Post-Game Talk: Isles/Caps preseason 10/9/16 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Proud of the boys tonight, good game specially considering it was nearly full lineup vs full lineup.

I feel like Sanford solidified his start on the third line to begin the year.

Eller looks great and very comfortable on this team.

Ovi already clicking on all cylinders. No slow start this year would be awesome for him.

Orlov keeps looking good, man if he can keep it up what a pleasant surprise that'll be.

Go Caps!

Sep 19, 2008
Proud of the boys tonight, good game specially considering it was nearly full lineup vs full lineup.

I feel like Sanford solidified his start on the third line to begin the year.

Eller looks great and very comfortable on this team.

Ovi already clicking on all cylinders. No slow start this year would be awesome for him.

Orlov keeps looking good, man if he can keep it up what a pleasant surprise that'll be.

Go Caps!

Yeah place was pretty packed for a preseason game. Good game and ready for season to start Thurs

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

This confuses me. Are they bragging about having draft picks outside of the first round? None of them are NHL regulars yet, so they can't be claiming success on them already, can they? I mean, Hobbs, Lewington, and Djoos aren't even close to the NHL at this point, and Siegenthaler just went back to Europe.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This confuses me. Are they bragging about having draft picks outside of the first round? None of them are NHL regulars yet, so they can't be claiming success on them already, can they?

Yeah, I see nothing to brag about. Most of these guys will never play a full season in the NHL. The top 3 on the list should become NHL regulars and maybe Walker as well, but the rest is meh

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Yeah, I see nothing to brag about. Most of these guys will never play a full season in the NHL. The top 3 on the list should become NHL regulars and maybe Walker as well, but the rest is meh

I dunno about that assessment. I see Barber as a very good prospect and a guy like Lewington could easily be an aggressive nasty bottom pairing #5-6 in the NHL for a long time. Djoos might also make his way into the NHL one day as a third pairing offensive defender who gets some PP time despite his size. Not sure if the last two I mentioned get their shot in Washington due to depth or not but somebody will give them a shot.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
I will be at the first 2 reg season games but haven't yet been able to make myself care about the Caps this year. Haven't watched a single preseason game. Probably won't watch this one either, but maybe. We'll see if I get excited by the 15th, but honestly I think last playoffs may have been the final straw.

I haven't watched a preseason game yet, either. I still love the Caps and will watch reg. season games but that uneasy feeling won't go away regarding post season.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This confuses me. Are they bragging about having draft picks outside of the first round? None of them are NHL regulars yet, so they can't be claiming success on them already, can they? I mean, Hobbs, Lewington, and Djoos aren't even close to the NHL at this point, and Siegenthaler just went back to Europe.

I guess they could be "bragging" that their drafting has resulted in more than the previously touted collection of first rounders, hence the title and subtitle of the graphic. Are we supposed to be reading more into it than "prospects who are not first rounders"? I doubt it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Sure they can be. Lets start by saying that the website wants to promote these generally unfamiliar names so regular fans might know who they are when they see them.

Trotz has said in the last week that Sanford is a regular in the lineup and Walker will be a regular NHL player one day. I think most of us fully expect Bowey to be an NHL player. Most people like Barber and Seigenthaler. I don't see a problem with that post

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I guess they could be "bragging" that their drafting has resulted in more than the previously touted collection of first rounders, hence the title and subtitle of the graphic. Are we supposed to be reading more into it than "prospects who are not first rounders"? I doubt it.

As a CSN graphic, I agree it could be informative.

As a Capitals official twitter retweet with "The Kids are Alright," it changes the message from "here's who's in the system" to "hey look how good we are at drafting."

I don't think this bunch is notably better than non-first rounders they've had in the past.There was a point where Holtby, Eakin, Galiev, Grubauer, and Wey were in the pipeline simultaneously and Orlov had cracked the NHL. And then depth guys like Mitchell, Herbert, etc. that match up with the random depth guys near the bottom of that list.

Sure they can be. Lets start by saying that the website wants to promote these generally unfamiliar names so regular fans might know who they are when they see them.

Trotz has said in the last week that Sanford is a regular in the lineup and Walker will be a regular NHL player one day. I think most of us fully expect Bowey to be an NHL player. Most people like Barber and Seigenthaler. I don't see a problem with that post

Prospects are prospects. Trotz pumping their tires or fans liking them doesn't make them worthy of patting yourselves on the back. This just seems like putting the cart before the horse and declaring success before any of these kids actually finds success in the NHL ranks. Only one of them in on an active NHL roster, and the collection of them have a grand total of 9 NHL games played.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What's clear is no amount of success, short of a Cup can be appreciated by some. That list was nothing more than a "hey we're clearly doing better in an area we've historically struggled"....means nothing if you're not nitpicking.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As a CSN graphic, I agree it could be informative.

As a Capitals official twitter retweet with "The Kids are Alright," it changes the message from "here's who's in the system" to "hey look how good we are at drafting."

I don't think this bunch is notably better than non-first rounders they've had in the past.There was a point where Holtby, Eakin, Galiev, Grubauer, and Wey were in the pipeline simultaneously and Orlov had cracked the NHL. And then depth guys like Mitchell, Herbert, etc. that match up with the random depth guys near the bottom of that list.

Prospects are prospects. Trotz pumping their tires or fans liking them doesn't make them worthy of patting yourselves on the back. This just seems like putting the cart before the horse and declaring success before any of these kids actually finds success in the NHL ranks. Only one of them in on an active NHL roster, and the collection of them have a grand total of 9 NHL games played.

I didn't know re-tweeting was such serious business.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Most teams...I don't know. Maybe I am wrong. But don't most teams pump their own tires to promote their team? Isnt the word promotion kind of defined that way?

Not sure why you are all bent out of shape here. The Caps are the league leader in online content and promotion. They among the league leaders in game production.
Part of how that works is that they use a catchy phrase like The Kids are Alright instead of something sterile like In the System.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA