WC: Is this years Team Canada the best team that has ever played in World Championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Last time this happened it really was the Soviet Union which was in some years the best team on earth, but I didn't believe that we would ever see such domination in the WHC again. This year's Canada has been incredible. Let's hope it's a fluke...
It's probably a fluke. There's very little chance we'll get the same number of caliber players any time soon.

Last edited:

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
The problem was when we used to bring a bunch of grinders for a sudden death tournament.

That's a very good point. The Canadian hockey federation used to like to build their national team like an NHL team. Complete with an energy line. But they've learned from their mistakes and they don't do that anymore.

This year's team was ridiculous and it wasn't just because it was a collection of stars, they also played the best team game of all teams. Crosby to Giroux action was just so much fun to watch.

A well deserved gold medal and a great performance by team Canada. Right now the best in the world for sure. Let's hope this changes soon :)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Havent seen Canada ice a better team in a long time.
Canada's 2014 Olympic team was as dominant, but in a different way. Defensively, the 2014 Olympic team was better and their puck possession was also better. The thing missing was the finishing touch even if all the players are known to be good goal scorers. What makes this 2015 team so much more impressive is its speed. That made all the difference in people's perception, but I felt quite safe with the 2014 Olympic team.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Those Red Army teams played together all year. Pretty tough to compare this team to them. This team was fun to watch though. I enjoyed this tournament much more than the Olympic tourney due to all the offense.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
The olympic team was perharps the greatest team to be ever assembled.

But this one is great too.

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012
The Canadian Olympic team was FAR better than this group.

Well, he didn't say anything like that. He just thinks this team would win the Olympics. No matter if this team is any worse than the actual Olympic team, they could still win the Olympics tho.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well, he didn't say anything like that. He just thinks this team would win the Olympics. No matter if this team is any worse than the actual Olympic team, they could still win the Olympics tho.

Sure. Slovakia "could" win too, so could Denmark, etc. But it doesn't mean it's reasonable to think they might. They'd get stomped by the Canadian Olympic team. They'd lose to Russia, Sweden, and possibly Czech and Finland. They'd be a competitor, but I'd bet against them winning, if they replaced our Canadian Olympic team.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
That's a very good point. The Canadian hockey federation used to like to build their national team like an NHL team. Complete with an energy line. But they've learned from their mistakes and they don't do that anymore.

This year's team was ridiculous and it wasn't just because it was a collection of stars, they also played the best team game of all teams. Crosby to Giroux action was just so much fun to watch.

A well deserved gold medal and a great performance by team Canada. Right now the best in the world for sure. Let's hope this changes soon :)

Canada will remain best in the World until the next Best on Best tournament (2018 Olympics). The 2016 World Cup with the European All-Star team and North American All-Star team is a joke. Even if Canada does not repeat next year in the WHC, that should not disqualify Canada from being considered the top country in hockey. Best on Best is what counts-Canada has won 4 of the last 5 Best on Best tournaments (2014 Olympics, 2010 Olympics, 2004 World Cup and 2002 Olympics).

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Weak OP, should have listed rosters of other gold-winning teams. But essentially yes, this is the highest firepower team we have sent to the WC. Our average D and goaltending wasn't an issue whatsoever due to offensive dominance.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

The spectacular fail in 2006 changed that. I do think that Canada's coaching is excellent. Babcock and Maclellan are both able to take talented players and really make them buy in. That said, Canada will likely not have as strong a roster in future whc's. This year was a bit of a fluke in that we hard arguably our two best forwards, each centering a line and a collection of younger skilled players who are very fast and coming into their own. They did not expect Sid to call them and ask to play. Crosby and Giroux really changed the identity of this team.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Sochi?

Imagine this team + Keith, Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty, etc.

I think he means for the WHC.

Sochi was a better team, though. Although having Crosby makes a big difference and you have to cancel him out.

FanHabtic*

I think he means for the WHC.

Sochi was a better team, though. Although having Crosby makes a big difference and you have to cancel him out.

Sochi was a far better team IMO. Defense and goaltending made that team unbeatable.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
In terms of sheer offensive firepower, this team was better than any Canadian olympic team since at least 2010 imo. You could argue that guys like Giroux and Seguin should have been on that last olympic team and weren't due to politics.

Tavares was Canada's 4th line centre in Sochi, so I'm not quite sure how you came to that conclusion

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
Best since 2005, at least, perhaps best of the modern era.

Obviously one of the Soviet teams of the early 80s would be the best WC team ever - this was back when the USSR could even beat Canada's A team.

So I guess it's between this one and the lockout-year Czech Republic team. They lost a game that year, but they had much tougher competition with everyone bringing their top players. They still managed an excellent goal differential (25 GF, 9 GA). Vokoun in net (who I'd actually take over Smith), their entire defence (except for Hejda, the 8th defenceman) was top-4 NHL defencemen, and a pretty deep forward group - Jagr was the only superstar, but they also had a bunch of second-tier stars like Hemsky, Prospal, and Straka.

Crosby+Giroux+Seguin still looks too good for me not to take 2015 Canada at least on paper, but if you throw the 2005 Czech team vs. 2015 Canada on the ice for a game, it could easily go either way.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Best since 2005, at least, perhaps best of the modern era.

Obviously one of the Soviet teams of the early 80s would be the best WC team ever - this was back when the USSR could even beat Canada's A team.

So I guess it's between this one and the lockout-year Czech Republic team. They lost a game that year, but they had much tougher competition with everyone bringing their top players. They still managed an excellent goal differential (25 GF, 9 GA). Vokoun in net (who I'd actually take over Smith), their entire defence (except for Hejda, the 8th defenceman) was top-4 NHL defencemen, and a pretty deep forward group - Jagr was the only superstar, but they also had a bunch of second-tier stars like Hemsky, Prospal, and Straka.

Crosby+Giroux+Seguin still looks too good for me not to take 2015 Canada at least on paper, but if you throw the 2005 Czech team vs. 2015 Canada on the ice for a game, it could easily go either way.

The Czechs used to play a stifling trap, and Jagr was 10 years younger. Very tough team.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Canada's 2014 Olympic team was as dominant, but in a different way. Defensively, the 2014 Olympic team was better and their puck possession was also better. The thing missing was the finishing touch even if all the players are known to be good goal scorers. What makes this 2015 team so much more impressive is its speed. That made all the difference in people's perception, but I felt quite safe with the 2014 Olympic team.

For whatever reason the Sochi team was also snake bitten in the goals scoring department. Very low shooting percentage.

This was the most dominate Team Canada at the whc in the modern era. Maybe the most dominant of all teams since the Red Army days.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Team Canada = US Men's Basketball Team. You cannot beat them. No one is even close.

Only way you beat them is if they beat themselves.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Curious what did they bring in the lockout year? That is actually probably the best team they have iced for this particular tournament, but I don't remember it as well. I doubt they matched this one in terms of production but just saying from a talent standpoint that is probably the one that needs to be looked up.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Curious what did they bring in the lockout year? That is actually probably the best team they have iced for this particular tournament, but I don't remember it as well. I doubt they matched this one in terms of production but just saying from a talent standpoint that is probably the one that needs to be looked up.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/World-Championship/2005/CAN-Roster lockout year roster. They finished 2nd and the roster is solid but not overly impressive imo.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Felt like pretty average competition this year - quite the mismatch. however I feel like if Canada continues to leverage their current team building and coaching philosophies, they will continue to have similar success even if they have less than ideal player availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad