shootout, to win this game.

Fez Whatley

Jun 7, 2015
I was unable to catch the game tonight. How was the defense / goaltending? Is it too early to get excited for the Jordan Winnington revenge tour?

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I was unable to catch the game tonight. How was the defense / goaltending? Is it too early to get excited for the Jordan Winnington revenge tour?
goaltending was great. defense was solid outside of Krug who sucks. PP was abysmal. PK was good.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Just got done watching the game. The good, the bad and the ugly...

Good:
-Binnington - He started a bit wobbly. He fumbled a save that a D had to clear out of the crease and I didn't love the off sides goal or the Benn goal from him. But damn, did he shut the door after that.
-Sunny - Great game overall, great PK especially at the end of OT, had chances, good to have him back. Missing a step and visibly slower, but still a difference maker
-Parayko - He did a great job boxing people out from the puck and skating the puck out of bad situations
-The D scheme - Looks like its working better. We are stepping up, defending the line and not giving up easy chances
- The first line had some really good looks in transition, and off the rush.
-Overall,its good to get a point and not look completely out of place against one of the better teams in the league...

Bad:
- ...without their #1 C. They were missing Hintz who is arguably as good as any we have
- We never ever looked like we the better team. The whole game I just felt happy we were hanging in, not feeling like we were taking control.
- We absolutely never established offensive possession until the last minute of the game. I don't think we had 20 seconds of sustained pressure or two shots in any 1 zone entry until the end. It was a quick one and done all night. We are transitioning to a quicker strike team, but we still need to wear some teams down with possession as well, especially, the bottom 3 lines.
- Our PP#1 was atrocious at setting up in the zone.
-Scandella - Bad read on the goal, and a couple other bad plays. We need him to be better defensively.

Ugly
- I don't have an ugly. It was a good first game.....
-....Ok, Krug stepping up on a guy at the Blue line :laugh: Thank god for the post there.

Last edited:

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Its too early to determine anything other than they played a fairly solid road game against a good team in game 1. Defensively -- they looked much better than last season until the back half of the 3rd where they looked a lot like last season's D.. Point being -- we still know nothing.

Its a different era when losing still feels like a win, huh?

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Holy hell that was an entertaining first game! Binner can still be elite…team defense looks better already. They upgraded the bottom six, coaching staff and goaltending. Great depth with Alexandrov and Perunovich.

Offensively they couldn’t quite get it going tonight and sustain enough pressure but its game 1, give it time to gelI. I think Tucker might be underrated offensively, he seems to have some have ability there and can contribute…seems smart and knows when to jump in there and plays with fire and is aggressive.

I like the 4 line combos they have right now but if the offense continues to struggle I would maybe consider putting Kapanen with Thomas and Kyrou, he can be defensively adequate and keep up with them. Then put Buch on right wing with Saad and Schenn to give them some more dynamic skill to work with.

And lastly I liked JK and Jamie calling the game. I’d prefer Panger but I like Rivers and thought he did a good job.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Holy hell that was an entertaining first game! Binner can still be elite…team defense looks better already. They upgraded the bottom six, coaching staff and goaltending. Great depth with Alexandrov and Perunovich.

Offensively they couldn’t quite get it going tonight and sustain enough pressure but its game 1, give it time to gelI. I think Tucker might be underrated offensively, he seems to have some have ability there and can contribute…seems smart and knows when to jump in there and plays with fire and is aggressive.

I like the 4 line combos they have right now but if the offense continues to struggle I would maybe consider putting Kapanen with Thomas and Kyrou, he can be defensively adequate and keep up with them. Then put Buch on right wing with Saad and Schenn to give them some more dynamic skill to work with.

And lastly I liked JK and Jamie calling the game. I’d prefer Panger but I like Rivers and thought he did a good job.
Rivers drives me insane with his repetitiveness. "________ are doing a great/good job of ________"

I dont mind him but he needs to refine and expand his commentary. I hope he does because if not Im going to have to start muting my TV again by game 20 or start listening to the opposing broadcasts.

Honestly listening to the other side is pretty refreshing. Its constantly changing and you get an honest perspective as they are not beholden by the Blues Org.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Rivers drives me insane with his repetitiveness. "________ are doing a great/good job of ________"

I dont mind him but he needs to refine and expand his commentary. I hope he does because if not Im going to have to start muting my TV again by game 20 or start listening to the opposing broadcasts.

Honestly listening to the other side is pretty refreshing. Its constantly changing and you get an honest perspective as they are not beholden by the Blues Org.
I like listening to away announcers too its good to get an objective perspective, it’s refreshing to watch national broadcasts on TNT and espn for that reason. Its hard to please everyone, Rivers isnt the best but I dont mind him. I’m usually high drinking beers when I watch anyway so I dont need A+ commentary all the time to get into the game.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Always fun to see other peoples perspectives of the same event.

I thought the Blues had a very good second period (better team), but fell apart in the last 10 minutes of the third. Dallas really put it to us and as others have said, we had no sustained pressure.

As for the OT, WTF with Faulk taking 2 shots that were easy for the goalie to save. Thomas wins the draw and he just take 2 bad shots in OT. Would rather have kept possession. Decision making by him was questionable tonight.

The Good is the D system looks much like it did during the cup run. The bad, Schenn's line. There is no dynamic players on that line. Schenn and Saad are both shooters, not someone who really generates offense for other players. Kap is Kap.

Reactions: stl76

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Always fun to see other peoples perspectives of the same event.

I thought the Blues had a very good second period (better team), but fell apart in the last 10 minutes of the third. Dallas really put it to us and as others have said, we had no sustained pressure.

As for the OT, WTF with Faulk taking 2 shots that were easy for the goalie to save. Thomas wins the draw and he just take 2 bad shots in OT. Would rather have kept possession. Decision making by him was questionable tonight.

The Good is the D system looks much like it did during the cup run. The bad, Schenn's line. There is no dynamic players on that line. Schenn and Saad are both shooters, not someone who really generates offense for other players. Kap is Kap.
The top line is good, but I am not sure about they middle 6. Maybe the just need time to gel, but it’s a bit of an odd collection of parts this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad