Islanders Point Blank: Isles name Practice Rink after Al Arbour

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
so what is the actual name gonna be? Al Arbour Northwell Ice Center, Al Arbour Rink at Northwell Ice Center, Northwell Ice Center Featuring Al Arbour Memorial Rink?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Clearly he deserves the respect. But frankly, it would be foolish to skip out on all that potential revenue that naming rights can bring.

Try to get the street they'll play on named after him. That would be better.

Al Arbour way. Do things the "way" he would have

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Slightly off topic, but I'm impressed that Chimera was there. New guy who hasn't even played a game yet and he's there with JT and Boychuk. That kind of makes me think he's going to embrace a veteran/leadership role.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Slightly off topic, but I'm impressed that Chimera was there. New guy who hasn't even played a game yet and he's there with JT and Boychuk. That kind of makes me think he's going to embrace a veteran/leadership role.

Agreed. It's interesting, there's something about Chimera that makes me think he's always appreciated the Islanders. I remember seeing him walk from the Marriott to the Coliseum in the 2015 playoffs and (if I'm remembering correctly) he talked to some nice fans and took the jerk fans in stride (you know, the fans that were taunting Washington fans).

I'm really happy he's here. We needed guys like him. Not just veterans, but quality veterans like him. Not Doug Weight way after his prime.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Agreed. It's interesting, there's something about Chimera that makes me think he's always appreciated the Islanders. I remember seeing him walk from the Marriott to the Coliseum in the 2015 playoffs and (if I'm remembering correctly) he talked to some nice fans and took the jerk fans in stride (you know, the fans that were taunting Washington fans).

I'm really happy he's here. We needed guys like him. Not just veterans, but quality veterans like him. Not Doug Weight way after his prime.

Love Matty Martin but there's no question that Chimera is an upgrade over him.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC

He has school age kids. Have to get them settled before they begin school after Labor Day.

That said, I think the additions of Ladd and Chimera will add a different, better flavor of leadership over Okposo and Nielsen. Both have been in winning organizations and are consistent producers. Nielsen was consistent, Okposo not so much. Add Barzal into the mix on the third line, I think we're looking at a better Islanders team and much improved leadership.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Very nice move by the organisation.

In the past,I'd read the franchise under Wang's ownership had tried to distance itself from the alumni, the championship seasons.

All the team has done over the past 20 years is celebrate the dynasty (mainly because there hasn't been anything else to celebrate). It became stale and old and watered down. I'm all for honoring Al now that he's gone, but other than that we need to look into the future and not the past...It's been 33 years, it's time to let it go.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
All the team has done over the past 20 years is celebrate the dynasty (mainly because there hasn't been anything else to celebrate). It became stale and old and watered down. I'm all for honoring Al now that he's gone, but other than that we need to look into the future and not the past...It's been 33 years, it's time to let it go.

Isles events to honor the alumni were more about trying to fill seats then celebrating the 4 cups or alumni accomplishments.

This, naming the rink after Arbour, does not strike me as being anything other then a sign of respect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad