News Article: Islanders' Isles Lab An In-Arena Retail, Cultural Success

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Good read, and no it’s not for everyone and if you don’t like or get it, it’s maybe not for you.

Also this was Malkin firm that put this together and sales of merch are up 700% online.

Last edited:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

Good read, and no it’s not for everyone and if you don’t like or get it, it’s maybe not for you.

Also this was Malkin firm that put this together and sales of merch are up 700%.
I may have missed it but up 700% from what baseline?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I may have missed it but up 700% from what baseline?
The Isles Lab concept extends online, where between 70% and 80% of the in-store product is also available. Even after a giant opening year, sales in the arena flagship are up 50% this season. Sales online are up 700%. Katz says it shows no signs of slowing down.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
It's a great experience.. tons of stuff everywhere---- and I enjoy the entire trip and walk right past the register.. lol

A lot of $$$ for this stuff, but definitely the place to go for a special gift or bday present for kiddos, etc.

Definitely well done.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Realistically the prices of these items are slightly overpriced by about 10-20 dollars but I am assuming the quality is fantastic. Compare it to something like Fanatics where the shirts will last about a year before you have to buy a new one.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
When I went last year I picked up a crewneck sweatshirt that had a few inaugural season patches stitched onto it. The other sweatshirts in the rack didn't have the patches, just the one. Found it pretty cool if they randomly disperse some "custom" shop merchandise in with the rest of the apparel at the the same price.

For sure an experience that is WAY different from anything we'd ever seen at the Coliseum. Kudos to our owners to introduce something relatively innovative that makes the team money.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Realistically the prices of these items are slightly overpriced by about 10-20 dollars but I am assuming the quality is fantastic. Compare it to something like Fanatics where the shirts will last about a year before you have to buy a new one.
i've had good success with fanatics thankfully....bought my son a Wash. Redskins Ryan Kerrigan jersey several years ago and a Barzal hoodie. Both have held up well.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The furnishings in the team store kind of remind me of shopping at Barney's in Manhattan back in the day.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For a long time I felt sports leagues missed the mark when it came to merchandise and this has been a welcomed step in the right direction. I find myself checking their website way more frequently than I used to check the NHL store for items, even if I wouldn't wear the majority of the stuff.

They're still missing the mark for more understated merchandise but I get that it's a far less popular aesthetic.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For a long time I felt sports leagues missed the mark when it came to merchandise and this has been a welcomed step in the right direction. I find myself checking their website way more frequently than I used to check the NHL store for items, even if I wouldn't wear the majority of the stuff.

They're still missing the mark for more understated merchandise but I get that it's a far less popular aesthetic.
Team wear is a niche market. 2 niches actually as it crosses from fans to the urban youth market. I don’t think understated is really a market Isles Lab is looking to catch.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
Reading the comments here make me laugh. The owners are incredible, they have finally found something we can all agree upon…The Team Store!!!!

I really like the store, creativity is impressive. As mentioned above fun to walk around, but a little too much for my wallet.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Team wear is a niche market. 2 niches actually as it crosses from fans to the urban youth market. I don’t think understated is really a market Isles Lab is looking to catch.

Occasionally they're adding in a piece or two that is close but it's definitely not what they're looking for, yet. Fashion trends are cyclical so I expect it'll become popular at some point.

Reading the comments here make me laugh. The owners are incredible, they have finally found something we can all agree upon…The Team Store!!!!

I really like the store, creativity is impressive. As mentioned above fun to walk around, but a little too much for my wallet.

So true.

What is refreshing about it the one time I was there is that it wasn't just like walking into a Modell's or some other clothing outlet.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I never wore a track suit to work.

the-sopranos-silvio-dante.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad