Islanders Point Blank: Isles Sign 3 to PTC's

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Tyler Barnes could be of use for Bridgeport, but I'm thinking he's in Europe within two seasons.

Know that teams in GER and AUT were looking to get him over already this summer.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Exactly why would they have to sign when they're already on AHL deals or familiar to the team?

I don't think you are allowed to attend camp unless you are either under contract with the team or have signed an official tryout contract with the team.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Boulton and Carkner want to take on leadership roles in Bridgeport, I'm all for it.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Carkner will attempt to play, but you have to think he's gonna be part of the organization when he's officially done.

Why? Because ( no disrespect to your post)
What can he bring to the table?
We have Cairns . Same type as a player.
Same nice guy off the ice.
Fighting or defending ourselves is not high on the isles to do list.

Maybe he stays around , makes islanders sense. We did keep dead weight.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Why? Because ( no disrespect to your post)
What can he bring to the table?
We have Cairns . Same type as a player.
Same nice guy off the ice.
Fighting or defending ourselves is not high on the isles to do list.

Maybe he stays around , makes islanders sense. We did keep dead weight.

I don't see what the fact that the two played similar roles as players has to do with the skillsets they would bring as organizational instructors/coaches. Oh no, we can't have two former enforcer defensemen as coaches who are "nice" off the ice!

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I don't see what the fact that the two played similar roles as players has to do with the skillsets they would bring as organizational instructors/coaches. Oh no, we can't have two former enforcer defensemen as coaches who are "nice" off the ice!

Ok. What skillset can he bring as a coach?
I would rather have a real defenseman( retired) as a coach teaching my guys to play defense.
Wasn't doug dead weight enough? The powers play master. Lol. Joke.

Bring in Chelios to be a coach? Larry Robinson, Denis Potvin, schoenfeld, Samuelson .etc
That's who I want teaching my guys. Not an AHL tough guy.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I would rather have a real defenseman( retired) as a coach teaching my guys to play defense.

Bring in Chelios to be a coach? Larry Robinson, Denis Potvin, schoenfeld, Samuelson .etc

Accomplishments as a player does not always translate to being a successful coach. There have been plenty of players who had modest careers in sports but went on to become excellent coaches. Just because a guy is limited in talent doesn't mean he can't teach or understand the game. You, nor I, have any idea what knowledge he possesses and I'd say that grinders often have a better understanding of the game as a whole (personal opinion). They need to be smart enough to understand team concepts and how to play within a system, because talent isn't going to keep them in the NHL.

Someone like Gretzky can't relate to guys like a Nielsen, Kulemin, Clutterbuck, or Martin, because so much of what Gretzky did was instinctual for him. You cannot use a players accomplishments alone to determine if they'd make a good coach.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I don't think you are allowed to attend camp unless you are either under contract with the team or have signed an official tryout contract with the team.

That is correct. Carkner is on an AHL contract, which would exclude him from Islanders camp.

As for Carkner being crappy coaching material. I think the only time I saw Laviolette play was when I was 11 years and saw an exhibition game with Team USA vs. Canada/Russia? at the Coliseum in preparation for the 1994 Olympics.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

How...how on earth would I know what skill set he brings as a coach? This is silly. Coaching is an entirely different thing, it's not like any of us can just scout it during his playing career. Maybe he's been a really good teacher of young players in Bridgeport? I don't know, but I'll defer to the guys in the organization who make that call rather than **** on him because he had the same skill set as a player as Eric Cairns.

Besides, if the Isles hired him and he's not a U Maine alum he has to be amazing.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011

So you wouldn't hire someone like Bob Hartley since he never played? Just trying to understand your rationale.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Carkner will attempt to play, but you have to think he's gonna be part of the organization when he's officially done.

Let's go back a bit.
Why do you have to think he is going to be part of the organization if he is done playing?

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Also isn't Carkner deemed a veteran and you to dress a minimum amount of vets in pre season game?

Carkner is in a player/coach role in Bridgeport. It would be a bit strange for him not to be at training camp in Brooklyn with the guys he is going to be playing with/coaching. The minimum amount of veteran players issue isn't a challenge.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Thought I wrote it but please... Carkner or Boulton, crush Wilson. Destroy one of their Dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad