Confirmed with Link: Islanders Re-sign Engvall

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Does
The Isles have trouble signing players. He's a solid middle 6 player, in his prime, with size and speed. 7 years is a long time, but this is a fairly reasonable contract all things considered.
But he’s taking up the spot from some AHL tweener that may turn into a bang for the buck player or getting excited about some 1yr $900 signing that nets 40Gs…

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The Isles have trouble signing players. He's a solid middle 6 player, in his prime, with size and speed. 7 years is a long time, but this is a fairly reasonable contract all things considered.
This is a bottom 6 player who doesn't utilize his size to his advantage and has never scored more than 15 goals in a season. That is not the type of player you give 7 years to. This deal is only slightly less insane than locking up Scott Mayfield till he's 37 years old.

Reactions: MJF

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I’m seeing a lot of people call Engvall a “replacement level player.” Is that seriously how people evaluate him? He is much better than that and I firmly believe we will look back on this day and say this was the best contract signed today. Even better than the Sorokin one.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
This is a bottom 6 player who doesn't utilize his size to his advantage and has never scored more than 15 goals in a season. That is not the type of player you give 7 years to. This deal is only slightly less insane than locking up Scott Mayfield till he's 37 years old.
He has been in the league for 4 years, playing over 75 games twice with 15 and 17 goal seasons. His zone entries are valuable here, and we all hope he uses his body more. He is 27, with low mileage.
Much more sane than the Mayfield signing.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Well Mayfield was 23/24 years old when he signed that deal. Engvall is 27 pushing 28 I believe.
Yeah but in the same light , Mayfield had done nothing to earn 5 years at the time. Everyone here was so short sighted and history proved them all wrong, it was a great signing. Maybe EngvalL can shed the role he had in Toronto and blossom, maybe not , but 3 million in todays salaries is not crazy

Reactions: TMI and Seph

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
A guy who scores 15 goals a season is a pretty good player. He got a pretty good contract that matches his production.
who are the other forwards who average 23 points a season that have 7 year contracts? (granted, covid shortened seasons skew this negatively for him)

Also, he scored 17 last year, I read his stats incorrectly before.

He has been in the league for 4 years, playing over 75 games twice with 15 and 17 goal seasons. His zone entries are valuable here, and we all hope he uses his body more. He is 27, with low mileage.
Much more sane than the Mayfield signing.
Yeah fine. Sign him to a 2-3 year deal then. 7 years for any bottom 6 forward is nuts IMO. And yes, it is less insane than the Mayfield signing, but that doesn't mean it's a good use of future dollars or even on a more basic level, a roster spot.

Answer me this guys. Is there another team in the league that would give Pierre Engvall a 7 year contract?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think the angle here is that he was misused in Toronto and can blossom into a 20 goal scorer who can provide valuable zone entries in the middle of the lineup.

Small sample size, but he paced for ~21 goals and ~42 points on the Islanders after he came over from Toronto. That’s pretty solid considering this is supposed to be the place where everyone’s offense comes to die.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
He’s a replacement level bottom 6 player. He doesn’t warrant 7 years.
This is just wrong. He is not a replacement level bottom 6 forward. He's a middle 6 winger with speed and does everything fairly well. He can also skate with the puck which many Isles forwards cannot. Cizikas, Clutter, and Martin are replacement level. Not Engvall.

With that being said, 7 years is a bit much but it's a low enough cap hit that should age OK. If he is an above average 3rd line for the length of the 7 years, it's a good contract. If he can become a 20/20 guy, this becomes a good contract. The skills are there. Time will tell I suppose.

Reactions: nyisleslover

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
FL just signed Rodriguez for 4yr/$3M, so Lou just wanted more years as a Christmas present or to keep the AAV down.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
This is just wrong. He is not a replacement level bottom 6 forward. He's a middle 6 winger with speed and does everything fairly well. He can also skate with the puck which many Isles forwards cannot. Cizikas, Clutter, and Martin are replacement level. Not Engvall.

With that being said, 7 years is a bit much but it's a low enough cap hit that should age OK. If he is an above average 3rd line for the length of the 7 years, it's a good contract. If he can become a 20/20 guy, this becomes a good contract. The skills are there. Time will tell I suppose.
He’s 27 years old and his career high is 15 goals and 20 assists in 78 games. The contract stinks.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
A guy who scores 15 goals a season is a pretty good player. He got a pretty good contract that matches his production.
No he’s not.

But for Islanders fans, who have been abused forever, 15 goals is a star.

Don’t like the 7 years but this is worth $3mil all day. Just need to increase his role/TOI.View attachment 725067
The team will be forever eating bad contracts in the out years that they can’t get rid of and never seem to want to waive.

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
He’s 27 years old and his career high is 15 goals and 20 assists in 78 games. The contract stinks.
I'm not crazy about the term. But if he plays like he did at the end of the season and in the playoffs, the 3 mil AAV is very good. I wouldn't look too much into the career highs. His role with the Isles will be different. He was at a 0.5 ppg pace with the Isles and that included a bad start. He also played quite well in the playoffs.

I'm not sure what you're expecting at 3 mil, but if you get a 40-50 point player out of it, you did well. I believe that playing in a true top 9 role with a Nelson, will get them there. The only question here is term, but his AAV is low enough where you can likely get out of it towards the end. But this team is built to win now, and I think this has a chance to be a value contract. You are underrating him as a player using counting stats in a different role on a different team.

Time will tell, but I may be in the minority that thinks that he will outplay his contract. Lou is not really good at signing value deals, I think this can be one of the few. Hope I'm right.

Reactions: nyisleslover

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I think the angle here is that he was misused in Toronto and can blossom into a 20 goal scorer who can provide valuable zone entries in the middle of the lineup.

Small sample size, but he paced for ~21 goals and ~42 points on the Islanders after he came over from Toronto. That’s pretty solid considering this is supposed to be the place where everyone’s offense comes to die.
Solid point and obviously what Isles management is looking for. Now it comes down to coaching to unlock players potential and have them buy in and improve habits on the ice. Progression and growth isn't just on the players. I hope Lane and his cronies on the bench adjust as well.

Great Post!

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
who are the other forwards who average 23 points a season that have 7 year contracts? (granted, covid shortened seasons skew this negatively for him)

Also, he scored 17 last year, I read his stats incorrectly before.

Yeah fine. Sign him to a 2-3 year deal then. 7 years for any bottom 6 forward is nuts IMO. And yes, it is less insane than the Mayfield signing, but that doesn't mean it's a good use of future dollars or even on a more basic level, a roster spot.

Answer me this guys. Is there another team in the league that would give Pierre Engvall a 7 year contract?
Nick Paul

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Has he ever played center? Some sites list him as a winger/center. Guy has some speed and vision and isn't aggressive on the wall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad