Prospect Info: Isaiah George, Left Defence, 98th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted in the fourth round of the 2020 OHL Priority Selection Draft, 68th Overall, Isaiah George missed the entire 2020-21 season as the OHL never started due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. George spent his season working with his trainer in his parent’s basement. “I had a great support system in terms of my family and my trainer. Basement workouts shooting pucks and working on my hands – doing whatever I could to keep improving,” George told Mike Stubbs of Global News.

Back on the ice this year, he has really blossomed with the London Knights. George scored six goals and 17 assists for 23 points in 67 regular-season games. While he didn’t get a lot of power-play time, George still played big minutes on the London blue line. Due to injuries, he often was forced to play against the other team’s best players. He played well in those situations, despite a lack of experience.

Reactions: Bronson

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
To me this is the kid from the draft that has the "buzz." Like all eyes are on him and he's going to make the NHL one day. Will be cool to follow his progress.
Definitely, for whatever reason I am more excited about him than Odelius.

With that said, from the little I’ve read he needs to make better decisions with the puck and make them more often.

Seems like a high character kid though, and he should see an increased role next season in London which won’t hurt. His skating alone is probably already NHL ready.

What’s nice about the trade is that with Romanov now in the fold, there’s no rush for him so I’d peg him at about 4-5 years out barring a meteoric development curve.

Honestly, based on NYI’s last 1st round draft pick, whoever they would have drafted at 13 would have probably taken a similar amount of time as George will likely take anyways so I think it’s all good from my end.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
“You like him, as a coach, because he plays the right way and doesn’t take too many high-risk plays. He’s finding out how to do it at both ends. There’s a good balance there. It’s not about who’s the most offensive or defensive, but who can combine both to become a really solid player. We had too many lefty (shots) last week and asked him to play the right side. He said sure and played well. It’s a hard adjustment when you haven’t done it that much. We’ve had most of our rookies sit out games this year, but he’s found ways to keep himself in the lineup. We knew he had the raw ability to play this way. He’s been coachable and found a good niche on our team.” -London Knights Assistant Coach Dylan Hunter, via the London Free Press

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I am happy to see the islanders drafted this kid and hope he succeeds. Seems like a good fella and has an interesting toolbox.

Reactions: xECK29x

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
My write on George:

Thanks Brock, love seeing your stuff and hope you’re still doing well.

This past season was George’s first in the OHL, is that correct? Do you think with time and coaching he will learn to ‘figure it out’ in regards to being more of a puck carrier and his decision making or is his IQ just not there?

Regardless, I think it was a good gamble from NYI because his skating alone will likely make him a pro in some aspect.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks Brock, love seeing your stuff and hope you’re still doing well.

This past season was George’s first in the OHL, is that correct? Do you think with time and coaching he will learn to ‘figure it out’ in regards to being more of a puck carrier and his decision making or is his IQ just not there?

Regardless, I think it was a good gamble from NYI because his skating alone will likely make him a pro in some aspect.

Honestly...I still don't know where I stand on that question. I've flip flopped on George all season long.

Here's the thing, as a U16 player in the GTHL, George struggled with his decision making. In his first OHL season, he struggled with his decision making at times. I will say that I believe it has improved from his GTHL days, but I do believe that is still slightly concerning. What concerns me most is that as he tries to make more complicated plays or take chances, that is when we see turnovers happen. When he keeps things simple and uses his feet, he's fantastic. As he tries to involve himself more, he can struggle, especially offensively. But, trust the London Knights and their coaches. These guys do wonders with defenders. Victor Mete was way worse as a problem solver and decision maker and they turned him into an NHL defender with similar physical/athletic tools.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Honestly...I still don't know where I stand on that question. I've flip flopped on George all season long.

Here's the thing, as a U16 player in the GTHL, George struggled with his decision making. In his first OHL season, he struggled with his decision making at times. I will say that I believe it has improved from his GTHL days, but I do believe that is still slightly concerning. What concerns me most is that as he tries to make more complicated plays or take chances, that is when we see turnovers happen. When he keeps things simple and uses his feet, he's fantastic. As he tries to involve himself more, he can struggle, especially offensively. But, trust the London Knights and their coaches. These guys do wonders with defenders. Victor Mete was way worse as a problem solver and decision maker and they turned him into an NHL defender with similar physical/athletic tools.
Understood, and appreciate the prompt reply. Makes sense, if clubs didn’t have concerns about his IQ/decision making he probably would have been off the board a lot earlier.

NYI has had a ‘strong’ system since the Lou/Trotz era and hope that continues, that would of course mask some decision making shortcomings.

Regardless, I’m pumped to follow George’s development next season. My understanding is that he wasn’t really utilitized on the PP last season at all, if that changes next year maybe that helps things ‘click’ in his brain to some degree.

I will never trash a draft pick who has an NHL skill which George does in his skating. It’s up to him and NYI to guide him the rest of the way.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Islanders draft pick Maggio told multiple teams that (Islanders draft pick) Isaiah George was the toughest player to play against this past season…

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think we really struck gold with this kid. He is an athletic freakazoid from the combine testing numbers and the kid is supposed to be a really high end skater. Having some cojones is a great thing... imagine a mean ass version of a Leddy-tyoe of skating defenseman. Damn.
Same, I am very high on him. Defensive beast with elite skating gives him a pretty high floor as a prospect. He also was a rookie in the OHL in his draft year and his team's top shutdown dman, so he may have more offense he can show when he is more experience and not forced to play a purely defensive role.

Reactions: PWJunior

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Same, I am very high on him. Defensive beast with elite skating gives him a pretty high floor as a prospect. He also was a rookie in the OHL in his draft year and his team's top shutdown dman, so he may have more offense he can show when he is more experience and not forced to play a purely defensive role.
What’s been most impressive about George for me are not his skills, but his attitude.

Getting into it with (arguably) NYI’s top prospect in a rookie camp because he’s treating practice like a game really speaks to his character. He wants to be a pro and is putting 110% forward with every experience he has. Seems motivated and shows high character…

The Islanders as an organization are at their best when they embrace the blue collar mentality that resonates with a lot of their fanbase. I doubt George is trying to intentionally embrace this, but he seems to be doing it naturally.

I hope his offense explodes similar to how Pelech’s did post draft while continuing to refine his defensive game. Lord knows the Islanders could use another good left shot D so they don’t have to sacrifice top 15 picks to fill the role (I love Romanov’s game but would obviously prefer to draft guys like him instead of paying a premium for them).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lord knows the Islanders could use another good left shot D so they don’t have to sacrifice top 15 picks to fill the role (I love Romanov’s game but would obviously prefer to draft guys like him instead of paying a premium for them).
I'm hoping a year or so from now we laugh at the fact that we gave up only a #13 pick for Romanov. ;)

[should have also mentioned that George was selected with the pick that we got in the Romanov trade - so we got Romanov and George for the #13 pick]

Last edited:
Reactions: JKP and Seph

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad