Kings Article: It Still Hurts…But Take A Step Back Before Looking at the Jonathan Quick Trade

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Almost everyone here says it’s stupid when teams seen as more legit contenders trade 1sts for rentals, why should we not hold the Kings to the same standards? Especially when the Kings probably aren’t legit contenders.

This franchise has a terrible history of trading 1st round picks for non-impact players. The Kings have traded 1st round picks that turned into Reggie Leach, Steve Shutt, Andre Savard, Mario Tremblay, Ron Duguay, Ray Bourque and more recently a 1st for another rental that if you believe the teams former AGM and director of scouting was going to be used to draft Mat Barzal.

The Quick thing is whatever, it’s easier to handle now, knowing that he is going to a playoff team close to where his family is. But it still was a dick move to treat a franchise legend like that, sending him 3 time zones away to Columbus Fn Ohio to play for the worst team in the league.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Almost everyone here says it’s stupid when teams seen as more legit contenders trade 1sts for rentals, why should we not hold the Kings to the same standards? Especially when the Kings probably aren’t legit contenders.

This franchise has a terrible history of trading 1st round picks for non-impact players. The Kings have traded 1st round picks that turned into Reggie Leach, Steve Shutt, Andre Savard, Mario Tremblay, Ron Duguay, Ray Bourque and more recently a 1st for another rental that if you believe the teams former AGM and director of scouting was going to be used to draft Mat Barzal.

The Quick thing is whatever, it’s easier to handle now, knowing that he is going to a playoff team close to where his family is. But it still was a dick move to treat a franchise legend like that, sending him 3 time zones away to Columbus Fn Ohio to play for the worst team in the league.

Gavrikov and Korpi are obviously not two guys past their prime, at least. I get the point you are making, but not only were those ages ago (most here probably didn't see most of them play), it was also in a different climate with no cap.

If both of them walk and the Kings flame out early, I'm right there with you. But if one signs, it's at least somewhat worth it. Gonna give this a chance before I jump on that.

Also, FWIW, the Kings don't have any worse of a history of trading first rounders for rentals than any other team, in fact they've probably done it a lot less. Look how far back you had to go for some of those guys, it's not like it's common practice.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Gotta see where it might go with extensions.

Blake did what he had to do but it sucks for Quickie. Communication should have been better.

Would have to think this is Quick’s last chance at staying in the league. I hate to talk negative about him and I don’t know where it went off the rails this year. Players just seem to see a lot of net on him currently.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
If the Kings don't end up using the cap space gained by trading in another trade it seems pretty dumb could have just kept him on as the third goalie rather than trade a franchise legend.

Reactions: Telos and LAKings88

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

prior to the last 9 months, when was the last time the Kings traded away a 1st rd pick? I'll tell you, 5 years of keeping/drafting in 1st round.

Everyone says the Kings have too many prospects, need to use them as trade assets, isn't that what this is?

The team is sitting on top of the western conf, now is not the time time to hoard picks/prospects...I mean why do you guys act like you are so confused when you would be bitching and moaning had Blake NOT done anything. It's the goddamn #twilightzone around here.

If the Kings don't end up using the cap space gained by trading in another trade it seems pretty dumb could have just kept him on as the third goalie rather than trade a franchise legend.
So he could sign with another team at the end of the year and all the binky babies could bitch that Blake didn't get something for him?

Reactions: AzKing

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

I think they might have needed a little space, I honestly can't remember what the number was. They certainly could have done something like a 1st, a 4th, and Phaneuf's buyout, but then do you carry 3 goalies? If he was sent down it would have been even worse because Vegas would have just grabbed him on waivers after their latest goalie injury.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Based on the return Columbus got they would have done the deal without Quick included
Obviously the Kings wanted/needed cap space for another move. Whether or not that move comes to fruition, we will see.

It’s funny to me…the Kings org just spent what feels like two weeks parading Dustin Brown around like the second coming of Christ — but now we have this and we want to paint the org out to be the evil empire who kills babies and worships the devil.

Is it possible Blake and Jarmo had a handshake agreement for Quick to be traded to a contender? I feel like half of the rage is people being attached to Quick while the other half is an excuse to hate Blake again.
Exactly, the Quick groupies should be ecstatic that he has an opportunity (and this might motivate him) to play in some meaningful games and possibly extend his career….obviously (and by his own doing) it wasn’t gonna happen here. For f***s sake, the guy could barely backup a career AHLer.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Is it possible Blake and Jarmo had a handshake agreement for Quick to be traded to a contender? I feel like half of the rage is people being attached to Quick while the other half is an excuse to hate Blake again.
I'm sure it's possible. Plenty of discussions happen among the GMs. Each of them know what other teams want.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

Herby you are going back 50 years ago. The kings owner and management were trying to get butts in the forum. .500 was a goal back then. As for Mat Barzel he is basically Ardvisson and not anything special. If the Kings were in the Bedard race then that 1st would not have been traded. Yes a 1st is steep if Korpi and Garvi don't resign. But I think at least one of the two does. Garvi reminds me of Mitchell and he was a unsung part of those Kings teams.

kenito7

May 27, 2014
California
Herby you are going back 50 years ago. The kings owner and management were trying to get butts in the forum. .500 was a goal back then. As for Mat Barzel he is basically Ardvisson and not anything special. If the Kings were in the Bedard race then that 1st would not have been traded. Yes a 1st is steep if Korpi and Garvi don't resign. But I think at least one of the two does. Garvi reminds me of Mitchell and he was a unsung part of those Kings teams.
I go back 49 years and I didn't like it back then. Jay Wells in 1979 was the first 1st round pick to actually play for the Kings. It seemed like the Montreal dynasty of the 1970's was built off the draft picks of the Kings and Seals.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
So he could sign with another team at the end of the year and all the binky babies could bitch that Blake didn't get something for him?
In reality, the Kings likely gave extra for Columbus to take on Quick. Maybe that 3rd was for them to take him and his salary. We did not "get" anything for trading Quick.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
this entire process is nothing more than blake frantically trying to clean up a mess of his own making.
Yes it is and it kinda sucks but at least he addressed it and made the team better. Teams like Philly and Vancouver keep doubling down and rolling with messes of management blunders. So if we look at the brightside here it could be much worse sitting outside the playoffs with zero assets and no competitive games to watch.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
blake made the team better for approx a 20 game period and some playoff games (as much as i would like to seeit, we are not going to seriously challenge colorado at this point) he better hope one of these guys signs with us...
as much as i dislike the present management, i live in abject fear that bergevin is thier in house replacement

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
I go back 49 years and I didn't like it back then. Jay Wells in 1979 was the first 1st round pick to actually play for the Kings. It seemed like the Montreal dynasty of the 1970's was built off the draft picks of the Kings and Seals.
Hey kenito7 I go back 52 years as a Kings fan. The owner JK Cooke was a Canadien and yes he seemed to give Montreal whatever they wanted to get some of the players to come to LA. By the way I have a Brother named Ken Ito. :)

Reactions: kenito7

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
McCrimmon in his presser pretty much said they did it as a depth move.
He indicated, subtly, that Quick is not going to start unless there is injury

What is going to be interesting, Logan Thompson is going to come back this year.

They will have some decisions to make later this month, it will be interesting. Maybe they carry 3.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
McCrimmon in his presser pretty much said they did it as a depth move.
He indicated, subtly, that Quick is not going to start unless there is injury

What is going to be interesting, Logan Thompson is going to come back this year.

They will have some decisions to make later this month, it will be interesting. Maybe they carry 3.

It's the worst kept secret in the league that VGK is going to have like a 120 million payroll in the playoffs, they're the NHL's pet-anti-Arizona.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Possible, or patently obvious it is what Jarmo should have done?

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Possible, or patently obvious it is what Jarmo should have done?
I’ve been critical of Blake the GM. I don’t think this team is a contender. But people are using this to pile on the “Blake is a heartless backstabber” wagon. In reality, I’m sure it was a difficult decision for him and he understood the magnitude which was confirmed by him calling Kopitar and Doughty after the fact. I’d say it’s likely he and Jarmo had that agreement to at least try to do right by him. I hate seeing Quick go as much as anyone but the reactions here for the most part have been a bit crazy. 10 years from now, we can all argue about it again with most of the Blake haters leaving out some important details like they always do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad