Assuming Barzal starts in the AHL

Unit 1:
(LHW)Eberle-(NET)Lee-(RHW)Tavares
(LP)Pulock-(RP)Leddy

Unit 2:
Ho-Sang-Ladd-Nelson
Boychuk- Bailey

Biggest omission: de Haan

I'd replace Leddy with Ho-Sang on the top unit. Other than his zone entries, Leddy doesn't do much for the PP. Ho-Sang is also good at entries and is more valuable once in the zone.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I'd replace Leddy with Ho-Sang on the top unit. Other than his zone entries, Leddy doesn't do much for the PP. Ho-Sang is also good at entries and is more valuable once in the zone.

One of the Isles biggest PP struggles has been zone entires but it's not really the players that seemed to be the problem last year, but rather the system. leddy can be a huge PP factor with a good PP coach. We'll see if that happens. Think you need his zone entry and distribution abilities on the PP1. Nothing wrong with 2 DMen on the PP. Most teams do it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
One of the Isles biggest PP struggles has been zone entires but it's not really the players that seemed to be the problem last year, but rather the system. leddy can be a huge PP factor with a good PP coach. We'll see if that happens. Think you need his zone entry and distribution abilities on the PP1. Nothing wrong with 2 DMen on the PP. Most teams do it.

Ho-Sang is better at both things though. So why do we need Leddy there? Does anyone know how good Eberle is at zone entries? Seems like that might be a skill he has.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Having two righties as your point men doesn't seem conducive to being able to move it around to set up the one-timer.

Only way it makes sense to have Ho-Sang on the top unit is if he replaces Eberle on the left half wall.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Having two righties as your point men doesn't seem conducive to being able to move it around to set up the one-timer.

Only way it makes sense to have Ho-Sang on the top unit is if he replaces Eberle on the left half wall.

I haven't considered positions yet, but I don't see why it'd be a problem if they changed the system. I'd just run a 1-3-1 system and it should work fine. Tavares goes on the right wall, Ho-Sang and Eberle on the left wall/middle position, Pulock at the point, Lee in front of the net. Pretty sure the Capitals run or have run it using 3 right handed shooters for the left, middle, and point position.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

I like having two righties actually. Tavares back up to Josh, quick slide to Pulock to rip it. A lefty has to carral it and face the right handed shot.

Isles do it when up a two men all the time past few years with either Okposo or Strome feeding Boychuk.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
My choice would be :

1st unit:
---------Net----------
-----Lee ---- Ladd----
Eberle------------Tavares
---------Leddy-----------

2nd unit:
----------Net-------------
----Nelson---Beauvillier
Ho-Sang----------Bailey
---------Pulock-----------

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I haven't considered positions yet, but I don't see why it'd be a problem if they changed the system. I'd just run a 1-3-1 system and it should work fine. Tavares goes on the right wall, Ho-Sang and Eberle on the left wall/middle position, Pulock at the point, Lee in front of the net. Pretty sure the Capitals run or have run it using 3 right handed shooters for the left, middle, and point position.

Keep in mind the Caps' system works because one of those righties (Oshie now, Brouwer in the past) was the net front presence, and all three of them were "shooters", while the two lefties were the "passers".

Their setup was something like:

---------------------Johansen (lefty)----
-------Oshie (righty)----Backstrom (lefty)
--Ovechkin (right) ----------------------
--------------Carlson (right)-------------

-Ovechkin was positioned for a one-timer from all 4 of the other guys
-Carlson could receive a one-timer pass from Johansen and Backstrom
-Oshie could receive a one-timer pass from Backstrom and Johansen

In the Isles' setup with both Eberle and Ho-Sang on the top unit and no Leddy, you'd have Pulock playing Carlson's spot above, Ho-Sang playing Ovechkin's shooter spot, and Tavares playing Backstrom's playmaker spot. You'd then have Lee (lefty) taking Oshie (righty) spot in front, and Eberle playing on the opposite goal line to Johansen.

It would look sort of like:

--Eberle-----------------------------------
------------Lee (lefty)---Tavares (lefty)--
--Ho-Sang (righty)------------------------
-----------Pulock (righty)-----------------

-Your top shooter (Pulock) can only take a one-timer on a pass from Tavares
-Your "passer" in Ho-Sang is set up best to take more one-timers than Pulock, which doesn't make as much sense.
-Tavares is setup to take the most one-timers, but that's a weakness in his game.

In other words, the Caps' system works with three righties because each plays a spot on the ice that is conducive to what their role is. The Isles guys would be put in positions that don't really play to their strengths.

If Leddy were on the point with Pulock, Pulock could play the Ovechkin role and fire one-timers from both Leddy and Tavares.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Keep in mind the Caps' system works because one of those righties (Oshie now, Brouwer in the past) was the net front presence, and all three of them were "shooters", while the two lefties were the "passers".

Their setup was something like:

---------------------Johansen (lefty)----
-------Oshie (righty)----Backstrom (lefty)
--Ovechkin (right) ----------------------
--------------Carlson (right)-------------

-Ovechkin was positioned for a one-timer from all 4 of the other guys
-Carlson could receive a one-timer pass from Johansen and Backstrom
-Oshie could receive a one-timer pass from Backstrom and Johansen

In the Isles' setup with both Eberle and Ho-Sang on the top unit and no Leddy, you'd have Pulock playing Carlson's spot above, Ho-Sang playing Ovechkin's shooter spot, and Tavares playing Backstrom's playmaker spot. You'd then have Lee (lefty) taking Oshie (righty) spot in front, and Eberle playing on the opposite goal line to Johansen.

It would look sort of like:

--Eberle-----------------------------------
------------Lee (lefty)---Tavares (lefty)--
--Ho-Sang (righty)------------------------
-----------Pulock (righty)-----------------

-Your top shooter (Pulock) can only take a one-timer on a pass from Tavares
-Your "passer" in Ho-Sang is set up best to take more one-timers than Pulock, which doesn't make as much sense.
-Tavares is setup to take the most one-timers, but that's a weakness in his game.

In other words, the Caps' system works with three righties because each plays a spot on the ice that is conducive to what their role is. The Isles guys would be put in positions that don't really play to their strengths.

If Leddy were on the point with Pulock, Pulock could play the Ovechkin role and fire one-timers from both Leddy and Tavares.

I'll give it more thought after I'm home from work, but at this moment I'm not opposed to just swapping Ho-Sang and Pulock's position. Even though that is unconventional.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I like having two righties actually. Tavares back up to Josh, quick slide to Pulock to rip it. A lefty has to carral it and face the right handed shot.

Isles do it when up a two men all the time past few years with either Okposo or Strome feeding Boychuk.

The Islanders powerplay has been below average the past few years.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Eberle-Lee-Tavares
Pulock-Leddy

Barzal-Ladd-Nelson
Boychuk-JHS (don't love that he'd be a righty on the right side, but he'd be doing more dishing anyways)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad