New York Islanders: Isles officially hire Benoit Desrosiers as assist coach.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Rather have him work on shooting between those red bars the goalie is standing between
Or make him spend some time with McKinnon on how he changed the way he played the game - more of a go to the net strategy vs. a passive one with fancy passes…

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Or make him spend some time with McKinnon on how he changed the way he played the game - more of a go to the net strategy vs. a passive one with fancy passes…
As long as he doesn’t get MacKinnon’s interview skills, im all for it. When Barzal is on his game, he actually does try to get to the net. When he’s not playing with Horvat (and Lee to an extent) and doesn’t have someone to pass to, that’s when we see the circle the zone until there’s no options type of Barzal. Just

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
As long as he doesn’t get MacKinnon’s interview skills, im all for it. When Barzal is on his game, he actually does try to get to the net. When he’s not playing with Horvat (and Lee to an extent) and doesn’t have someone to pass to, that’s when we see the circle the zone until there’s no options type of Barzal. Just
Horvat has gotten Barzal to play more of a straight ahead game.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Horvat has gotten Barzal to play more of a straight ahead game.
While giving him the confidence to actually attack the net. He doesn’t have to rely on circling the zone until someone winds up open/fumbling the puck. I’m just happy he’s not forcing Wally on his line anymore,

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
While giving him the confidence to actually attack the net. He doesn’t have to rely on circling the zone until someone winds up open/fumbling the puck. I’m just happy he’s not forcing Wally on his line anymore,
The total number of players in the league that do that move as part of their game is probably less than 3, if not it’s one.

Let’s not act like that style of play is normal or forced upon him, he’s 100% unilaterally decided to do that.

To MJFs point, Horvat plays a N/S game that forces Barzal to play that way if he wants to.

I’m more than happy with a boring interview for a player that consistently leads his team on the ice.

Reactions: Potvottier

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The total number of players in the league that do that move as part of their game is probably less than 3, if not it’s one.

Let’s not act like that style of play is normal or forced upon him, he’s 100% unilaterally decided to do that.

To MJFs point, Horvat plays a N/S game that forces Barzal to play that way if he wants to.

I’m more than happy with a boring interview for a player that consistently leads his team on the ice.
Barzal playing more of a N/S game has actually helped him immensely this year. Both in production as well as confidence. He’s also finally playing with a linemate who can keep up with his style of play. His worst games of the season were the ones he was 3rd line center and even in those Horvat looked invisible while playing alongside Wahlstrom and Lee.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Interesting how a fairly talented NHL scorer has helped Barzal. Guess that theory about better talent around him might hold some water .. hope the isles go on a run fast as I do feel they will be a tough team to beat if we make the post season.

Reactions: SI90

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’ve been generally satisfied with Barzal this year. What has struck me is that he looks less like a passenger; as if he’s taking the team on his back.

Hoping for a post-AS bump from him.

Reactions: mm11

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
Let's hope this guy turns out to be quality. And I certainly can see Roy getting into the GM aspect of the game, allowing Desrosiers to take the reins.

I'm happy that we have a fresh face behind the bench. He will probably bring a higher tech, motivated aura to the room. I think it could be very helpful for a team of vets.

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
Interesting how a fairly talented NHL scorer has helped Barzal. Guess that theory about better talent around him might hold some water .. hope the isles go on a run fast as I do feel they will be a tough team to beat if we make the post season.
Just a guess but couldn’t you say that about every player in league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad