Speculation: Is this the best Bruins team of your lifetime?

Is this the best Bruins team of your lifetime?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Yes - IF they win the Cup

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I need to think about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Even if they win the Cup

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Have to agree. But - taking into account the different game being played today versus then - it's pretty damn close for me.

I will say that I think this team is more balanced that any I've seen before and that is largely because there is no overtly supremely dominant player that can change any game on a dime (I love you Pasta but Bobby is Bobby).

Switching Bobby Orr with Charlie McAvoy (salary cap be damned) would make this 2022/23 team a rival of some of the old Habs teams.

1970's team without Bobby Orr would be a totally different animal. This team without Charlie Mac would be lesser but could still certainly make a lot of noise.

I'm sure he's a good guy, but 50+ years later? f*** Ken Dryden. Seriously. f*** Ken Dryden.
I think you are forgetting how deep those Bruins teams were. But we can play the if game all day - I'd rather not, but - if no Orr, they likely draft Park. And those Bruins teams would still have had the same success.

Reactions: Number8

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If they win it all, yes. Otherwise it will have been for nothing.
Not for nothing.
This team has given us the best winter of high end enjoyable hockey we've gotten to see in a long time. They've done it with class (one black mark aside) and teamwork and been so great to cheer for them and proud to be a fan this year.
If they fall short somehow it'll be the biggest 'what could have been' season since '71
But my respect for what this team has already this year - and how they've accomplished it - won't fade.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I think they have to win. The 115 win Seattle Mariners are still remembered, but with a large asterisk because they hit the playoffs with a dull thud.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think you are forgetting how deep those Bruins teams were. But we can play the if game all day - I'd rather not, but - if no Orr, they likely draft Park. And those Bruins teams would still have had the same success.

One could argue those early 70's Bruins teams were the best simply because they had Orr.

He was that good.

1966 draft, Bruins drafted Barry Gibbs first instead of Park. Gibbs was also a defenseman so they probably wouldn't have taken Park anyway.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
You're right, they were ridiculously deep. And, as @Fenway says, without the WHA who knows what could have been.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
One could argue those early 70's Bruins teams were the best simply because they had Orr.

He was that good.

1966 draft, Bruins drafted Barry Gibbs first instead of Park. Gibbs was also a defenseman so they probably wouldn't have taken Park anyway.
Forgot Barry Gibbs...... yikes.

With respect, the Bruins were in desperate need for a talented skiffle singer with the range to hit the high falsetto. Very underrated talent for a defender. Can be startling and rather off-putting for a forward trying to snipe a goal.:laugh:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Without the raz and dazzle of the 70's teams yes

He was that good.

Park was no Bobby Orr, great player yes

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wasn`t old enough, didn`t have enough channels to watch the B`s from the 70`s. This is most definitely the deepest B`s team I have seen. 2011/12 had 4 lines that could hurt you but this team has four lines, then in case of injury, other players who could step in and not miss a beat.

For my money, this is the best team I`ve had the pleasure to watch

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I can't say best in my lifetime because I've only been a Bruins fan for about 1/5 of my life so I have no way (or perhaps don't want to take the time) to compare.

But are they my favorite? Absolutely.

Why? Because regardless of the playoff outcome they have given me a lot of joy this season when I've had a lot of crap going on in my personal life.

Sports is entertainment ultimately. I've been entertained.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Yes ,because what this team just did has never been done.They win the Cup every year.I mean anyone can get hot 16 games + but 63 wins is just mind boggling

Last edited:

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
If they break the points record and win the cup, I just can't see how any other team could be better. Not just the Bruins, any team at all. The 70s teams played slightly less games, but there was no salary cap and to me, that makes these records that much harder to break. They were before my time albeit barely, but I just can't see how statistically lesser teams can arguably be better overall.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

aguineapig

Bobby Orr and The Big Bad Bruins will remain the greatest team for me because they are the memories of youth and of course being able to witness the greatest player of all time. I want this team to win it all so not only can I claim witness to capping off the best season of all time with the ultimate prize, but so the younger members here can look back and have those same memories from this team that have remained in my mind from all those years ago. Here we go Bruins, Here we go!

Reactions: Orr Fourever

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I have to reserve judgement until we see how far the Bruins make it.

At present, the 2011 team stands alone for me because I never thought I’d ever see them win the Cup. It didn’t sink in until Game 7 was over, and even then I felt like I was going to wake up the next morning and it was going to be a dream.

2023 has the tools to do it. I think we’re all nervous because we’ve been kicked in the face so many times. You don’t have to be a Bruins fan for very long to know what I’m talking about. I desperately want to believe this team this year is the dominant fire wagon they seem to be.

Please…

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Up until this year, I think the 2013-2014 Boston Bruins was the best team that was assembled during my lifetime (1983 onward). While that team flamed out losing to Montreal in the 2nd round. They had everything from skill to grit. I can't remember a series like that Montreal one where they seemed to miss every open net and hit 3+ posts per game.

Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Eriksson-Soderberg-Caron
Campbell-Thornton-Paille

Chara-Boychuk
Hamilton-Miller
Krug-Mezaros
Bartkowski

Rask
Johnson

That team was one of the few that didn't have a glaring hole on the 2nd line. It was a treat to watch, but always felt like the system stifled offensive creativity amongst that bunch and under a different coach I think that team would have likely won the cup. The CJ system had a bad habit of playing down to opponents instead of just outright stripping them of their dignity like this years team has on several occasions. While I believe the 2011 cup was in great part due to the systemic hockey that was played, I believe that CJ system cost us the cup in 2014.

Marchand-Bergeron-Debrusk
Zacha-Krecji-Pastrnak
Hall-Coyle-Bertuzzi
Foligno-Nosek-Hathaway

McAvoy-Gryz
Lindholm-Carlo
Orlov-Clifton
Forbert

Ullmark
Swayman

In a 7 game series, I think this years team takes the 2013-2014 team to the woodshed 9 times out of 10. The lack of drop in talent levels with this team is what really gets me. No offense to Caron, or the Merlot line that I will love until the day I die. I'm not sure a single one of those 4 would see ice time on this club. This current team is not only talented, but just so deep. Trent Frederic is a 30 point forward that hits and plays Bruins hockey. Yet, I'm not convinced he is starting the the playoffs right now. This has just been absolutely special as a fan to witness.

Reactions: Trizz617

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yes, probably, but I said maybe because it's the age-old sports debate like Eddie Murphy in the barbershop in Coming to America. It's the best I remember watching, though. I was alive for the two cups and the should have been a cup season in the early 70s, but was far too young to appreciate those teams. And nothing wrong with seeing how it all ends up for passing much judgement. As a fan that really started caring and watching the NHL in the late 70s, I don't think there is any question for me that this is the best team I've seen from the Bruins.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Older fans are obviously going to feel differently about this than younger fans. Younger fans are going to be comparing this team to the 2011 team, while older fans are going to be comparing it to the 1970s teams. Two different reference points. Really hard to compare teams of different eras.

Yes, league parity is greater now than in the past thanks to the cap. Thing is, there were far fewer teams in the league in the early 70s. The talent wasn't as diluted. The Bs won their two Cups in the 70s just before the WHA was formed, so you can't say the NHL was weaker when the Bs won their Cups.

This is the greatest regular season in my lifetime, but even if the Bs win the Cup this season I'm still not convinced that it is a better team than those teams of the 70s. Orr, Sanderson, Cheevers, Espo, Bucyk, Stanfield, Hodge, Cashman, Westfal, McKenzie, Bailey, Smith, etc. Crap sake those early 70s Bs teams were loaded.

I voted "maybe" because I need to see how this group handles the playoffs. Even if they win the Cup I will still be at "maybe." I'll let people smarter than me try to compare a stacked NHL team in the early 70s with a stacked team in 2023.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Here’s why I believe we win the cup. Ullmark lost 6 games in 48 this year. He won’t loose 4 in 7. No way. I have so much faith in this team. This team hasn’t had an important game in months yet win almost all the time. I can’t Waite until Monday. This team is on a mission to win and win they will.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Without the cup, the regular season record(s) is not sealed. Like sand through the fingers.

However I feel confident about this team.

Long time since another team won that many 1 goal/close games.

From my recollection, last team that did that (their comfort zone) was that 90s Devils team.

Reactions: rfournier103

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I can't say best in my lifetime because I've only been a Bruins fan for about 1/5 of my life so I have no way (or perhaps don't want to take the time) to compare.

But are they my favorite? Absolutely.

Why? Because regardless of the playoff outcome they have given me a lot of joy this season when I've had a lot of crap going on in my personal life.

Sports is entertainment ultimately. I've been entertained.

What happened there? You needed better mentors or family influence! Hmm I guess you could also be 100.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This Bruins team is unreal & I voted yes earlier the wins are just staggering..The 2011 team won it all and 72 team was unreal but that 1979 team sticks with me like a rotten cold.I can't shake it they should have won .Not sure why I hold onto that loss but it still bothers me so I guess that was my fav Bruins team.

Win the Cup and they are the greatest hockey team of all time.

So bizarre, actually.
Greatest NHL hockey team

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
This Bruins team is unreal .The 2011 team won it all and 72 team was unreal but that 1979 team sticks with me like a rotten cold.I can't shake it they should have won .Not sure why I hold onto that loss but it still bothers me so I guess that was my fav Bruins team.

Greatest NHL hockey team

This Bruins team is unreal & I voted yes earlier the wins are just staggering..The 2011 team won it all and 72 team was unreal but that 1979 team sticks with me like a rotten cold.I can't shake it they should have won .Not sure why I hold onto that loss but it still bothers me so I guess that was my fav Bruins team.

Greatest NHL hockey team
I'm a bit younger but the 2004 game 7 loss to the seats has a brainstain for me.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad