Speculation: Islanders first rounder

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Per TSN, Islanders to send a first to LVGK...

Islanders expose Calvin de Haan, now considered a legit top four rising d man, top five in shot blocks, moves puck well, cool under pressure...up for a new contract as an RFA, expected to command $4 million plus on a multi year deal.

Why the Islanders send him: he's a valuable enough piece to get Vegas to play ball here. Keeps their costs down to acquire help for Tavares.

What the Islanders want: a top six wing to play with Tavares, or a second line centre to back Tavares up

Why Vegas does this: they can get a young well regarded D in the fold, or flip him to the highest bidder; the first rounder could be in the 2019 or 2020 draft, both really well regarded...

How it could play out: Islanders steer Vegas to select an exposed player of the Islanders choosing...Plekanec, Staal, Neal, Ryan for example.

Otherwise the Islanders could just have sent a second rounder and exposed Adam Pelech- well regarded in his own right, but limited skating and puck moving relative to de haan.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Interesting perspective

So youre suggesting Vegas ends up with de Haan + 15th overall pick from Isles and the Isles get a forward that Vegas claimed? Only player worth that package is probably Neal.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Interesting perspective

So youre suggesting Vegas ends up with de Haan + 15th overall pick from Isles and the Isles get a forward that Vegas claimed? Only player worth that package is probably Neal.

I'm saying it's possible, given that de Haan is more valuable than say Adam Pelech or even Ryan Pulock, two up and coming young D men...

Some think the first rounder means the Islanders have an extended protection list- Nelson, Strome, and de haan...but why not just expose Pelech and protect de haan? Would it cost less to protect Pelech? See what I mean?

The draft pick could also be in 2019 or 2020, two EXCELLENT drafts...maybe, just maybe the relationship Snow has with McPhee (the latter was hired and worked in New York last year) adds to the speculation.

Just interesting why de Haan was exposed...this enables Vegas to grab him, maybe try and sign him- to keep or flip...

A first plus an excellent young D coming back you can then turn into more assets could mean Snow has his eye on a player McPhee could then grab for the Islanders.

Interesting times.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
De Haan is the guy I'd prefer of the available options. Seems like a pretty good chance there's a deal in place, like with the Ducks I suspect there's fire behind the smoke.

Looking at these lists it seems like the Wild and Bluejackets might also have deals in place with McPhee. Wednesday night's gonna be fun dudes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad