"it would be nice to have another veteran guy on the team that’s for sure"

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
“He was a really good leader — and he didn’t have an easy job. We weren’t the best team during his tenure as captain, but he did a really good job of keeping everyone on the same page.

“There were a lot of times in the last four years where Shawn stepped up and said the right thing; really got us back on track. (Andrew Ference) has been a really good captain for us, but it would be nice to have another veteran guy on the team that’s for sure.â€

These are quotes from Taylor Hall. You can find them [here].

I was going to put this in the GDT, but I think it's deserving of its own thread.

What do you take from this? I don't think Hall is just paying Horcoff lip service. I think this is the on ice leader of the hockey team who isn't at that point in his career where he can unite the locker room under the game plan.

Do they needs more help in terms of leadership? Hall is saying they do.

Management's hope was the kids would step up and be the leadership group and hold each other accountable. This hasn't happened. They aren't ready.

Hall is saying Ference can't do it himself. Ference needs more veteran help, he team needs more veteran help.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
6765723.jpg

"Did someone say trade for more prospects?"

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
I think Hall see's it just as clearly as most of us fans do, this team has massive holes, all over the ice, Leadership is one of them. It's the reason why guys like Smyth have been kept around, to try and help bring in the culture that was here before.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I think Hall see's it just as clearly as most of us fans do, this team has massive holes, all over the ice, Leadership is one of them. It's the reason why guys like Smyth have been kept around, to try and help bring in the culture that was here before.

I probably like Smyth more then the next guy because of some emotional attachment in my youth, but I've never seen Smyth as strong voice behind the scene or in the locker room. He'll go out there and leave his teeth on the ice, but I don't think he's resonating in the room.

He's more important to the fans then he is to the young adult players IMO.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if yakupov said the exact same thing the media would be butchering him for accusing MacT of not doing his job and criticizing his teammates

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
I probably like Smyth more then the next guy because of some emotional attachment in my youth, but I've never seen Smyth as strong voice behind the scene or in the locker room. He'll go out there and leave his teeth on the ice, but I don't think he's resonating in the room.

He's more important to the fans then he is to the young adult players IMO.

I'd say something similar for Hemsky.

I just hope, guy's like Smyth, aren't past the point of leading by example, even in beer league hockey, every team has that try hard guy you love to look up to and he gets the team going with his effort. Smyth used to be that guy, I just hope it's not past the point, where he is the guy who everyone want's off the team, because he just makes matters worse.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
These are quotes from Taylor Hall. You can find them [here].

I was going to put this in the GDT, but I think it's deserving of its own thread.

What do you take from this? I don't think Hall is just paying Horcoff lip service. I think this is the on ice leader of the hockey team who isn't at that point in his career where he can unite the locker room under the game plan.

Do they needs more help in terms of leadership? Hall is saying they do.

Management's hope was the kids would step up and be the leadership group and hold each other accountable. This hasn't happened. They aren't ready.

Hall is saying Ference can't do it himself. Ference needs more veteran help, he team needs more veteran help.

This team needs the ****ing Christopher Pronger in his prime.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I just hope, guy's like Smyth, aren't past the point of leading by example, even in beer league hockey, every team has that try hard guy you love to look up to and he gets the team going with his effort. Smyth used to be that guy, I just hope it's not past the point, where he is the guy who everyone want's off the team, because he just makes matters worse.

At this point MacT may as well lace them up himself. He'd be about as useful as Smyth.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Too bad Hall and the boys have been tainted. This was my worst fear. A loser Captain, who accepted losing, accepted his massive pay check and was never personally accountable is now being lauded as a key piece.

Here's a friggin clue, with Horcoff this team was sheer and utter garbage. Horcoff played like crap most of the last 5 years.

Worst move this team ever made was making him captain, just a horrible decision that is haunting us now. The once promising kids having an example of that guy as to how to behave in this league.

Makes me want to barf.

Edit: Oh, and Hall how about you shutting your trap or start acting like the great leader everyone and their dog says you are instead of making comments about Yakupov and now indirectly at your current captain.

Last edited:

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
Too bad Hall and the boys have been tainted. This was my worst fear. A loser Captain, who accepted losing, accepted his massive pay check and was never personally accountable is now being lauded as a key piece.

Here's a friggin clue, with Horcoff this team was sheer and utter garbage. Horcoff played like crap most of the last 5 years.

Worst move this team ever made was making him captain, just a horrible decision that is haunting us now. The once promising kids having an example of that guy as to who to behave in this league.

Makes me want to barf.

Hard to Argue you point about the team being Utter Garbage, clearly this year has proven how much he was holding the team back.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 1m
Sam Gagner says he owes a lot to Horcoff. Helped him shape his career and become more of a leader. #Oilers

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 41s
"We've had a lot of ups and downs here, but no matter what the situation, Horc came in every morning, led this group and worked hard." - 89

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
I wish we had a guy like Thornton on this team.

Rishaug: So yakupov, what are your thoughts on being press boxed again, you lazy russian *******.

Thornton: hey listen, if I was getting that kind of PB treatment, id whip out my **** and be stroking it in the press box.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Pang said it perfectly this morning on 1260.

If Tarasenko was pissed at his ice-time, not a chance in hell guys like Backes, Steen, and Jackman let him say a word to the media about it.

Not criticizing Ference....he's obviously a warrior on the ice and exactly the type of guy we need that embraces the community and stuff....but he can't do it alone. We need another guy or two.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
Pang said it perfectly this morning on 1260.

If Tarasenko was pissed at his ice-time, not a chance in hell guys like Backes, Steen, and Jackman let him say a word to the media about it.

Not criticizing Ference....he's obviously a warrior on the ice and exactly the type of guy we need that embraces the community and stuff....but he can't do it alone. We need another guy or two.

this right here, Ference is a great guy for the team, but the core group of leaders (if we have any) don't take control of this team, and police the locker room.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 1m
Sam Gagner says he owes a lot to Horcoff. Helped him shape his career and become more of a leader. #Oilers

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 41s
"We've had a lot of ups and downs here, but no matter what the situation, Horc came in every morning, led this group and worked hard." - 89

THey should make Gagner captain. I am only half joking. He's been around longer than anyone and seems like a genuinely likeable kid. On dysfunctional teams like this, maybe it's not the worst idea to have someone like him in charge.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
THey should make Gagner captain. I am only half joking. He's been around longer than anyone and seems like a genuinely likeable kid. On dysfunctional teams like this, maybe it's not the worst idea to have someone like him in charge.

Gagner has been all kinds of terrible this season. If they're going to make Gagner anything, it should be an example. He shouldn't be playing, much less in a prominent role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad