Speculation: Is Tim Berni signed?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
oh boy this is my time to shine, here's a rundown on tim berni for anyone who's like "hey, who is that fella, what's his deal"

basically, he's an AHL defenseman. or he should be an AHL defenseman.

last year the jackets had a million injuries on defense, and it led to him surprisingly getting called up. as a former sixth round pick from way back in 2018, no one really expected much from him. they didn't necessarily get much from him, but he played a lot of minutes on a bad defense and rarely, if ever, looked worse than the other guys. kinda looked like a passable #6 or #7.

that was also a contract year, so you'd think he earned himself a little raise on a two-way deal, right? well, about that:

1. guys got healthy in the NHL
2. they added provorov and severson
3. svozil and ceulemans joined the AHL squad
4. other AHL guys (knazko, christiansen) had good seasons
5. the other random call-up who overperformed (marcus bjork) has one more year left on his deal

this all created a situation where there is no #7D spot for berni to compete for, which is fine, except… well, there probably isn't an AHL lineup spot for him, either, since they have higher-touted guys there who need to play.

so he and his agent maybe requested a trade + refused to sign his QO this summer. but he's tim berni and no one knows who he is or needs their own tim berni, so that didn't go anywhere.

…which led to him coming to camp without a contract anyway.

if he doesn't get one (or a trade) he'll probably become yet another guy in the long line of Blue Jackets Guys Who Abruptly Went Back To Europe (it is a surprisingly long list)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
That's what happenes when teams have too many injuries and borderline AHL/NHL guys with no upside whatsoever have to play a regular shift. The following season they think they deserve more than what they actually are. He will probably end up back in Europe

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
oh boy this is my time to shine, here's a rundown on tim berni for anyone who's like "hey, who is that fella, what's his deal"

basically, he's an AHL defenseman. or he should be an AHL defenseman.

last year the jackets had a million injuries on defense, and it led to him surprisingly getting called up. as a former sixth round pick from way back in 2018, no one really expected much from him. they didn't necessarily get much from him, but he played a lot of minutes on a bad defense and rarely, if ever, looked worse than the other guys. kinda looked like a passable #6 or #7.

that was also a contract year, so you'd think he earned himself a little raise on a two-way deal, right? well, about that:

1. guys got healthy in the NHL
2. they added provorov and severson
3. svozil and ceulemans joined the AHL squad
4. other AHL guys (knazko, christiansen) had good seasons
5. the other random call-up who overperformed (marcus bjork) has one more year left on his deal

this all created a situation where there is no #7D spot for berni to compete for, which is fine, except… well, there probably isn't an AHL lineup spot for him, either, since they have higher-touted guys there who need to play.

so he and his agent maybe requested a trade + refused to sign his QO this summer. but he's tim berni and no one knows who he is or needs their own tim berni, so that didn't go anywhere.

…which led to him coming to camp without a contract anyway.

if he doesn't get one (or a trade) he'll probably become yet another guy in the long line of Blue Jackets Guys Who Abruptly Went Back To Europe (it is a surprisingly long list)
10/10 would read again

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The rare instance of a player only playing 2 years of a 3 year contract. At least he got his bonus money… I assume he was loaned back to the Swiss team due to Covid, after signing his ELC?

He made a mistake not accepting his QO. It’s as simple as that.

I get it, players have loads of confidence in themselves, and he played better than most expected (in the NHL last year) but his agent gave him some bad advice here. You can only think they were banking on Columbus not making any moves this summer, and thinking there was a good chance he’d get a one-way deal.

Now he’s a player without a spot really. The Jackets hold all the cards.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Berni is a capable replacement level guy. Can be a good 7/8/9. He's very good at skating pucks out of trouble.

The Jackets just don't need him and don't appear to have space for him at the NHL or AHL level so he's trying to get traded before his career gets buried.

I get it, players have loads of confidence in themselves, and he played better than most expected (in the NHL last year) but his agent gave him some bad advice here. You can only think they were banking on Columbus not making any moves this summer, and thinking there was a good chance he’d get a one-way deal.

Now he’s a player without a spot really. The Jackets hold all the cards.

The Jackets made the moves first and brought in those D in June. Berni is reacting to that by trying to get moved to a club where he has a chance of playing. It makes sense to me, if he signs his QO then he gets stuck in a limited role in Cleveland (because of the prospects). He's trying to get traded and if that doesn't work he'd probably prefer to play in Switzerland over the AHL anyways. I'm guessing he'll be in Switzerland by next week.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Tim Berni will probably sign with ZSC or SC Rapperswil-Jona.

Probably better to play at home instead of sitting in an AHL pressbox as there’s no room in Cleveland either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad