Is there a third Staal brother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safir*

I think that Jordan Staal's playoff numbers could be an indicator of his coming regular seaon. In 14 games he had 5 goals and 10 points. Not bad, not bad.

BTW, the name Staal is kinda neat. Staal is Danish for steel.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
That was probably a bit of misprint. Other than that article, I've heard that little one-liner usually referred to Jordan.

I have seen all the Staals play, including Jared. At the age of 14-15, Jared is by far the weakest player of the 4. Of the other three, at the age of 16-17 Jordan is the one that has wowed me the most. I expect him to be the #1 player drafted out of the OHL in 2006.

MacDaddy TLC*

thief50 said:
going that way, make them play with Jeff Heerema
who is their cousin.

Yep, there is a lot of Staal hype in Thunder Bay. Most of it is deserved. The young guy has questionable discipline. He got a stupid misconduct in the Provincial championships for coming out without his mouthguard in and cost the team in their final game.

All the kids are pretty solid citizens, unlike those dirty Pyatts.

And yes Henry Staal was a heck of a good, hardworking player for Lakehead University.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Juan said:
I have seen all the Staals play, including Jared. At the age of 14-15, Jared is by far the weakest player of the 4. Of the other three, at the age of 16-17 Jordan is the one that has wowed me the most. I expect him to be the #1 player drafted out of the OHL in 2006.
Brian (Bryan?) Little will have something to say about that.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
thief50 said:
I just saw a player named Jordon Staal born 1988 with the Peterborough Petes and he's from the same city has Eric & Marc Staal, Thunder Bay, ONT

You didn't watch this years draft did you! They had a whole chat after Staal was drafted by the Rangers about Eric his older brother and his younger brother Jordan.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
Vincent_TheGreat said:
You didn't watch this years draft did you! They had a whole chat after Staal was drafted by the Rangers about Eric his older brother and his younger brother Jordan.

I never missed the draft live has long has I can remember but I'm french, so I listen the draft at RDS

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
I had a Hockey News that had a feature on Eric Staal and his family.
According to some scouts they think the youngest one is the most talented of them all.
What I thought was so cool about this family was that their dad built a homemade rink in their backyard with discarded boards from the local arena.
They had lights out there and the rink looked to be at least 90x50. Eric told stories about how they'd be out there all winter long and play well into the night.

I think this is one of the biggest things missing from our Canadian heritage. When I was young everyone I knew had a homemade rink at home. Now it seems nobody does. I have a two-year old son now and I'll be making a rink this winter. I hope to make it a yearly thing and I hope it helps him fall in love with the sport.

MacDaddy TLC*

Henry Staal is a pretty cool guy! The whole family has a fairly strong work ethic. I liked that the week of the draft Eric headed for home and helped his dad lay sod. The youngest one needs a bit of maturity. I doubt he will be the best though. It is kind of the Dustin Rose theory of thinking: the youngest will be 7 feet tall, can score from his own goaline and is faster than Taylor Pyatt. It is too hard to judge the youngest two before they reach draft age.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Jordan Staal is arguably the best one of the bunch? Not to dismiss the kid or anyhting since this is his draft year but he had 28 points! Eric had 99 in his draft year when he went 2nd overall. Why is it that his point toals were so low and he's considered the best Staal and possibly the first one to be drafted out of the OHL in '06. I know numbers arent everyhting since Pouliot had 67 points, but he's gotta make a better jump from 28 to be a top 5 guy dont you think?

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Jordan Staal is arguably the best one of the bunch? Not to dismiss the kid or anyhting since this is his draft year but he had 28 points! Eric had 99 in his draft year when he went 2nd overall. Why is it that his point toals were so low and he's considered the best Staal and possibly the first one to be drafted out of the OHL in '06. I know numbers arent everyhting since Pouliot had 67 points, but he's gotta make a better jump from 28 to be a top 5 guy dont you think?

Well, Staal will be pick Next year, remember? i dont know why you are referring the 28 points to his draft year? a typo? He will have a lot better numbers in his draft year.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
who is their cousin.

Yep, there is a lot of Staal hype in Thunder Bay. Most of it is deserved. The young guy has questionable discipline. He got a stupid misconduct in the Provincial championships for coming out without his mouthguard in and cost the team in their final game.

All the kids are pretty solid citizens, unlike those dirty Pyatts.

And yes Henry Staal was a heck of a good, hardworking player for Lakehead University.

do you mind explaining the nasty Pyatt reference?!?!?!!?

no Gino

May 16, 2005
JNRhockeyGURU said:
do you mind explaining the nasty Pyatt reference?!?!?!!?

Probably because Taylor and Tom are also from Thunder Bay and young, promising players. Or maybe it was their ex NHL playing dad Nelson.

For what it's worth it could have been the Johnson brothers, Greg and Ryan.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
also who is Ian Staal? He played for Thunder Bay in this tournament in 1993, i believe he was on the team a year older than Erics. An older brother? cousin? no relation?

Last edited:

MacDaddy TLC*

I think Ian was a cousin.

The dirty Pyatt reference is something that isn't fit for public consumption.There is also a dislike for the mom. Her and her damn cowbell when the middle brother comes here to play (CIS hockey) drive me nuts. She's a nutty loudmouth. Also I thought Dirty Pyatt/Dirty pirate (don't know why...)

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
expofan said:
Probably because Taylor and Tom are also from Thunder Bay and young, promising players. Or maybe it was their ex NHL playing dad Nelson.

For what it's worth it could have been the Johnson brothers, Greg and Ryan.

grrr! thanks for the reply! i knew why he mentioned the Pyatts---i wanted to know why they were "dirty," Mayor obviously has a personal problem with the fam.

and theres alot more than the Pyatt's, Staals, and Johnsons as far as hockey families go in TBay

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Anksun said:
Well, Staal will be pick Next year, remember? i dont know why you are referring the 28 points to his draft year? a typo? He will have a lot better numbers in his draft year.

Yeah I guess it was a typo. He put 28 points in his rookie year in the OHL, his draft year is this year. But it just makes me wonder that at his rate he has to have a big jump in his draft year to be a Top 5 pick though.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Big Phil said:

Peterborough had the second best forward depth in the OHL next to London last year. He scored those points from the 3rd line and took a much larger role in the playoffs where he posted beyond excellent numbers with 5 goals and 10 assists in 14 games. That's a prelude to this coming season, where he will gain a much bigger role in the still strong Petes offense. He and Bryan Little will duke it out all season for the best draft OHL player, much as Pouliot and Ryan did this year.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Big Phil said:

To add to what Brock said above about Jordan being a 3rd liner, he saw very, very limited PP time, and was one of the top PKers on the team as a 16 year old. Eric had a great rookie year, but he was on the first line by Christmas on a much weaker team. Jordan didn't have the same luck because of depth. Something else that has to be remembered about draft position is Eric was a late birthday so he played 3 full years before being drafted, if Eric was up for the 2002 he more then likely wouldn't have been a top 5 pick, he wasn't as highly regarded that year. He is the same size at 16, as Eric was at 18. He plays a very similar style, very reliable in his own end and will be atleast a point a game forward this year. At 16 he was much more physical then Eric was, at possibly even more responsible defencively. He may need a bit of work on putting the puck in the net, but he has great passing skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad