Pre-Game Talk: Islanders @ Panthers: season turnaround starts now

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
The bill for season's tickets becomes due in February. I won't know about playoffs by then (unless we're going to miss as usual). I'm most certainly becoming convinced to roll the dice and not renew. Next season, I can always buy individual games on the cheap. Or I can drive a few times to Tampa if I want to see a competitive team who doesn't get outshot 9-2 in the first ten minutes of every friggin game.

Sorry about the less than rosy outlook. I've been a loyal SSH for a long time. Almost 15 years. One playoff experience. My ROI is just terrible. I thought this was the year we'd be competitive in every game but instead it's the same old.

The blame starts with owners. The coach and GM won't leave without being fired. Tallon passed up on Bylsma, Laviolette, and even friggin Tortorella. All would have been good. I thought Tallon was going to be the difference maker but his 5-year blueprint has turned into nothing. He finally lost me with the Bolland deal.

I'll leave a glimmer of hope on the table, but things will have to change. They have to be able to go on more than two game win streaks. They have to outshoot the other teams more than half the time. They have to come out of the gates much stronger. The coaching needs to improve dramatically. They have to be in playoffs by the time season tickets come up again or else no deal.

Supposedly Tallon wanted Bylsma but the owners wouldn't pony up the $$. Then they settled on Gallant. Somebody posted that on here awhile back anyway and if it's on HF it has to be true. :sarcasm:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The bill for season's tickets becomes due in February. I won't know about playoffs by then (unless we're going to miss as usual). I'm most certainly becoming convinced to roll the dice and not renew. Next season, I can always buy individual games on the cheap. Or I can drive a few times to Tampa if I want to see a competitive team who doesn't get outshot 9-2 in the first ten minutes of every friggin game.

Sorry about the less than rosy outlook. I've been a loyal SSH for a long time. Almost 15 years. One playoff experience. My ROI is just terrible. I thought this was the year we'd be competitive in every game but instead it's the same old.

The blame starts with owners. The coach and GM won't leave without being fired. Tallon passed up on Bylsma, Laviolette, and even friggin Tortorella. All would have been good. I thought Tallon was going to be the difference maker but his 5-year blueprint has turned into nothing. He finally lost me with the Bolland deal.

I'll leave a glimmer of hope on the table, but things will have to change. They have to be able to go on more than two game win streaks. They have to outshoot the other teams more than half the time. They have to come out of the gates much stronger. The coaching needs to improve dramatically. They have to be in playoffs by the time season tickets come up again or else no deal.

You must be kidding about this guy. If we had Torts, he would be trying to trade Barkov!

Torts is not a good coach. Plus it would have cost us a 2nd round pick as well! lol.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
With Campbell and Mitchell getting closer to the exit, I would tend to agree. There's no guarantee Matheson is ready for full-time duties next season.

Less likely a just drafted defenseman would be ready for full time duty.

Usually, guys like Ekblad are the exception, not the norm.

I'm all for drafting the BPA, and I hope the BPA next year is an very good goal scorer.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Pretty much.

After another 20 games, you'll start seeing some Matthews/Chychrun threads pop up.

I really don't know which position we need more, probably D.
Well that would be typical Tallon thinking if they drafted Chychrun. He isn't exactly tearing up juniors this year offensively, but he is the best overall defensive prospect in the draft.

This team should totally ignore any defensive prospects until the 4th round in the next few drafts. They will need veteran experience with Soup and Mitchell gone and that will come in UFA or trade. I doubt we are going to be in position to draft Matthews but there are some very good prospects that can put the puck in the net, and these are the guys they need to go after in the first three rounds in the next few years. Yes, most if not all will need to wait a few years before getting there chance in the NHL, but the team needs to make an investment in the goal scoring dept.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
From the last thread what does frontloaded deal for Florida mean?
It means they get most of the $86M from the county in the form of tourist tax receipts in the first 7 years in lieu of the 12 years remaining on the contract to occupy the BB&T. It's a way to help the owners digest the losses they are suffering. A consultant was hired and he determined it's financially better for the county to subsidize the Cats rather than lose them.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
GR says Smith on 2nd line, so that mean slow Jussi is on with Tro. Tro needs to play with guys that have a little speed and skill and I like him with Smith better. I guess the coaches feel they need more of a defensive presence to go along with Tro and Shaw.

Jussi went off early today at practice and Brick took his place on the 3rd line. I would assume Bolland was probably a 4th on that line also.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
We're all about to see the value of JH11.

He's been making some good plays more recently (and some befuddling ones as well), but at the end of the day the top line needs to score and he's way behind Barkov's pace and Jagr in goals & points, so it certainly seems worthwhile to try some other options sooner rather than later.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
if pirri could somehow get going and start playing anything close to how he was last season, it would be hugeeeeeeee for us! lets pray this move works out like we hope it can. barkov and jagr can both pass, he just needs to take the open ice and fire anytime he gets a pass near the goal.

and on that topic of mathews vs chychrun. mathews, thats not even a question. chychrun is a stud and chychurun-ekblad is insane, not to mention he was born in boca which is even more awesome, you take mathews every single time. puljujarvi has blown me away from what ive seen from the big bodied finn, if it were chychrun vs puljujarvi id have to think a little on that one for 2nd overall but i think id still go chychrun. but yea, mathews of course. even being the panthers, i can't imagine passing up on an offensive stud to draft a d.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Mitchell would have probably been scratched by now if he didn't have the "C".

The signs were there towards the 2nd half of last season, but I wasn't expecting him to regress this quickly.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Have they been doing Huberdeau on the point on the powerplay?

I think I saw that recently.

Not sure why. His shot is buttery soft next to Campbell.

Need half or full clap bombs from the point that get past shot blockers. Sometimes it seems like Ek is the only friggin' guy that can achieve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad