Rumor: Islanders and Matt Martin working on a new deal

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Going to be hard to fit him in even if they can dump Boychuk. They probably need to dump Komarov as well.

I figured he might have went tot he Devils who might want a little grit and probably can give him a better offer money wise all while still being in the NY metro area.

Reactions: qqaz

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
He wasn't making the mistake of leaving twice. He impressed me getting 5 play-off goals this year, not usually his thing. Though I guess he did play next to Stammer in juniors.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Wasn't his blood temporarily blue and white?

I still never get the Leaf's misuse of Martin. Sure he was overpaid but in his short time in Toronto, it felt like they lacked grit then they keep him sitting in the press box. it was a complete waste of an asset

Reactions: Morrison

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
He should be aware of the perfect situation he is put in on the Island. Someone on the Avs board (@Cousin Eddie IIRC) made a point about him being one guy from that line who doesn't really work away from Czisikis and Cal and I would agree. He compliments them perfectly.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I still never get the Leaf's misuse of Martin. Sure he was overpaid but in his short time in Toronto, it felt like they lacked grit then they keep him sitting in the press box. it was a complete waste of an asset

Finishing your checks and showing emotions is a sin in Toronto... if you do so you'll be traded to New York or Colorado.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Because having just one "tough guy" on a line doesn't work. Martin worked well on the Islanders because they put out an entire grinder line with hitters and gritty players (Clutterbuck & Cizikas). Toronto didn't have the personnel to make an entire line like that, so the 5-10 mins of icetime Martin got a game were just him being a liability to two other players that tried to play a possession or skill game.

Leafs did the same thing with Clifford this year. He didn't fit with any of the players he was lined up with. You can't half ass it with checking lines.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
As an outsider watcher, he played pretty decent and surprised me at times during the playoffs when he was injected in there.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Going to be hard to fit him in even if they can dump Boychuk. They probably need to dump Komarov as well.

I figured he might have went tot he Devils who might want a little grit and probably can give him a better offer money wise all while still being in the NY metro area.
NJ has absolutely no interest in Matt Martin, we have a logjam of NHL ready forwards competing for spots in the bottom-6 and are not going to be wasting one of those spots on a no-talent 4th liner.

If they add another forward it will be someone who can play in the top-6, though I suspect the focus is on adding another defenseman right now.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
NJ has absolutely no interest in Matt Martin, we have a logjam of NHL ready forwards competing for spots in the bottom-6 and are not going to be wasting one of those spots on a no-talent 4th liner.

If they add another forward it will be someone who can play in the top-6, though I suspect the focus is on adding another defenseman right now.
So, you already have enough no talent fourth liners?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad