Islanders Point Blank: Isles Future Taking Shape?

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanderspointblank.com/prospects/isles-future-taking-shape-now/

UNIONDALE, N.Y. — If anyone looks at the Islanders roster as it currently is, one could say it may be a glimpse into the future of sorts.
The Islanders have 10 rookies in their lineup, and that includes highly touted prospects Ryan Strome, Anders Lee and Brock Nelson. The final eight games will be an opportunity for them to make an impact and impress the team’s brass in hopes of starting in the NHL next season.

“I think it shows that there’s great opportunity in this organization,†Strome said on Saturday. “Obviously injuries are tough to come by, but guys are getting an opportunity. I mean those guys played a full year in Bridgeport last year, so obviously very exciting for them and for me it’s just trying to show them I’m here to stay.â

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Where you a fan in the mid 90's? If so, you should know we now have actual prospects that are finally giving us a ray of sunshine. Dueling and Holland will not be our "marquee" prospects coming up.

Geez...I never thought I'd hear those names again.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Where you a fan in the mid 90's? If so, you should know we now have actual prospects that are finally giving us a ray of sunshine. Dueling and Holland will not be our "marquee" prospects coming up.

Yes. And **** rays of sunshine. Every year for the past seven years our season has hinged on hoping players fulfill their potential. Excuse me if I'm skeptical that these prospects are different.

Our future will take shape when we import, at a bare minimum, a legitimate starting goalie and multiple top-4 caliber D-Men. Until then, spare me the optimism. I'm with you in hoping for the best but I've been punched in the mouth by this team too many times.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Yes. And **** rays of sunshine. Every year for the past seven years our season has hinged on hoping players fulfill their potential. Excuse me if I'm skeptical that these prospects are different.

Our future will take shape when we import, at a bare minimum, a legitimate starting goalie and multiple top-4 caliber D-Men. Until then, spare me the optimism. I'm with you in hoping for the best but I've been punched in the mouth by this team too many times.
This ^^^^ I think many of us are not hopeful about anything with this team... Hopefully we are proved wrong next year ....

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

I agree that the "wait and see approach" is no longer desirable around these parts (and rightfully so). I will also say this group of prospects is the best we have had in a long long time. Strome GR, Pulock, Nelson, and Lee (just to name a few) are leaps and bounds ahead of Comeau, Mapletoft, Campoli, and Gervais. Will they pan out? who knows, but, I like our chances much better with these kids and some REAL veterans. The years of Hough, Sacco, Guerin, Sillinger, and Weight as our key veterans are hopefully soon too be long gone. I want Veterans in their high 20's or early 30's, not guys literally on their last legs.

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I agree that the "wait and see approach" is no longer desirable around these parts (and rightfully so). I will also say this group of prospects is the best we have had in a long long time. Strome GR, Pulock, Nelson, and Lee (just to name a few) are leaps and bounds ahead of Comeau, Mapletoft, Campoli, and Gervais. Will they pan out? who knows, but, I like our chances much better with these kids and some REAL veterans. The years of Hough, Sacco, Guerin, Sillinger, and Weight as our key veterans are hopefully soon too be long gone. I want Veterans in their high 20's or early 30's, not guys literally on their last legs.

Another difference is that most of these young guys are already showing what they can do. There is a lot to be encouraged about. Up front, we are about as deep and talented as we have been in quite some time. With Tavares, KO, Frans, Strome, Nelson, Lee, Grabner and Bailey, we shouldn't have much trouble finding secondary scoring next year.

On defense, we have the makings of a real top-pairing with CdH and Hamonic. We also still have Vis for another year, and Big Griff who should be a regular. I know some people always expect the worst with rookies, but the way similar caliber prospects in Murray, Lindholm, Trouba and Maatta played this year as rookies, it should at least keep people open minded about Reinhart potentially being an asset. Although he doesn't get much praise, Hickey has solidified himself as part of our 3rd pairing going forward.

The two biggest needs in order are goaltending and a 2nd pairing veteran RHD. I'm pretty confident that goaltending will be addressed, if for no other reason than we need to reach the cap floor, and it's clearly our biggest weakness. If we can somehow add the defenseman as well, I'll feel pretty good about our playoff chances(assuming we bring in a new HC, of course).

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

I'd take a Mike Sillinger player on this current team in a heartbeat.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Oh god, the other names that those two conjured up...

Kaminsky
Fichaud
Luhning
Chebaturkin
Berenzweig
Zehr

This is a bit disingenuous — we also had, at various points during that run, JP Dumont, Mathieu Schneider, Kenny Jonsson, Wade Redden, Zdeno Chara, Todd Bertuzzi, Roberto Luongo come up through the system. The fact that only one of those guys fully flourished with the Isles wasn't for lack of drafting or being able to identify young talent — it was because Milbury got sick of guys at a rapid, insane pace.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
ahh.. spring.. snow melting, sun getting higher and stronger, Isles displaced from the playoff race for months now.. so nice....

and yes.. the thoughts turn to "well.. we have some young prospects to really look forward to watching next year"

<inserts gun into mouth>

JUST WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

blevine77

Sep 6, 2007
This is a bit disingenuous — we also had, at various points during that run, JP Dumont, Mathieu Schneider, Kenny Jonsson, Wade Redden, Zdeno Chara, Todd Bertuzzi, Roberto Luongo come up through the system. The fact that only one of those guys fully flourished with the Isles wasn't for lack of drafting or being able to identify young talent — it was because Milbury got sick of guys at a rapid, insane pace.

Oh, I agree completely. I was just posting the names that popped into my head of random prospects we had at the time that I'd hear about repeatedly, but went nowhere. I think every team in every time period has a list of those.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Mark Lawrence. Late bloomer, big kid , what a pick up, 60 games 30 points, more to come ,
Can't wait, here he comes, this is great , then,-------- poop--------.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

The one common in that group is MMM. At least we are seeing Strome, Nelson, CDH, and Lee and mostly signing their praises. I remember we had no idea what Chara was at the time. Dumont and Redden never played a game with the Islanders. Luongo was the head scratcher. Bertuzzi just wasn't cutting it here. Schneider reminds me of Streit because he was brought in on the cheap and was another PPQB who got a big deal going elsewhere. KJ was the best MMM move. I still think we are much better off with Hamonic, JT, Okposo, Nielsen (just too name a few) then we ever were at that time, + add in the kids we haven't seen yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad