Speculation: Is TOR easy to play against?

Is TOR easy to play against?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
This doesn’t make sense.

Hyman is a bit of a jerk
Kadri is a real jerk
Komarov is a real jerk
Carrick when he wants to be is a jerk
Martin is a jerk
Polak is a dumb jerk
Zaitsev is tough to play against.

Quiet frankly, two of our “two guys go play against” in Polak and Komarov, are hurting us.

Actually it makes every sense. Komarov is no longer physical at all. Kadri is on and off
Hyman is so soft.

Every hockey player is a bit of a jerk or can be. Some teams are just more tougher and jerkier

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
The NYI's were the toughest team to play hockey against with the 4th(really 2nd 3rd line they had) Teams rarely played their 4 th lines against them due to being outmatched and would take bad penalties vs a disciplined Martin/Clut/Zeek. Anyone listening to games could here defensive partners warning each other "Martin Martin" on board microphones. The other two mates were also more effective because they had big brother with the(Players play bigger with Martin on their lines).
Here in Leaf land coaching thinks he is going to send puck hounds with ZERO checking ability to force d-men to make turnovers...SORRY no one is on alert on opposing teams for the Hymans/Browns of the world...They work hard and deserve credit for their stick work in the corners and all but bottom line they have ZERO in the way of FRIGHT FACTOR....Martin is known for obliterating/destroying d-core' at will....Led the league 5 years straight doing so and in a clean manner.
He comes to Leaf land and has a pacifist for a coach that has never played physical hockey EVER.

Its is not by accident when players are sent to play on the 4th line they get their game back and the line does well offensively. Marner/Bozak/Nylander all got their swagger back with Martin. Mathews/Marner/Martin line vs MTL was a force...

Enough said...Grapes hit the nail on the head ..but he understands the NHL Game....Grapes in no Euro coach trying to reinvent the game flip-flopping between a pacifist game to a dump and chase game without sending in the big hitters, where men are men in the corners facing the biggest of hitters in the league.
A steady 10-12 min of Martin a night will be just what the doctor ordered for the struggling Leafs, instead of having him keeping a 4th line defensively sound while the promising AHL"ers get their wings as they move back and forth to the Marlies/Leafs.
There is the making of a good team here..but use your team.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yes. The defense is soft. Even Polak, who, while stong physically, has such a lack of skill and skating that makes him easy to play against. Leafs defense are one of the only teams where the dump and chase game actually works against them due to their poor puck management.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
With way they EASILY give up goals, they're obviously EASY to play against!

Every lead they have are always EASILY surrendered!

Last edited:

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
I have to agree that we are easy to play against, but not due to the lack of physical play in the offensive zone, we are far too soft in the D zone. Teams that play dump and chase against us will usually have a very good chance at sustained pressure, and by the time we gain possession, we are dumping it into the neutral zone and changing lines. The stupid 100' stretch pass that usually results in turnovers is another reason for being on our heels most games.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Is it just me or is Fehr a really underrated player. When he was playing earlier, the team was flying and actually doing well. If it weren't for Andersen, Leafs was truly dominant.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ah the good old pugnacity testosterone and truculence problem.
That's not the end all of hard to play against.
Always in position, forcing turnovers, taking away time and space, fast on the fore-check, keeping the opposition hemmed in their zone (the way the Bozak line gets hemmed in), winning puck battles, these are the hard to play against traits. You need skill but dedication and hard work also. It's not 12 Colton Orr's.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Is it just me or is Fehr a really underrated player. When he was playing earlier, the team was flying and actually doing well. If it weren't for Andersen, Leafs was truly dominant.

I don't get to watch Marlies games but never hear anything about him..... quick google search revealed

Eric Fehr is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre currently playing for the San Diego Gulls in the American Hockey League on loan from the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Yes, the team is generally young and still prone to making mistakes. D core is a work in progress. Leafs live and die by their speed and skill and although Babcock is trying to change that it isn't coming along as well as most of us hoped. Might be for the better as you can't play run and gun in tight checking playoff games and expect to get very far. Just IMO of course.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He was a better all situations C that had a big mouth he couldn't keep shut. Got sent packing because of it. Moore sucked. Goat is probably on level with Fehr.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Besides Matt Martin, the Leafs have another 'intimidation' factor... JVR and company. You don't want to be taking penalties against the Leafs.
With the least amount of power-play time, they're 18th in the league for PP goals.

I wonder if Gauthier is being used over other options just to bring some size to the team?

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Most won't admit it, but this team really could use Dion Phaneuf. He was truly the only guy who made the opposition pay the price. He is built for playoff hockey.. Which is exactly why he is a target for teams heading into the deadline. He is one of the toughest players to play against in the league.

Kadri and Polak are pretty tough to play against. Martin aswell in a limited role, but no one brings it consistently like Dion. Komarov is a total fraud.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
You don't necessarily need physical players to be "tough" to play against since the Pens and Tampa have shown that not to be true. What the leafs need is more competitive players and less lazy ones.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
They are easy to play against, but not because they're not physical. They're not playing a run and gun style, which the team is suited for.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Yes because they dont score and give up alot of shots.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Yeah they're soft. In every way possible.
Very few hitters who hit hard or to hurt. The guys who do play limited minutes. Vast majority of the team hit as a formality but put nothing into it. All that said to be hitting means you don't have the puck .

Where the leafs should be dangerous is skating teams down and being quick on the transition. There seems to be a bit of a disconnect right now with regards to transition and trying to stay safely in position. I'm hoping that improves.

The concerning thing to me the most is how few players play through bodies or checks to go where they need to go. A few exception are Mathews, Hyman and Marleau at times ,and the 4th line in limited roles, but so many of the leafs take the easy route around or long route. This was the reason Washington figured them out and played them to the outside last year .

As much as i like physical hockey i don't see this team having that as an identity and frankly don't necessarily need to but they do need to fight hard to be in position the other team doesn't want to give them.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Easy to play against because the team's speed and skill have not been on display lately. There is at least one black hole on each line, and one of the D plays a prominent role when he should not be in the NHL. It's not about physicality. I would be more afraid of speed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

They were flying before the re-education system the coaching staff is implementing demoralized and broke the spirit of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad