Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Capitals Game 7 7:30pm 4/27/15 (MOD WARNING POST #2 ALL MUST READ)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
considering the salary cap and what a hometown discount would look like for beagle, I would suggest that the caps choose between him and fehr and if he stays its only with the 3c in mind. Latta is going to be a cheaper and better fit for 4c.

I doubt the Caps stick with the Burt is a center plan, but if they went to 65 as 3c then beagle at 4 might work. I just don't think that is what they want now.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Fast, energetic PKers that provide no offense are a dime a dozen in the league. I like Beagle, but he doesn't bring a skill set that warrants north of $1M.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Hell, just sign Kyle Brodziak. Fills Beagle's role as RH FO guy and PKer and is a legit 3C.

There's also Gomez, Malhotra, and Winnik if you're looking for a center and don't care about handedness.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
BoS @Blades_ofsteel
RT @YahooSportsNHL: #NHL: Facoff win pct. (minimum 30 faceoffs)

Beagle 67.5%
Kesler 63.3%
Lapierre 61.8%
Eller 61.6%
Stajan 61.0%
Horvat 6…

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Yes, still the NY Islanders. Technically, Brooklyn is on Long island, but we who live on the island consider it the city. And yes, the frustration comes from the people who live on the island who have suffered through ****** times only to see the team become good and now move to the city. Its not that far of a ride (about an hour train ride), but its still not the same. Just frustrating to see the team you grew up loving who plays 15 minutes from your house move because politicians ****ed it all up.:shakehead

I will feel the same way if/when the Skins build a stadium in NOVA. Frustrating, but it's all about the money.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sign Fiddler if need be. Trotz connection. Paille might work as a depth LW PKer.

I don't think there's an in-house bottom six PKer in the pipeline right now. Not in the near-term anyway.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Islanders board has a lot of "Caps cheap shots" and "Ive lost respect for how they play" talk. Ah, the guilty pleasures of reading another team's board. Now we know that we are finally playing playoff hockey.

I know. every borderline hit from behind by Ov or Wilson is dirty and every borderline hit from behind from Martin or Clutterbuck is clean heart and soul.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
BoS @Blades_ofsteel
RT @NHL: "You deserve it buddy. I'm rooting for ya!"

@ovi8 gets mic'd up during #Handshakes.
https://t.co/stoR9T8nQE

I really hate that they censor these. Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue if they have a censored version but I don't get why they just can't release an uncensored one as well. That's the game, that's how they talk, let it be shown.

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm aware. He'd be replacing Beagle's role and Fehr's.

I don't know that he's been the guy you think he is for the last few years, offensively.

If you think Latta replaces Beagle at 4c, ok (I don't). I understand wanting more offense out of the 3rd line but the problem there is 21. I could take or leave Fehr. There's so much that could be done with 52 and 21's salary, so we'll have to see where management takes it.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Wait, who wants to replace Fehr? As Warden said, the issue of offense on the 3rd line this year has been Laich. Fehr has done well. With someone besides just Joel Ward on his wing to score, I think he can be a 20/20 guy, or at least a 15/20 guy. What we need to do is let a few guys walk and then try trading Laich in the off season. I doubt we can get Green on a good deal so I'm sure he walks and unless Ward's willing to take 3 for 2, -maybe- 4 for 2, I'd let him walk as well.

Will have a good amount of money to make some moves. Question is who will be out there who'll fit the necessary criteria for those moves...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't think the Caps pay Beagle more than 1.5m. I don't think Latta brings remotely what Beagle does looking at where in the lineup Beagle has played this season. Beagle is a trusted player in defensive situations. Situations that Trotz doesn't give Latta sniff on. If Beagle wants more than 1.5 I think the Caps let him go and find another way.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Yes, still the NY Islanders. Technically, Brooklyn is on Long island, but we who live on the island consider it the city. And yes, the frustration comes from the people who live on the island who have suffered through ****** times only to see the team become good and now move to the city. Its not that far of a ride (about an hour train ride), but its still not the same. Just frustrating to see the team you grew up loving who plays 15 minutes from your house move because politicians ****ed it all up.:shakehead

I had no idea Brooklyn is technically on Long Island. I'm not so good at geography. Wow. Alright I feel better about the move already. I was totally wrong when I said not changing the name would make no sense. It will still be a sensible name, technically, I guess.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

The Redskins lost their soul when they left Washington DC. Hopefully the Isles don't suffer the same fate.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just watched Capuano's post-game presser. If I were an Isles fan I would not be happy with that. They got beat like an old mule, the score notwithstanding, and he made it sound like his guys brought their best game. Concerning to hear from a guy coaching young players.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't know that he's been the guy you think he is for the last few years, offensively.

If you think Latta replaces Beagle at 4c, ok (I don't). I understand wanting more offense out of the 3rd line but the problem there is 21. I could take or leave Fehr. There's so much that could be done with 52 and 21's salary, so we'll have to see where management takes it.
I think he's a guy that could certainly put up a15/15 stat line at 3C. He likely won't pot 20 again without injuries in the top 6, but I don't think Fehr does either. He'd be replacing Fehr's ES role as a hard-working 3C (with added defense and heaviness) and Beagle's FO and PK roles.

Fehr isn't coming back and we shouldn't pay Beagle what he'll command. Brodziak would be a nice value at replacing a lot of what we'll lose with them.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think he's a guy that could certainly put up a15/15 stat line at 3C. He likely won't pot 20 again without injuries in the top 6, but I don't think Fehr does either. He'd be replacing Fehr's ES role as a hard-working 3C (with added defense and heaviness) and Beagle's FO and PK roles.

Fehr isn't coming back and we shouldn't pay Beagle what he'll command. Brodziak would be a nice value at replacing a lot of what we'll lose with them.

Why not...?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't read too much into their low shots. They only lost by one goal. And it took some Kuz magic and our PK to win it for us.

I think with their injured and young defense, us at home, Fred tried to bait us and wanted to counter, much like Montreal did in 2010.

With his defense and Halak being rather porous at times, maybe it was wise to pack it in and mega turtle. Date did it to the 2nd round on the road. Montreal against us and took out Pitt as well IIRC on the road. Fear the turtle.

So glad it failed, otherwise we would all have to live with another depressing dominating loss at home in game 7. I am not sure how many of them we can collectively take.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I will feel the same way if/when the Skins build a stadium in NOVA. Frustrating, but it's all about the money.

Definitely sucks. better than the alternative, but still sucks. Im 39 yrs old and have been going to the NVMC since I was 11 with seasons tickets for most of those years. It was a second home. The barclays is a beautiful arena, but just won't be the same.

I had no idea Brooklyn is technically on Long Island. I'm not so good at geography. Wow. Alright I feel better about the move already. I was totally wrong when I said not changing the name would make no sense. It will still be a sensible name, technically, I guess.

Yes, brokklyn is technically on LI. But, like I said us"suburbanites" consider it the city. Its a borough of NYC as well, if that makes sense.

The Redskins lost their soul when they left Washington DC. Hopefully the Isles don't suffer the same fate.

Jeez, I hope not. It'll be weird for sure, but if they win, I guess then it doesn't really matter? :help: Just frustrating to see them leave now they have actually become a good hockey team. But again, they could have moved out of state too, so i guess Brooklyn is what we have to take at this point.

I remember going to an isles/Caps game about 25 years ago in the old arena(forget the name). Was it in Landover? And now the Verizon Center is in downtown, so the city, correct?

edit: ok, I think it was the Capital Centre?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad