Rumor: Isles close on Lehner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Annoying thing about tanking a season is the odds are still very against getting the top pick.

Reactions: ndgolden

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Annoying thing about tanking a season is the odds are still very against getting the top pick.

I don't think Lou is tanking. If he wanted to he could have went with Greiss. We will have to see what else is in store this summer. Safe to say after Judas went home. Lou went into plan B mode, not expecting there was going to be a plan B.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't think Lou is tanking. If he wanted to he could have went with Greiss. We will have to see what else is in store this summer. Safe to say after Judas went home. Lou went into plan B mode, not expecting there was going to be a plan B.

The Plan B was to tank. The team is going to play hard, play the right way, but will be lacking in talent. It'll be a tough season, but a ton of character is going to help us get through that.

Hughes would be a boon, Newhook and the other centers would be great to pair with Barzal.

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
He's overrated and a head case. He's supposedly the worst SO goalie in the league too. He's good as a stop gap.

He's a year removed from a .920 save percentage over 60 games. Better than both Jaro and Greiss.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
The Plan B was to tank. The team is going to play hard, play the right way, but will be lacking in talent. It'll be a tough season, but a ton of character is going to help us get through that.

Hughes would be a boon, Newhook and the other centers would be great to pair with Barzal.

This team is not lacking in talent. Totally disagree. We need a 2c and top 4d.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m higher on him than most. Had a down year last year. Hopefully Mitch Korn is hired and can work with him.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

We’re not tanking. If we intend to tank, then all of our UFAs and anyone over 27 should be traded. Now.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This team is not lacking in talent. Totally disagree. We need a 2c and top 4d.

A #2C and a top-4D are not easy to acquire. We are definitely lacking in talent in those hard to find positions. Dobson is the great hope for the future, but he needs development time.

We can get our #2C next draft. If we're lucky, Barzal-Hughes would be a dynamic combo for the next decade.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I actually always liked Lehner. f*** it. Looks like Judas is convincing dehaan to go to Toronto with him

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I feel like Lehmer had a good save percentage last season, in front of a bad buffalo team.

Or was that the season before last? Kid is mental

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
We’re not tanking. If we intend to tank, then all of our UFAs and anyone over 27 should be traded. Now.

Pending UFA's Lee and Eberle are very likely on the chopping block at some point. We may not like that, but it's probably going to happen and definitely by the trade deadline. Bellows is Lee's heir apparent and Wahlstrom is Eberle's.

Lou armed with a high lottery pick and additional picks (maybe 2 extra 1st's) and a ton of cap space, he could dominate the draft next year and then we're entering 2019-2020 poised to kick some ass.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I feel like Lehmer had a good save percentage last season, in front of a bad buffalo team.

Or was that the season before last? Kid is mental

Both years. 908 and 920. 908 on a team that bad is very good. I mean he's not Luongo who posted 925-930 on bad teams for years but its still pretty good

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I am not a fan of Lehner, but at least he's better than Greiss (which isn't saying much).

HOWEVER, I'm interested in seeing how Greiss performs with an actual defensive system in front of him. He was absolutely atrocious last season, but he out-performed Halak in 2015-16 (yes, in a contract season) and was lights-out against the Panthers. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a bounce-back season working in a tandem, whether that's with the Islanders or on another team.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
I'm just throwing this out there... Would anyone really be THAT upset if we signed him to a 3/4.5 deal? Guy has a ton of talent... He's just been inconsistent. Is he the savior? No. Is he a gap-filler until we find a real, top-flight goalie? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad