Will Zegras be the next Nylander?

• Total voters

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Remarkably similar career paths so far.

D+1 played outside the NHL

D+2 split the seasons between NHL and AHL

D+3+4 61pts + 61pts vs 61pts + 65pts

D+5 Had a rough season after having a contract dispute.

Will Zegras become what Nylander became?

Reactions: Play

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Finally someone made the thread, this has been the elephant in the room for a while now that Leafs fans weren’t admitting
Would make for an interesting revisionist history if Nylander would've got treated like Zegras is.

Edit: In regards to the bitter feelings about the RFA contract talks.

Reactions: Play

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Nylander really changed his style for D+6 onwards

He went from being allergic to the front of the net to being very good there. He scored 31 goals in the shortened season and really took off after the Canadian division. He added a powerful shot and a one timer threat to the silky hands, good playmaking and good puck protection

I’m not too familiar in zegras’s game, but he’s seemed a lot like pre-change nylander so he’s gonna have to change something in his style of play.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The key is for Zegras to continue to grow his game. That's the huge part of player development that sometimes gets overlooked. Over the years in the NHL you learn what works and what doesn't based on your skill set, your ability to adapt your game based on that experience is what leads to very good players becoming great players. Nylander did it, Zegras probably will as well.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Would make for an interesting revisionist history if Nylander would've got treated like Zegras is.

Edit: In regards to the bitter feelings about the RFA contract talks.

Was Zegras that much worse? (Honestly haven't seen info on it)

Didn't Nylander have a period of time where he sat out because of contract negotiation impasse? I would assume there were some bitter feelings at that time too.

Not only are the careers pretty similar so far as per your first post, but their draft position was really close too. Interesting comparison.

I honestly don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if it continues to be close over the next few seasons or it starts diverging from here.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad