Post-Game Talk: It goes to a SO Jets lose 6-5

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
The advantage of having your farm team in the same city as the big club.

Axel bounces up and down between teams yet gets to sleep in the same bed every night.

Although, I'm assured by some of our more attractive posters, he probably has his choice of several beds that he could use.
Where would you get such a bizarre notion?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
You do realize that the season is not over, right? There are games still to be played? And the outcome of every one of those games will affect a team's chance of reaching the playoffs?
Yes…but doesn’t some kind of assumption have to be made on what results will be to land at odds/probability?

Like if it assumes all teams maintain current point pace Calgary’s probability for playoffs can’t be that high. So what is the assumption the number is based on? It makes no literal sense to me.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yes…but doesn’t some kind of assumption have to be made on what results will be to land at odds/probability?

Like if it assumes all teams maintain current point pace Calgary’s probability for playoffs can’t be that high. So what is the assumption the number is based on? It makes no literal sense to me.
could just be based on history. Historically, a team in a given position on a given date makes the playoffs a given percentage of the time.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
And Calgary is 63%. How can 9 teams have a better than coin flip chance at 8 playoffs spots?

Because each of the nine events are not independent. Obviously, exactly 8 teams will make the playoffs. A better way to think of it is not 9 separate events with 9 separate percentages, but more 9 different statements describing one single event, that being the "run out" of the remaining games.

So in 63% of the runouts, Calgary is one of the 8 teams; in 83.9% of them, Winnipeg is one of the 8 teams, etc. etc. Nine statements about one probabilistic event, not nine separate events.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad