Recalled/Assigned: Isles Callup Brett Gallant

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The New York Islanders announced today that forward Brett Gallant has been recalled under emergency conditions from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League. Johan Sundstrom has been returned to the Sound Tigers.

Gallant, 25, leads the Sound Tigers with 245 penalty minutes, the fourth highest total in the AHL. The Summerside, PE, native also has two points (one goal, one assist) in 56 games this season.

The Islanders signed Gallant as a free agent on Feb. 5, 2013. The 2013-14 season marks his third full campaign with the Sound Tigers and his fifth professional season. In 140 AHL games with the Sound Tigers and Syracuse Crunch, Gallant has four goals, two assists and 596 penalty minutes.

Prior to his professional career, Gallant skated for both the Saint John Sea Dogs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and for his hometown’s Summerside Western Capitals in the Maritime Junior Hockey League. Gallant had a breakout year in his final season of junior hockey, recording 73 points (24 goals, 49 assists) and 235 penalty minutes in 50 games with Summerside during the 2008-09 campaign, en route to the Kent Cup title.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=713317

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
deff wasn't needed, but hey it will make the games fun seeing gallant and carkner fighting every game

Credentialed Isles reporter Matt Saidman had this to say at today's practice...

Matt Saidman @MattSaidman · 5h ago
Carkner's having a tough time at practice. You can tell his hands are hurting, understandably. Lots of grimacing, stepping out of drills

And this...

Matt Saidman @MattSaidman · 5h ago
Carkner just left the ice only 40 minutes into practice. He was really hurting

Don't know if it's related or not.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Feel bad for Carkner but gallant should bring (IMO) the excitement that Haley brought.
Oh how I long for the days of vukota/ baumgartner

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hes bad ass...Should make the last few games exciting...I just hope he does not hurt anyone on a playoff team...that would suck...

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Hes bad ass...Should make the last few games exciting...I just hope he does not hurt anyone on a playoff team...that would suck...

Not a dirty hockey player but he will kick ass of anyone who wants to dance with him. About the toughest MfO of 6' 185 I have seen in quite awhile.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
So if Carkner is out and martinek gets to play our payroll will be (yearly salary) 24 million for the 18 skaters in the next game. Add in 4.1 for Nabby and Nilsson combined and we are icing a team with a payroll of 28 mill. This includes gallant in for sundstrom. No wonder our tickets are 5 dollars.
Tuesday night Brett Gallant . As marv Albert used to say ? "YES"!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is Joey Diamond injured? I am surprised they haven't given him a call up yet(being a local boy and all)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Good for Gallant but can we just let this breed die already? I get that Boulton's been great in the locker room but I'm so done with enforcers that can't play hockey.

I agree...Its fun to watch but they only play like 2min TOI a game lol

I like the Lucic types....

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Good for Gallant but can we just let this breed die already? I get that Boulton's been great in the locker room but I'm so done with enforcers that can't play hockey.

Was a few games ago, but I saw Boulton make some nice plays and passes. He's got more skills than most enforcers.

Shawn33

Sep 3, 2008
Nova Scotia
To the people complaining about calling him up because he's not going to score, Can I ask you who else they should have called up that you feel might score some goals? And I think everyone would rather a "Lucic type" but the only one in the league is Milan Lucic.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Best middleweight fighter in hockey. Excited to see him get a chance to play in the big league.

Not a dirty hockey player but he will kick ass of anyone who wants to dance with him. About the toughest MfO of 6' 185 I have seen in quite awhile.

Maybe he'll dance with Neil tonight - we all know Martin would never dare.

With Neil and Kassian in the line up, you need someone to potentially drop the gloves in case it's needed. Halmo showed a lot of heart going up against Wilson but not sure he can do what Gallant can/would do.

Plus, the kid has earned a shot at playing with the big club - he's put in his time.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Maybe he'll dance with Neil tonight - we all know Martin would never dare.

With Neil and Kassian in the line up, you need someone to potentially drop the gloves in case it's needed. Halmo showed a lot of heart going up against Wilson but not sure he can do what Gallant can/would do.

Plus, the kid has earned a shot at playing with the big club - he's put in his time.

The bold :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad