GDT: Isles Vs Pens 7pm - Last Must Win Game Of Season (Until Next Game)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Gives him 2 options, go to his backhand or move the goalie to the shooters right, pull it back and shoot against the grain.(Goalies right side as he moves left)

What I don’t get is why they go too wide when starting out. I seem to feel shooters who don’t go as wide seem to have more success
I wonder if it's because knowing most goalies in the game today don't stand up, and they cover the low ice really well, that it will open up the top part of the net?

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Any word/discussion/explanation of Malkins kicked in goal and why/how it was determined by someone that it was in fact not a kicking motion, despite clear video evidence it was a clear kicking motion?

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
No need for Pageau to return in a meaningless game.
I understand that it was basically an exhibition game but they were already down a forward. Hopefully you're right and it was just a minor bruise or whatever and they didn't want to risk him going back in.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
I understand that it was basically an exhibition game but they were already down a forward. Hopefully you're right and it was just a minor bruise or whatever and they didn't want to risk him going back in.
Yeah but if he returned you wouldn’t have seen Aho at wing.

Reactions: Nizami Ganjavi

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Any word/discussion/explanation of Malkins kicked in goal and why/how it was determined by someone that it was in fact not a kicking motion, despite clear video evidence it was a clear kicking motion?
The only thing I can think of was that the puck was in the air and they determined he was moving his skate in a position to deflect it. As opposed to actually kicking in a slow moving or stationary puck on the ice.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Maybe I missed it earlier here, but I find it hilarious that Holmstrom gets his first #1 star of the game and Brock takes the interview . . .

Reactions: Osakahaus

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Ishkatov might be the type of player who produces more in the NHL than AHL. Bridgeport is an awful AHL team devoid of much skill, even at the AHL level. Playing with actual good NHL players (which NYI's top 6 are) gives him a chance to set up plays and generate things for real players.

I wonder if we missed an opportunity with him this year. Fashing might be able to win some more board battles than Ish, but Ish might be able to save a similar amount of possession by making better passes and having the puck be a bit more "sticky" on him in transition. In addition, Ish could probably help on our powerplay which is a brutal weakness of the team. Seems like his skill set actually could help vs. the Canes but it's too late now given that he's had no time with the team and you'd be throwing him into the fire unprepared Griffin Reinart vs Washington style.

I'm not deluded into thinking he's more than a borderline prospect, but the Isles have some mostly dead weight replacement value type players among their bottom 6 forwards, and it seems like Ish offers a bit more than some of the guys in that mix.

Hopefully they can keep him in the organization at least one more year and let him work Roy and the NHL coaches for a full camp.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Ishkatov might be the type of player who produces more in the NHL than AHL. Bridgeport is an awful AHL team devoid of much skill, even at the AHL level. Playing with actual good NHL players (which NYI's top 6 are) gives him a chance to set up plays and generate things for real players.

I wonder if we missed an opportunity with him this year. Fashing might be able to win some more board battles than Ish, but Ish might be able to save a similar amount of possession by making better passes and having the puck be a bit more "sticky" on him in transition. In addition, Ish could probably help on our powerplay which is a brutal weakness of the team. Seems like his skill set actually could help vs. the Canes but it's too late now given that he's had no time with the team and you'd be throwing him into the fire unprepared Griffin Reinart vs Washington style.

I'm not deluded into thinking he's more than a borderline prospect, but the Isles have some mostly dead weight replacement value type players among their bottom 6 forwards, and it seems like Ish offers a bit more than some of the guys in that mix.

Hopefully they can keep him in the organization at least one more year and let him work Roy and the NHL coaches for a full camp.
I think he needs to spend about 4 hours a day in the weight room and the rest practicing with Clutter to learn how to take hits . . .

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Gives him 2 options, go to his backhand or move the goalie to the shooters right, pull it back and shoot against the grain.(Goalies right side as he moves left)

What I don’t get is why they go too wide when starting out. I seem to feel shooters who don’t go as wide seem to have more success
No, that's exactly what I was talking about and what I didn't understand.

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)
Malkin’s leg didn't look like it was moving forward by the time the puck hit his skate.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

If he puts on more weight then he makes opening night next season TBH

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh

I liked what I saw from him.

He might very well be missing NHL caliber players in proper positions in the AHL.

I would definitively give him a good spin come ext year.

Reactions: mm11

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I saw most of the third period and some of the second last night so I’ll base my comments on that.

It was good to see a few of the young kids in the lineup last night, but honestly it looked more like an exhibition game with regards to the intensity and physicality.

As far as the younger players go, most of them looked pretty good last night. Even though there were first and second round picks amongst those players, the best young player continues to be Kyle MacLean. Ishakov looked better than I expected but I still have major reservations that a kid his size can make it as an NHL regular. Bolduc, Holmstrom and Aho were also decent.

Sad to say but Wally looked like crap as usual. We won’t be seeing him again. I wish him well, but the isles need to be rid of him.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Maclean will be 25 end of month. So, young in nhl games, but not really ‘young’ as in he’s 19/20/21.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Maybe I missed it earlier here, but I find it hilarious that Holmstrom gets his first #1 star of the game and Brock takes the interview . . .
A similar thing happened with Sorokin in the past.

But it was kind of weird with Holmstrom. Sorokin is ESL with a native tongue that's really different. Simon is fluent in English from what I see in interviews.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
A similar thing happened with Sorokin in the past.

But it was kind of weird with Holmstrom. Sorokin is ESL with a native tongue that's really different. Simon is fluent in English from what I see in interviews.
It's hard to find a Swede who isn't fluent in English, they all learn it in school

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017

Well I only saw two periods, but in a game that didn’t mean anything to either team Ish spent a lot of time on his butt , did he show skills yes. However he seems to be way too small for my liking but we may see a bit more of him if Pague is injured, maybe.

Reactions: Glory Days

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
I love the guy, but hopefully this was Matt ‘I’m a Tree’ Martin’s last regular season game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad