Sportsnet: It’s all but assured Kovalchuk will be back in Montreal come 2020-21.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
great....keep signing the players that no other teams want, seems like a great strategy to me :rolleyes:

players who cant crack a contenders lineup are always welcome in montreal :rolleyes:
26 points in 46 games this year can crack any team

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Don't know about this.

We'll have to see the money or term.

I doubt it's more than 2 years.
Anything over 3 mill is overpayment.

I mean he was fun to watch for 15 games or so but slowed down the last 7 to 10 games.

Hopefully he gets a performance laden contract. The better he performs the more he makes.

He will definitely help on the PP and OT and shoot out, but still gotta be careful.

I think a year to year situation would be acceptable to both sides. It assures Montreal that they get as motivated a player as possible. It means that if Montreal falters in the next season, there's flexibility to move him before the deadline should he garner interest. That gives him his best shot playing time/success and a cup imo.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Don't know about this.

We'll have to see the money or term.

I doubt it's more than 2 years.
Anything over 3 mill is overpayment.

I mean he was fun to watch for 15 games or so but slowed down the last 7 to 10 games.

Hopefully he gets a performance laden contract. The better he performs the more he makes.

He will definitely help on the PP and OT and shoot out, but still gotta be careful.

Hes definitely only getting 1 year

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Kovy is a good dude and consummate professional. I liked him on the Kings, but it was just a bad fit because: (1) the Kings needed roster spots for young players; and (2) the Kings were focused on getting 100% buy-in to the new system, instead of simply getting points and results (since we don't have the talent yet).

Amazingly, despite being a veteran and deserving better treatment from the Kings, Kovy handled the situation with pure class, and never threw a hissyfit or acted out. I wish him success.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I hope he comes back to the Caps on a one year deal for the minimum. He was a great fit with Eller and Hagelin on the third line and his addition allowed Panik to bump down to the fourth line with Dowd and Hathaway and that line became terrific as well. The Caps don't really have anyone in Hershey that could step into the 3RW role and if Kovalchuk comes back, every single Caps forward in the starting lineup will return next season for another shot at another Cup. Hopefully he enjoyed himself enough in his short stint in Washington to want to give it another run next year.

Reactions: Ciao

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
if the Habs are out of contention at TDL next season, we will trade him to you for a 2nd. ;)
sad that Montreal fans have now accepted that they are a farm team to nhl contenders. every year, sell our vets we are getting more draft picks. drinking the Bargainbin koolaid aid.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
sad that Montreal fans have now accepted that they are a farm team to nhl contenders. every year, sell our vets we are getting more draft picks. drinking the Bargainbin koolaid aid.

Its not sad - its inevitable after years of prior contention. All teams go through this. Habs are in likely in retool mode with an eye on rebuild. Its that confusion that has delayed the Habs rebuild.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I love Kovy despite him walking away from the NHL in an .. odd way. Especially since he wasn't even 30 :(

He is 2 years older than his listed age so he's actually 39 at this point. It's a conspiracy/rumor for many many other Russian players but it is actually true in Kovalchuk's case.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
He is 2 years older than his listed age so he's actually 39 at this point. It's a conspiracy/rumor for many many other Russian players but it is actually true in Kovalchuk's case.

Says who? Provide a credible source before making such claims. That has just as much credibility as me saying Ovechkin is part Squirrel and the Russians have hidden it for decades!!

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lol....no "if" about that,

Habs will be out of contention when the puck drops to open the new season (whenever that might be)

well If that occurs we will happily take another pick from you for Kovalchuk’s carcass. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad