Is this gonna be the year?

CamWake

Jan 8, 2014
Wuppertal, Germany
Hey guys, is this gonna be the year we will see a huge decrease in fighting in the NHL? Numbers are way down so far and yesterday, on Saturday Night with 12 games on, we didn't have a single fight. It's really astonishing how things changed in a single year, as fighting was still a substantial part of Hockey last season.

However, a lot of 'meat'n'potatoes' guys were phased out during the offseason and are now in the AHL, while those that remain see only limited minutes.

The question is: Does a significant decrease in fighting changes the way you watch Hockey or how much you enjoy the sport? I'm still wrapping my head around this question, as fighting and violence was always part of the allure the NHL brought with it. I enjoy a good fight and some rough and tumble moments in games as much as the rest the sport has to offer.

What do you think?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
this new era of hockey involves speed and skill, not size and physicality. its why guys like gaudreau, debrincat, marner, etc are in the nhl over guys like orr, mclaren, scott etc

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I certainly hope so, getting rid of fighting in hockey is long overdue already and just looks like an anachronism today.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The game is more fun with fighting. Brings an element of emotion and camaraderie between the players and fans. While this era is more talented with the 'goons' getting phased out, it is also much more dry.

Reactions: McDonald19

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I certainly hope so, getting rid of fighting in hockey is long overdue already and just looks like an anachronism today.
Yeah man, change something that's been in the game forever. Hitting will soon follow, then we will switch to sponge pucks and play with bubble wrap on. Scrap all intensity, screw it, no more rivalries either. That would be fun!

Reactions: Hagstrom

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The game is more fun with fighting. Brings an element of emotion and camaraderie between the players and fans. While this era is more talented with the 'goons' getting phased out, it is also much more dry.
Absolutely. I'm fine (although it took me time to accept that guys like Orr, McLaren, McGrattan, Peluso etc were on their way out) - Always enjoyed a good Toronto/Ottawa game when those guys along with Carkner and Neil on the other side was in the lineup. Heaven forbid a rivalry had some nastiness in it, right?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Absolutely. I'm fine (although it took me time to accept that guys like Orr, McLaren, McGrattan, Peluso etc were on their way out) - Always enjoyed a good Toronto/Ottawa game when those guys along with Carkner and Neil on the other side was in the lineup. Heaven forbid a rivalry had some nastiness in it, right?
The nastiness not only breeds dislike of the teams between fans, but also the players. I love watching games between teams who genuinely dislike one another.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Hey guys, is this gonna be the year we will see a huge decrease in fighting in the NHL? Numbers are way down so far and yesterday, on Saturday Night with 12 games on, we didn't have a single fight. It's really astonishing how things changed in a single year, as fighting was still a substantial part of Hockey last season.

4 fights in 8 games today. I don't think fighting is going away anytime soon.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
More fighting please. I miss old hockey not everyone play in the same system and wait for a scoring chance hockey. I dislike soccer. Don't make hockey soccer where skilled athletes do the same thing over and over and hope no one flops on purpose giving an advantage to a potential 1-0 game.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Fighting clearly has to go.

The fans get visibly upset when a fight occurs, and stand up and cheer to try and get the combatants to stop.

This must change.............

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad