Is Tyler Seguin's development the key to our season?

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
I think it is. We're not going to be able to play and beat teams 2-1 like we did on the Cup run. And, I feel he can develop better at C. What do you think is the best line for him? I'm leaning towards a line of; Marchand - Seguin - Horton. I think playing him at RW with Bergeron takes away from his offense and Looch is too slow to keep up with him. I like the way Krejci and Lucic play together. Not the fastest line, but they are dominant on the puck. Lucic with his forecheck creates space for Krejci to operate. Hell, M. Satan looked good playing with those two a couple of years ago. I have the utmost respect for Patrice Bergeron's game and feel he can play with anyone. For now, Chris Kelly and Rich Peverly.

NORY

Jul 23, 2011
Oakville, Ont
i would agree that his success will determine our success, but i see no reason to take him of the wing or away from bergy. Bergy reliability lets seguin take the chances when they're there. plus he played mainly wing in the swiss league so im guessing that is where he is starting to feel more comfortable.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I think it is. We're not going to be able to play and beat teams 2-1 like we did on the Cup run.

Why not. This is still one of the best defensive teams in the league. Rask has proven he is a excellent goaltender.

I don't see Seguin as a centre. I'm basing my opinion off of last year - I haven't watched him play in Switzerland. He doesn't play a strong enough defensive game to play centre, especially #1 centre. And having Kelly and Bergeron play together reduces the effectiveness of one of those players. Both should be centering a line.

I like Seguin as a winger for now. His speed and shot make him a ideal player to play on the wing alongside Bergeron or Krejci. However, if there was one player I would move to the wing to accomodate Seguin as a centre it would be Krejci.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Not sure why the obsession with moving Seguin to C. He's performed great on the wing, not only here but overseas. We have tremendous depth down the middle, he can be plenty effective in the role he's in. I think his development and ability to take that step into an elite level player is crucial to the success of the team for sure, but I don't think it has anything to do with moving him to a new position.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
The key to the season is more or less Rask in my mind, he needs to stay healthy.
If he can do what he did a couple of years ago this team is golden, the Bruins have the depth to keep competitive and as long as Seguin does not have a down turn in points, which I don't think he will, this the B's will be A OK.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I feel Segs should be fine on the wing for now . I believe he just needs more minutes and those should be coming ASAP:yo:

Looch Krech Segs ... That will be the line with Segs going center sometimes IMO BTW Looch is faster then most give him credit for :nod: nd Segs might be the guy to keep there arses in gear ;)

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
the key? the most critical piece to putting together a team that can at least get an invite to a show?

No. I don't think the Bruins are built so fragile that the one key would be to depend on Seguin's growth.

He's young, we have a great core - to me, he's go a very different situation than others before him - he doesn't have the pressure to succeed right now. He's not our whole team.

He's a piece.

A flashy, amazingly talented piece that's going to amaze us for years.

But I think he could put up a ppg of .75 and the team will be fine.

I DO think we'll see a great season from him - but in no way are the B's dependent upon his production.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I feel Segs should be fine on the wing for now . I believe he just needs more minutes and those should be coming ASAP:yo:

Looch Krech Segs ... That will be the line with Segs going center sometimes IMO BTW Looch is faster then most give him credit for :nod: nd Segs might be the guy to keep there arses in gear ;)

This^

I liked Lucic playing opposite Seguin the short time they played together. Seguins speed almost forced Looch to keep up, he skated harder than ever..like a race horse.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This^

I liked Lucic playing opposite Seguin the short time they played together. Seguins speed almost forced Looch to keep up, he skated harder than ever..like a race horse.

Totally agree with this. I feel like it might be a good idea to swap Horton and Seguin for this reason and also because it would enable Horton to get back into the swing of things without him having to try and "keep up" with Lucic in the physical department by trying to play like one of the bash brothers.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I believe rask and Seguin are the keys, this of course assuming everyone else performs up to at minimum, what is expected of them (Chara ~ 50 points w/good plus minus, krejci 65 points etc)

Whether or not we go deep will rest in how well rask does, and if Seguin can break out and be a real difference maker

Rask I have less faith in than Seguin however, and nothing against him, I just don't know

Thankfully we have (in my opinion) a back up who ought to play above expectations

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
There's no need to make him a center when we have two very viable ones in Krejci and Bergeron for our top 6.

Making him center makes him have a boatload of new responsibility. He's still learning the ropes defensively, he'd have to carry his line without Bergy and Marchand. He might (and I say this because maybe he would excel, we don't know) try too hard defensively, fail, and then not be able to focus on his terrific offensive game as well... That's a real confidence booster for a 20 year old kid. For now, Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin has been perfect. Let him develop there. If he never plays center, so what? If Krejci or Bergeron gets injured, give him a shot but until then don't risk ****ing up everything he's learned in the past two years.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
It's definitely key long term. As far as this year, I don't see why you would want to split up the, arguably, most productive line on the team. If Bergy or Krejci get injured, then yes put him in center and see how it goes.

As for now, he's fine where he is.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The key to the season is more or less Rask in my mind, he needs to stay healthy.
If he can do what he did a couple of years ago this team is golden, the Bruins have the depth to keep competitive and as long as Seguin does not have a down turn in points, which I don't think he will, this the B's will be A OK.

I think it comes down to the goalie as well. Thomas covered up a lot of their deficiencies during the cup run.

spokedBisgoodforme

Jan 7, 2013
good ol' wormtown MA
Can't say he is THE key, but a very important piece. I think tuukka is the biggest question mark and how that whole situation pans out. The more I think about it though, the whole Quaider injury has me thinking that it might be a little rough on the bottom pairing, but we'll see i guess!

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't know man, he is still one of the rawest third year players in the league. He's going to have to block more shots to get some PP time.

The potential is there though, dude. The reviews coming out of the Swiss league this season have been exceedingly positive, with many followers saying that Seguin was as dominant of a talent as there was during the lockout. Wider ice surface besides, that is one hell of an endorsement.

You're right that there is still a lot for him to learn, but if he can make his line a legit nightly threat, our bottom nine is going to have a much easier time finding space. He could be the cure for an anemic offense.

That said, our tipping point stands between the pipes. Even when the Bruins suffered at times on offense, Thomas was strong enough most nights to keep the team in the game. That's Tuukka's responsibility now. He has the talent (for sure)... Now we need him to employ it consistently on a nightly basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad