WC: Is this years Team Canada the best team that has ever played in World Championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
2005 was the best Team Canada on paper at this event, followed by 2008.

But in terms of performance, this year's squad beats all others by a mile.

1994 Team Canada had loaded roster, though they weren't quite as dominant (the final against Finland went to OT and the ref missed a clear trip on Kurri before their tying goal).

Some people like to bring up the 2012 Russia roster but they didn't face nearly as tough teams back then as Canada now. Russia was basically the only team with all their stars.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
And France is yet again about the only team that gave them trouble:scared:

That 05 Canada roster and result was a huge foreshadow of the Sharks for the next few years :/

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Yeah, I think Sweden will have a pretty good team at World Cup. Can't wait.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Well it wasn't full of NHL players until 1976 so before that I wouldn't even care about. The Canada goals for-against this tourney is 66-15 right now.

Every team except Canada & USA had their very best players back then, I'd say the Soviet teams back then were the most dominant to ever play in this tournament.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Every team except Canada & USA had their very best players back then, I'd say the Soviet teams back then were the most dominant to ever play in this tournament.

Every team (except Canada & USA, of course) had their best until 1973 or 1974. After that, many of the best Swedes and Finns started to leave for the WHA or the NHL. So it was basically USSR and Czechoslovakia (i.e. the two best nations outside Canada), who had their best players after that.

But I'd seriously question, whether the World Championships suddenly got a lot better in 1977, quality-wise, when the so called professionals (i.e. not just Soviet and Czechoslovak professionals :)) were allowed to play and Canada rejoined.
Canada did not always even get a medal (e.g. 1977, 1979, 1981, etc), despite having some big stars on their teams. USA did not have too many great players back then anyway, and always did poorly in the WHC. The top Finns (Kurri et al) and Swedes rarely got to play in the World Championships due to their NHL careers.

So it could be said that in the 1980s, only USSR (and some very weak teams, who did not even have NHL calibre players) had their best playing in the World Championships, since Czechoslovakia started to lose some of their top players too (defections). In the 1960s and early 1970s, USSR, Czechoslovakia, Sweden and Finland at least still had all their best and the teams were more cohesive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad