Is there a measure that combines Corsi with penalties drawn and taken?

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
During the recent contract negotiations I read quite a few articles in the statosphere that suggested P.K Subban was underrated and was doing great in the advanced stats.

None of those articles mentioned the fact that he lead all defensemen in PIM last season though.

It seems to me a great weakness in Fenwick and Corsi (and modifications thereof) that a guy like Subban can look so good while sitting in the penalty box and thus giving the other team plenty of goals on the power play as well as opportunity costs for his own team.

Has there been any work done to account for PIM in Corsi or Fenwick ?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There isn't really a way for that or a need to do that really. You'd have to account the numbers for whatever penalties he took.

Subban took 1.2 penalties per 60 last year 5v5, but he also drew .9 per 60. Short-handed, the Habs had one of the best GA/60 in the league at 4v5, so there doesn't seem to be much credence to Subban nullifying his production with back-breaking penalties considering the Habs had a good PK and he didn't take that many more penalties than he drew.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
There isn't really a way for that or a need to do that really. You'd have to account the numbers for whatever penalties he took.

Subban took 1.2 penalties per 60 last year 5v5, but he also drew .9 per 60. Short-handed, the Habs had one of the best GA/60 in the league at 4v5, so there doesn't seem to be much credence to Subban nullifying his production with back-breaking penalties considering the Habs had a good PK and he didn't take that many more penalties than he drew.

It is interesting to know that he is so good at drawing penalties. While it is good for the Habs that they are good on the penalty kill, there is still an opportunity cost involved since a team on the penalty kill has a much smaller chance of scoring themselves for 2 minutes.

Subban was just an example though. My point is that finding some way of adjusting Corsi for penalties could potentially be interesting.
One way could be to simply add shots that happen as a result of penalties drawn and taken to a player's Corsi. That would be shots when a player is on the ice + shots taken when a players is in the box + shots taken on a powerplay the player created. I realize that there are problems with such a measurement, but I was thinking someone who knows more about these things than me could find a way to make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad