Is windows update ever useful?

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
My pc was running perfectly until now. I have my main hard drive, an SSD used for ssd caching, and another hard drive to store extra files

Everything was nice and dandy

Now today I had the wonderful idea to do a windows update.

This sent my PC in a reboot loop and nothing seemed to work.

I used the windows 7 DVD, tried doing all the bootrec functions, but it all seemed hopeless since it didn't even detect that I had a windows installation at all.

I tried diskpart and I couldn't even see my partitions. It appeared as if my entire drive was completely corrupt.

Finally, the only way I was able to boot windows was to physically put my hard drive cables in different sata ports.

Now I can load windows, but I can't use the SSD anymore. At least everything else seems to be working.

But if I put my drives back in the ports where they were before, windows can't boot anymore.

Seriously, all this trouble just caused by a windows update? WTF?

I'm not sure specifically which update caused all this. KB3177467 "failed" to install, and a google search of "KB3177467" seems to indicate a lot of people had boot problems after installing it.

I installed KB2952664 and KB3192403 but I couldn't find much about those, other than some mentions of a "patchocalypse" kind of thing.

So, uhm, what's going on?

And should we avoid using windows update at all?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Does your BIOS recognize whatever drive you have plugged into that SATA port, whether it be the hard drive or the SSD? Does the BIOS see all the SATA devices? It may be related to the Windows update, but you might as well rule out a SATA port that just happened to fail at the same time.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Windows 10 update made my computer not be able to alt tab from video games, and changed my laptop password to a password that I didn't even know had anything to do with it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad