Post-Game Talk: Isl3s vs. K4pit0ls. V3riz0n3 C3nt3r. 7pm. 10.15.2016 {h4x0r 3dit0n}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Boring game, but that may be a good thing. Caps looked slow in the first, probably the Red Carpet hangover again (why do they keep doing that?), but dominated for large stretches of the second and third. Top line wasn't good but wasn't bad either, second line was solid, but not as good as against Pitt, didn't really notice the third line, fourth was flying. Good defensively, very few bad turnovers. Overall, a solid, dominant effort. Only minus was special teams, imo. Not too worried about that, though.

At the very least, the Caps definitely haven't peaked too early yet.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Just left.

A not exciting type game for sure - but Caps fought to get 2 points.

Wilson missed a wide open net in the third. Need to start converting late game chances like that.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just left.

Wilson missed a wide open net in the third. Need to start converting late game chances like that.

I think Tavares lifted his stick or something on the back check. Hell of a defensive play by JT. I agree with you though, Wilson should've been harder on his stick, but I think he wasn't expecting Beagle to do a great move and feed the puck like this.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just left.

the 4th line as a group had several quality chances. meanwhile....orlov. ugh

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Orpik looks good (except for that bounce off his skate)

I like it when he doesn't put himself out of position by going for a big hit. He needs to stay back, angle the forwards towards the corner and finish them off there. He should block shots if he needs to. In 2015 when he was at his best with us, he was playing a lot like Alzner.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think Tavares lifted his stick or something on the back check. Hell of a defensive play by JT. I agree with you though, Wilson should've been harder on his stick, but I think he wasn't expecting Beagle to do a great move and feed the puck like this.

Yeah. But he should be expecting something. Be. Ready.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I like it when he doesn't put himself out of position by going for a big hit. He needs to stay back, angle the forwards towards the corner and finish them off there. He should block shots if he needs to. In 2015 when he was at his best with us, he was playing a lot like Alzner.

Part of Orpik's job is intimidation. When he hits it hurts. Those hits in the neutral zone set a tone and force players to keep their head up when he is on the ice.

Its usually worth the risk.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Part of Orpik's job is intimidation. When he hits it hurts. Those hits in the neutral zone set a tone and force players to keep their head up when he is on the ice.

Its usually worth the risk.

At which cost though? Orpik stepping up for a big hit and missing is exactly the same thing as Orlov or Schmidt getting caught out of position. I don't mind seeing them go for the big hit in the neutral zone from time to time, but they've got to pick their targets better.

If you see a slow guy with his head down, definitely step up for the big hit. If it's Patrick Kane, forget it, he'll just deke past you and leave you 20 feet behind the play.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Kuzy looks off.

Since about game #65 last season. I fear he will be a guy that dominates weak teams and struggles against good ones. This team does not have time for him to grow into his role. Will he get points playing with OV? Sure he will, he has a lot of talent and is playing with maybe the best goal scorer of all time. Will he produce against other teams top guys on a regular basis or when it really counts? At this point if it comes down to him forcing his will against other top players I am not confidant in him.

Last edited by a moderator:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
So, who will score 2 goals against Colorado?:sarcasm:

A week ago, I said that the 26-83-43 will be our favorite line. And it is. They were the best in the O zone, they played very good against the Tavares line, what do you want more from a 4th line?:handclap::handclap:

We have earn 75% points, but I'm worried about the specials teams. Don't like it so far.:shakehead

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At which cost though? Orpik stepping up for a big hit and missing is exactly the same thing as Orlov or Schmidt getting caught out of position. I don't mind seeing them go for the big hit in the neutral zone from time to time, but they've got to pick their targets better.

If you see a slow guy with his head down, definitely step up for the big hit. If it's Patrick Kane, forget it, he'll just deke past you and leave you 20 feet behind the play.

Whenever Orlov or Niskanen step for an open ice hit the same way they step up for an offensive play. And they do. You are not suggesting that Carlson shouldn't step up for offensive plays.

I also notice that you chose Orlov and Schmidt getting caught out of position.

Oprik's job is the open ice hit. He is going to take more chances than anyone else on the team to do that. He is going to miss and get caught up ice. Carlson is going to get caught up ice ALL SEASON. Its his job....ok. It was his job. I have really seen him jump into the play in the first two games. Not sure what his job is now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Since about game #65 last season. I fear he will be a guy that dominates weak teams and struggles against good ones. This team does not have time for him to grow into his role. Will he get points playing with OV? Sure he will, he has a lot of talent and is playing with maybe the best goal scorer of all time. Will he produce against other teams top guys on a regular basis or when it really counts? At this point if it comes down to him forcing his will against other top players I am not confidant in him.

Trade him to Detroit?

Meanwhile, Kuznetsov does look off. Its not just good teams v weak teams. he has like one goal in his last 37 games or something. I would guess that his confidence is in rubble. He doesn't carry the puck like he used to. Either the defense has done something to force him away from the things he used to do or he has last the desire to do that as well.

Also not sure that playing with Ovechkin is going to create points for him either. It may well drag down 8 and 77 more than pump up 92

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

It's been two games, and he almost scored yesterday, put a shot off the post from close range. Give him some time. I mean, Joe Colborne and Richard Panik have 3 goals already, are they going to challenge for the Rocket?

Whenever Orlov or Niskanen step for an open ice hit the same way they step up for an offensive play. And they do. You are not suggesting that Carlson shouldn't step up for offensive plays.

I also notice that you chose Orlov and Schmidt getting caught out of position.

Oprik's job is the open ice hit. He is going to take more chances than anyone else on the team to do that. He is going to miss and get caught up ice. Carlson is going to get caught up ice ALL SEASON. Its his job....ok. It was his job. I have really seen him jump into the play in the first two games. Not sure what his job is now.

But Carlson's overall play outweighs by far its inherent risks. That may not be the case for Orpik. Last year, the risk was greater than the reward for him, he was unreliable.

Trade him to Detroit?

Meanwhile, Kuznetsov does look off. Its not just good teams v weak teams. he has like one goal in his last 37 games or something. I would guess that his confidence is in rubble. He doesn't carry the puck like he used to. Either the defense has done something to force him away from the things he used to do or he has last the desire to do that as well.

Also not sure that playing with Ovechkin is going to create points for him either. It may well drag down 8 and 77 more than pump up 92

I don't think his confidence is in rubble. It didn't appear to be in rubble when he was scoring great goals for Russia against NA and Canada. He had a great chance to score yesterday and he put it off the post. He's had terrible luck since the end of the previous regular season. 8-92-77 will find each other again, I'm sure they will.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I was ready to roast Wilson for that play but I watched the replay a few times and the camera angle from behind Beagle showed that Tavares poked the puck away before Wilson could get a stick to it. It was a great play by TS 100% and Wilson's stick control wouldn't have changed anything.

Maybe lost on the play is the nice rush and setup by Beagle.

Also, seemed like Alzner looked...bigger... during his interview. Not necessarily more buff or fat, just more filled out I guess.

Eskobar

Sep 28, 2016
So, who will score 2 goals against Colorado?:sarcasm:

A week ago, I said that the 26-83-43 will be our favorite line. And it is. They were the best in the O zone, they played very good against the Tavares line, what do you want more from a 4th line?:handclap::handclap:

We have earn 75% points, but I'm worried about the specials teams. Don't like it so far.:shakehead

Power play troubles could be a blessing in disguise. We have no choice but to score on even strength.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The good:
+4th line had a fantastic game. Generated some very good chances and of course both goals by Winnik
+Holtby was again solid, nothing he could do about that goal
+Second line was strong in possession, even if they didn't create as much this game as last game
+The defense as a whole allowed very few good chances against (Alzner with a great play on the 3v1, Tavares in general didn't generate much, better zone exits than against Pittsburgh)

The bad:
-The power play stunk again. Everything seems a bit off.
-Except for the 4th line there wasn't much offense generated at even strength
-The first line in particular was bad, hopefully a game against defensively porous Colorado will help jumpstart Ovechkin and Kuznetsov in particular
-That Orlov turnover (good recovery by Sanford)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Nice to see them winning a game despite bad special teams. Feel like it's been a while since they last scored even 2 ES goals in a game.

Pretty meh game. Not much happening, but lines 1-3 are still missing most of the time.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Pretty boring game. Ice seemed down right awful. And definitely the team not much in sync yet which, maybe in the grand scheme, is a bit ok. How many teams come out super hot out of the gate and by the end of the season are just so so.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'd rather see us do the opposite of last year. Start cold and get hot as you get closer to the playoffs, rather than starting hot and getting colder near the playoffs.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I'd rather see us do the opposite of last year. Start cold and get hot as you get closer to the playoffs, rather than starting hot and getting colder near the playoffs.

Hey its Sunday and you should be working to save your xbox playing younger brother because...

8X7uPPd.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad