GDT: ISLES @ CANES 7:00pm: Fresh Beginnings of the Dundon Era

Win Gaem or Lose Gaem?

• Total voters

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Dundon seems to really love himself. That's my takeaway from this game. This team might be doomed with him as the owner.

Ummm....really?
The team finally has a guy interested in growing the fan base and improving the experience and that is your take? Last I checked, Dundon isn't putting food on my table, so whether or not he is an egomaniac means nothing to me.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I'm not sure I al buying into this team yet. It's the first game yes. But this team just lost and failed to score more than one goal against arguably the worst team in the league on paper. So there is that lurking in my head as well. Bug test today against Columbus.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Ummm....really?
The team finally has a guy interested in growing the fan base and improving the experience and that is your take? Last I checked, Dundon isn't putting food on my table, so whether or not he is an egomaniac means nothing to me.
Having people on the seats is pretty much the way a hockey team makes money, so no shit he wants people to come. And i agree, that's good. But he should not be managing the team.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Neutral fan here to say that I thought Carolina looked great against the Islanders and probably should have won the game based on how many prime scoring chances they had. Greiss really stole that game away from you guys, but at least you got a point.
Isles fan checking in - all of this is true

How you guys liking CDH so far? He’s a very solid 2-way player

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Was at the game.

• Canes dominated the game entirely. It was not remotely close. We had some shots from the perimeter, but we also had like 20 shots in close. Greiss was great and the Isles reminded me of Canes D with Peters in net in that they collapsed like a mother and made it real hard to get rebounds. Credit to them - that's the only thing they did well in the game.
  • Canes defense was dominant. Isles had so few scoring opportunities. I realized during an Isles PP I was holding my breath when Barzal had possession of the puck. I then realized it was the only time I was nervous in the entire game. We had possession of the puck in their zone much more often. I thought pretty much every defenseman looked good.
  • Mrazek looked fine, not great. He is an adventurer, and I don't mean that in a good way.
  • Necas looked solid. Foegele looked very fast. Rookies all in all made lots and lots of mistakes, but they tried hard.
  • The team offensively was not gelling. Lots of miscues and misplays in the offensive zone. Every player was whiffing on passes or passing instead of shooting. Some of the shot selection was poor. Justin Williams was hustling as much as he could, but he shouldn't have gotten so much PP time.
  • Even still, we had 3 or 4 posts and got 1 goal. If 3 of those posts go in, Canes win 4-1 and I think most fans would have walked away saying we should have won by more.
  • I thought Faulk looked fast and engaged, and I didn't notice as many turnovers for him as some of you did.
  • As others have said, **** Tim Peel. There was a clear interference play and a high stick on Islanders players in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd. No call. The trip on Ferland was a call that is sometimes called and sometimes not called, but you can't call that AND not call the other interference. Grrr. That said, Ferland should have played it safer on that play. From my view, it looked like Ferland's stick got the puck, and the Islander more lost balance than got knocked off by the stick, but I might have seen it wrong.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
ferland definitely tripped barzal at the end, it happened right in front of me.

his attempt at poke checking pushed barzal's skate forward (while getting a piece of the puck), then barzal tried to catch himself from falling and stepped on ferland's stick which caused him to fall. 100% a trip. barzal would have caught himself from the initial contact if ferland's stick wasn't in between his legs

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

his attempt at poke checking pushed barzal's skate forward (while getting a piece of the puck), then barzal tried to catch himself from falling and stepped on ferland's stick which caused him to fall. 100% a trip. barzal would have caught himself from the initial contact if ferland's stick wasn't in between his legs

So Ferland is who we should lynch, then. Someone has to answer for this disgusting loss of epic proportions that likely sank our season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
@geehaad I think these days if you’re mobile and can skate your way out of trouble in your own end, and can hit a nice pass to a forward while doing so you get the two way tag - it’s a spectrum and he’d be on one end of it.

He’s pretty mobile, I like his skating and aggressiveness at the right times. A little old school Adam Burt in there.

Ferland was exactly as he was for the Flames. I hope we keep him.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Yep, different angle from me but that's how I read the play as well. I'm more livid about the non-calls beforehand than I am the call that Peel did make, they were all the same level of "obvious" yet for some stupid reason only one was called.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Yep, different angle from me but that's how I read the play as well. I'm more livid about the non-calls beforehand than I am the call that Peel did make, they were all the same level of "obvious" yet for some stupid reason only one was called.

agreed on that piece

hopefully they got some of the nervous energy out and can settle down a bit tonight without the pressure of a home crowd primed to explode waiting for them. columbus also played an away game last night that went to OT (they won, of course), so both teams have to travel overnight.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok so we got a point. We also lost a point, but we got one.

I’m still frustrated after last night. They played SO well. Wave after wave, shift after shift. But they didn’t win the game.

The reason I’m mad is because this absolutely feels like the type of season that can be over before it starts if the first 5 games or so go poorly. 3-1 in the first four games could almost be expected given quality of competition. Now we need to beat Columbus tonight to make that a reality.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Ok so we got a point. We also lost a point, but we got one.

I’m still frustrated after last night. They played SO well. Wave after wave, shift after shift. But they didn’t win the game.

The reason I’m mad is because this absolutely feels like the type of season that can be over before it starts if the first 5 games or so go poorly. 3-1 in the first four games could almost be expected given quality of competition. Now we need to beat Columbus tonight to make that a reality.

Lose to choose Hughes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad