Line Combos: "It Sucks When We Get Split Up" Eberle to Ralph

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Definitely, it's like all the comments Horcoff has made and everyone gets excited saying he's slagging the kids or not including himself as part of the problem. If you are on the outs no matter what you say you cant win. We turn on everyone here eventually so with production down and no playoffs in sight no surprise Eberle is the latest target, despite very little change from how he played last year and only a marginal drop in production.

Honestly these guys should answer every question, no matter what it is, with a textbook cliche. "We've just got to give 110% every night and we're confident we'll make the playoffs"

If Horcoff or Hemsky had made a similar statement this would be on thread #2 at least by now.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
There are definately going to be some growing pains with these kids, but I like the look of that 1st line.

I think if we can get 2 scoring lines, and then 2 energy with secondary scoring lines, the Oilers might not be looking to bad going forward up front.

I like the fact that Hall got benched for a couple shifts in the 3rd tonight and owned it. The Oilers should live and die with the youth movement.

I'm thinking that it 's going to come down to choosing between Yak and Hemsky on the right side and I think we all know the obvious answer to that question.

Do we move Hemsky now? Or do we try to sign him at a reasonable price next year?

Jones had a better game tonight and PRV looks like he might be on the brink of turning that corner, love how he's starting to go to the net.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
PRV - Gagner - Hemsky
Jones - Horcoff - Yakupov
Petrell - Smyth - Brown

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I can not wait until he grows into his body and become a true power forward. Plus he is also a great leader which will be valuable after Horcoff has moved on.

The Perfect Human*

I can not wait until he grows into his body and become a true power forward. Plus he is also a great leader which will be valuable after Horcoff has moved on.

I can't wait till he learns to balance on his skates. Literally half of his miscues come off of him not being able to stay on his feet.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
When lines aren't producing or you have players that aren't putting in a full effort by the coaches eyes you have 2 usual moves. You bench players, or you split up lines. In general for the top 2 lines I prefer that they try splitting the lines first if they think it isn't working or to send a message to the players.

It is nice to try and keep the lines together if they are working. But if they aren't working at the time, split them up for a bit, and when they get back together players like eberle better work hard to show us why that line deserves to be together, or the coach has the right to split them back up again if he decides to

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I remember when Deadspin got NFL fans to critique their own teams, it was incredible, and most of the time the fans made fun of themselves.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
We've had one of the worst teams in recent NHL memory, chief. Still keep selling out games. That's an amazing fanbase.

Exactly.

There are a lot of people that over react to things on these boards but it's because they really care. And isn't it really just a certain type of demographic that even goes on these things to begin with, myself included obviously.

And I think it's another type of demographic that feels the need to say something on these boards (or call in shows) as well. I don't think they're a true reflection of the over all fan base, it's only a certain portion, that for the most part, fit into a particular category.

Here in Vancouver there is a general apathy about the Canucks if they're not winning or playing well or even if it's just not that exciting of a brand of hockey to watch.

Yes there is a very invested fan base here, but it's much smaller. The over all sentiment is if the team isn't winning, then they don't care and won't watch...generally speaking, Oilers fans seem to be much more emotionally invested into they're team IMHO.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Exactly.

There are a lot of people that over react to things on these boards but it's because they really care. And isn't it really just a certain type of demographic that even goes on these things to begin with, myself included obviously.

And I think it's another type of demographic that feels the need to say something on these boards (or call in shows) as well. I don't think they're a true reflection of the over all fan base, it's only a certain portion, that for the most part, fit into a particular category.

Here in Vancouver there is a general apathy about the Canucks if they're not winning or playing well or even if it's just not that exciting of a brand of hockey to watch.

Yes there is a very invested fan base here, but it's much smaller. The over all sentiment is if the team isn't winning, then they don't care and won't watch...generally speaking, Oilers fans seem to be much more emotionally invested into they're team IMHO.

Tend to disagree with this.

What you see always on this board is players that have been here for awhile being maligned, despised, mocked, and fantasy traded. With any new incoming player being touted as the best thing since sliced bread. Its sad, but this board would be busy throwing up over Weight, Cujo, Guerin, Smyth if they remained here...oh wait.

Theres no loyalty to player on this board. Its what have you done for me lately always.

Which culminates in repeated instances of booing a struggling young team on home ice because there is no positive connection, and right now, only frustration.

We can't even celebrate a Win in the PGT.

This is who we are as a fanbase:

Gretzky traded: "Phoney tears, phoney royal wedding, wasn't even invited, GTFO, Go to Janet traitor" Go suck in LA.

Pronger: "Glad we burned your furniture, GTFO, go with that loser Lauren ya turncoat traitor.

Roli: GTFO, you're weird anyway and your kids weren't picked on in school you made it all up..plus you look weird all leering and stuff at nightclubs. (things actually stated here)

Gilbert: GTFO Tammy, loser, lose so many games, loser, *****, don't let the door hit you, can I drive you to the airport.

Comrie: I won't even go there, don't even need to. From the top down from manager to fanbase what a festering mess of accusation, drama, finger pointing.

Souray: Ditto. One year he's the most popular player on the club and should be team captain. By the end of the year he's bubonic exploding cancer and should be set on fire 3 times and buried under 12 feet of concrete just in case he's infectious or radioactive or something..

Salo: Hooboy.

Smyth: Phoney tears! GTFO out loser. Two bit scab, what a ****ing loser, lets post up that picture for the next 20 years and endlessly mock a good human being just because.

Horcoff "Scorecoff, Whiffcoff" you get it.

Gagner: Snowpants, inconsistent, "doesn't fit here"

Hemsky: "Trade him, trade him now,(repeated 100's of times) for whatever we can get.

Taylor Fall: "This lovely moniker occurring at least a dozen times in recent GDT's. This just happening to be a player that has 33pts in 30games and is having the most successful season of any Oiler since Doug Weight.

Really this is a deplorable fanbase. Basically devoid of love for team or any players contained therein. Not excluding my part in that either except that I put some value in players that HAVE or ARE here and less value in the revolving door of player recruits.

Theres no loyalty to established Oiler players on this fanbase. Theres often a lot worse adjectives that could describe.

Conversely people in Vancouver actually manage to love the Sedins. In Calgary they actually managed to love Iggy. Who and what players have we continously loved over the last dozen years?

Last edited:

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Really this is a deplorable fanbase. Basically devoid of love for team or any players contained therein. Not excluding my part in that either except that I put some value in players that HAVE or ARE here and less value in the revolving door of player recruits.

Theres no loyalty to established Oiler players on this fanbase. Theres often a lot worse adjectives that could describe.

Conversely people in Vancouver actually manage to love the Sedins. In Calgary they actually managed to love Iggy. Who and what players have we continously loved over the last dozen years?

Although I agree with a lot of the examples you give, I totally disagree with you conclusions. Go to any message board on this site, listen any sports radio, and you will find the same bile typed and spoken.

It has nothing to do with cities, it has everything to do with the forum. The thing is there are so many places for discussion, that we ignore the bizarro world that is sports. It is not about intelligence, yet in message boards, call-in radio, blogs, and even fantasy sports people want to prove they are right.

My question, how much enjoyment do people get from being right that someone or their team sucks?

For me, like many here, the chances to make that judgement and be proven right have been unending in the last number of year. But the enjoyment I got from all of those opportunities do not match that from a single win.

As for Eberle's comment, not a big deal. I understand that it is fun to play with the best engine on the team. I also expect he understands why there was a time he was not doing so.

AssistantCaptain*

There are definately going to be some growing pains with I like the fact that Hall got benched for a couple shifts in the 3rd tonight and owned it. The

He didn't get benched he had issues with his skates.

I can't wait till he learns to balance on his skates. Literally half of his miscues come off of him not being able to stay on his feet.

That's not going to happen any time soon. He's had balance issues before his Spitfire days. I've been told by fans in Windsor that he would fall on his own with the closest player on the ice no less than 10 feet away.

Tend to disagree with this.

What you see always on this board is players that have been here for awhile being maligned, despised, mocked, and fantasy traded. With any new incoming player being touted as the best thing since sliced bread. Its sad, but this board would be busy throwing up over Weight, Cujo, Guerin, Smyth if they remained here...oh wait.

Theres no loyalty to player on this board. Its what have you done for me lately always.

Which culminates in repeated instances of booing a struggling young team on home ice because there is no positive connection, and right now, only frustration.

We can't even celebrate a Win in the PGT.

This is who we are as a fanbase:

Gretzky traded: "Phoney tears, phoney royal wedding, wasn't even invited, GTFO, Go to Janet traitor" Go suck in LA.

Pronger: "Glad we burned your furniture, GTFO, go with that loser Lauren ya turncoat traitor.

Roli: GTFO, you're weird anyway and your kids weren't picked on in school you made it all up..plus you look weird all leering and stuff at nightclubs. (things actually stated here)

Gilbert: GTFO Tammy, loser, lose so many games, loser, *****, don't let the door hit you, can I drive you to the airport.

Comrie: I won't even go there, don't even need to. From the top down from manager to fanbase what a festering mess of accusation, drama, finger pointing.

Souray: Ditto. One year he's the most popular player on the club and should be team captain. By the end of the year he's bubonic exploding cancer and should be set on fire 3 times and buried under 12 feet of concrete just in case he's infectious or radioactive or something..

Salo: Hooboy.

Smyth: Phoney tears! GTFO out loser. Two bit scab, what a ****ing loser, lets post up that picture for the next 20 years and endlessly mock a good human being just because.

Horcoff "Scorecoff, Whiffcoff" you get it.

Gagner: Snowpants, inconsistent, "doesn't fit here"

Hemsky: "Trade him, trade him now,(repeated 100's of times) for whatever we can get.

Taylor Fall: "This lovely moniker occurring at least a dozen times in recent GDT's. This just happening to be a player that has 33pts in 30games and is having the most successful season of any Oiler since Doug Weight.

Biggest issue I've had with fans is them writing off Paajarvi ever since he put on an Oilers jersey. They think rookies come off an assembly line and experience parallel growth. Poor guy had to measure up against a first overall pick and the best world junior player in Canadian history (TSN). I'm not surprised by his recent success but everyone else is...:help:

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
He didn't get benched he had issues with his skates.

That's not going to happen any time soon. He's had balance issues before his Spitfire days. I've been told by fans in Windsor that he would fall on his own with the closest player on the ice no less than 10 feet away.

Biggest issue I've had with fans is them writing off Paajarvi ever since he put on an Oilers jersey. They think rookies come off an assembly line and experience parallel growth. Poor guy had to measure up against a first overall pick and the best world junior player in Canadian history (TSN). I'm not surprised by his recent success but everyone else is...:help:

In the post game interview they talked about his benching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad