Post-Game Talk: It wasnt a fight, just fuggit aboutit

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Stinkers happen but there’s a couple big concerns

- Matthews is a shell of himself and it’s incredibly concerning. His shot is nowhere near where it used to be and he never uses it. Crazy to think this is the same player who was MVP last year and best player in the world during that regular season
- The team defense has declined heavily. A lot more loose and giving up chances. Idk if it’s because Rielly is back or the team has lost some focus but we need to get back into our system

Reactions: HolyCrap and glue

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Stinkers happen but there’s a couple big concerns

- Matthews is a shell of himself and it’s incredibly concerning. His shot is nowhere near where it used to be and he never uses it. Crazy to think this is the same player who was MVP last year and best player in the world during that regular season
- The team defense has declined heavily. A lot more loose and giving up chances. Idk if it’s because Rielly is back or the team has lost some focus but we need to get back into our system
I think for the 2nd part it is due to Rielly returning but not necessarily his play. I think the team/forwards may be thinking subconsciously "oh we got all our top defenders back, now we don't have to cover for them like we did previously'

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yeah, I'm not sure how anybody could blame that goal on Rielly, when it wasn't Rielly that pinched, and it wasn't Rielly's man. And that was the only goal he was on the ice for, and he put up an 83% xGF% at 5v5. I guess Rielly's now the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong. At least Holl gets a break.
A regression stat like xGF% has no validity in a 1 game (~15 minute of 5 on 5) sample size though there are more traditional stats that still can prove your point.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I think for the 2nd part it is due to Rielly returning but not necessarily his play. I think the team/forwards may be thinking subconsciously "oh we got all our top defenders back, now we don't have to cover for them like we did previously'
That may very well play a big part, Keefe needs to get them back on the same page and play a full defensive game

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
A regression stat like xGF% has no validity in a 1 game (~15 minute of 5 on 5) sample size though there are more traditional stats that still can prove your point.
xGF% still has value, especially when it's so polar opposite of the claim that he was bad, and I also noted that he was only on for 1 actual goal, which wasn't even his fault.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
No, it actually shows that I understand what I'm watching quite well. Pretty much everything out there supports my perception.
Not sure how anybody could justify blaming that game on Rielly.
I don't think you can blame losing that game on Rielly. But fair criticism is justified in this case. He wasn't very good again, and his high risk/low reward play led to several breaks going the other way, one leading to a goal. I know he's still finding his legs and his stamina, but he needs to play a little safer until that happens. I find that others are following his lead and unwisely pinching too much. We saw very little of this when Rielly was hurt, so some are concluding that Rielly is to blame. Quite honestly, the goaltending has been horrendous the past 9 games with the lowest SV% in the league...that's not solely on Rielly, but he is a contibuting factor imo.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think you can blame losing that game on Rielly. But fair criticism is justified in this case. He wasn't very good again, and his high risk/low reward play led to several breaks going the other way, one leading to a goal. I know he's still finding his legs and his stamina, but he needs to play a little safer until that happens. I find that others are following his lead and unwisely pinching too much. We saw very little of this when Rielly was hurt, so some are concluding that Rielly is to blame. Quite honestly, the goaltending has been horrendous the past 9 games with the lowest SV% in the league...that's not solely on Rielly, but he is a contibuting factor imo.
No one has put the loss just on Rielly, that would be silly.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He's not really a significant factor to that. The SV%s were dropping before Rielly was even back, and while he's certainly more offensively-inclined, people are massively exaggerating his defensive weaknesses and the chances he gives up when he's out there. He's been out there for all of 2 goals against in the 4 games he's been back, and he played a pretty decent game in this one. The goal against in this one had absolutely nothing to do with Rielly making "high risk/low reward plays". Rielly didn't even pinch. He literally held back as Giordano pinched and the forward failed to cover. Just goes to show that people will automatically blame him, regardless of if it's his fault, or if he's even out there. Somehow anybody else making a mistake is Rielly's fault because they're "following his lead"? Come on. We were aggressive because we were down and our goalie was bleeding goals on every basic shot, and Rielly wasn't even one of the most aggressive ones.

Reactions: mclaren55

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
If Matthews is expecting a big raise and a long term contract, he'd better start picking things up a little. Or a lot. Right now he looks no better than at least 25 other top 6 players league wide. Not sure what's going on with him. He's losing the puck, fanning on shots, falling down, making bad passes.. And I can go on and on. His two way play has been exceptional, but you don't pay a guy 15 million just because he back checks.

Last edited:
Reactions: leafsfan5

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Can’t fake Chemistry… not with Women, not with team mates…

Reilly coming back and we have not been on the same gear.

Chemistry doesn’t show on stat sheets. But it’s real.
I really like the player, he seems like a really earnest and dedicated guy, honest hyper competitive. He has given the Leafs a lot of hard work and set a great example for his team mates. He takes responsibility for his play good or bad, but maybe............

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Sure glad I didn’t waste my time watching the,leafs train wreck unfold. I have missed more Leafs games this year then I can ever remember and I’m probably going to continue to miss more…….. I am so sick of the same crap,out of this core year after year
Nobody likes it, not us, not LeaFland, not the media nor the team itself, sometimes you just need a rest in the doldrums of the schedule. Trade deadline will get the adrenaline going and relight the flame.

Cheers bro.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
What a POS of a game. Can't remember a worse effort in a long time. And whoever started that "admit you were wrong about Leafs goaltending" thread on the main boards needs their account suspended indefinitely. We officially have very bad goaltending at this point. This why you don't make threads like that.
Why does this remind me of a car I once owned?

Reactions: Teeder Keon

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Why does this remind me of a car I once owned?

Because this is our goaltending now.

7G5y.gif

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I love digging up small sample size of stats tailored to support the narrative thry want to create. In a couple of days they can write a hit piece that will generate all kinds of hits and adds a goodly amount of loonies to their next paycheque!
These people are grifters. It is a long season, there are ebbs and flows. Every team hits a rough patch or two through the course of 82 games.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I love digging up small sample size of stats tailored to support the narrative thry want to create. In a couple of days they can write a hit piece that will generate all kinds of hits and adds a goodly amount of loonies to their next paycheque!

These people are grifters. It is a long season, there are ebbs and flows. Every team hits a rough patch or two through the course of 82 games.
Glad there are some folks here who see this for what it is.

Reactions: therealkoho

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Just facts

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

It would be nice to see Keefe do this more. The one time he rips into his team, he apologizes. Shitty efforts and repeated failures shouldn’t even be entertained, I guess that’s what makes TB perennial SC finalists

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
He's not really a significant factor to that. The SV%s were dropping before Rielly was even back, and while he's certainly more offensively-inclined, people are massively exaggerating his defensive weaknesses and the chances he gives up when he's out there. He's been out there for all of 2 goals against in the 4 games he's been back, and he played a pretty decent game in this one. The goal against in this one had absolutely nothing to do with Rielly making "high risk/low reward plays". Rielly didn't even pinch. He literally held back as Giordano pinched and the forward failed to cover. Just goes to show that people will automatically blame him, regardless of if it's his fault, or if he's even out there. Somehow anybody else making a mistake is Rielly's fault because they're "following his lead"? Come on. We were aggressive because we were down and our goalie was bleeding goals on every basic shot, and Rielly wasn't even one of the most aggressive ones.
I don’t want to belabour the point but you might want to watch the highlights again. You cannot absolve Rielly of blame on McCann’s goal. Even Simpson said on the telecast that Rielly was “looking to pinch” on that goal. If he saw that Giordano was already deep Rielly’s intentions should have been defence-first as a DEFENCEMAN. I get it, you like the guy, he’s a sweetheart, but the many questions about his play being asked of him by fans and media is justified.

Reactions: glue and ACC1224

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Was that the video they showed on the board of the kid opening the Christmas gift and then showed the father and son in the crowd?
We had a few kids in our area with their 1st game bags, felt sorry for them.

I can't remember attending a worse game since Matthews was drafted, there were lots before he and Marner came along.
Left when the Seattle player took the puck to the face with maybe 6 minutes left. Earliest we have ever left, was home in Burlington on the couch watching Canada by 10.
Amazingly enough, someone yelled 2-0 Canada at one point but other than that we made it through the night avoiding the game. SBA made no reference to the game at all.

That McCann is a good player, glad I got to see him live.
No, that wasn't us but that was a beautiful moment. Felt bad for that kid too.

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
These are the only 2 teams that have not won a playoff series in a Cap World since it was instituted in 2004.

How is it possible to have faith and trust that this is the Leafs year, when they're getting pounded 5-1 by a recent expansion team built on other teams castoffs?

This is a good example perhaps that the regular season has little value in setting playoff expectations, and its simply going to be a wait and see what happens when the playoff begin.

Seattle Kraken are even getting playoff buzz now by Leaf reporters for the way they're playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad