Is there a bigger what if moment in NBA history...

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Than that of Nick Anderson missing those 4 free throws in 1995? If he makes just one, the Magic likely win the Championship that year, and probably win another 2-3, which would prevent the Bulls from 3-peating a second time. This would also mean that Shaq likely doesn't leave for LA so early in his career so thats another dynasty likely prevented. Would this mean that Sacramento wins in 2002, and possibly start a dynasty of their own?

Orlando was well set-up to compete long-term with that squad. It's hard for me to imagine that they don't at least get another championship had they won it all in 1995, especially with all of them being in their late 20's at the most (Horace Grant was 28 that year IIRC).

I almost feel like that missed opportunity by Orlando changed the landscape of the NBA. A small market like Orlando w/ a player like Shaq staying past his 24th birthday could have been a good thing for other small markets, rather than having them leave for bigger cities at first opportunity.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Shaq is arguably the biggest fame ***** in the history of pro sports

I think he was always going to sign with the Lakers

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Also, I think the biggest "what if" moment in NBA history happened at the '84 draft

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Shaq is arguably the biggest fame ***** in the history of pro sports

I think he was always going to sign with the Lakers

Bingo. He wasn't staying in Orlando no matter what.

And Anderson didn't lose them the Finals, he lost them game 1, they weren't taking four games from the Rockets, not a chance in hell.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
hqdefault.jpg

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Than that of Nick Anderson missing those 4 free throws in 1995? If he makes just one, the Magic likely win the Championship that year, and probably win another 2-3, which would prevent the Bulls from 3-peating a second time..

Did you see what 96 Bulls did to those Magic? Here is a hint ,, A fully conditioned Jordan + Scottie + Rodman + Bulls depth was unstoppable

You remember the scores of games 1 and 3 in that 96 ECF? The Bulls absolutely shattered the Magic and aura of next great team

95 Magic win wasn't all that impressive vs Bulls. Bulls had lost Horace Grant as FA to Magic and had Toni Kukoc out of position starting at PF with Will Purdue and BJ Armstrong starting at C and PG

Jordan came back midseason but was still not fully in game shape in playoffs

Greatest what if is would Bulls have been able to stop Rockets in 94 and 95 if Jordan didn't retire and make it 8 for 8

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What if TMac didn't have an issue sharing the spotlight with VC? Two high scoring superstars with good role players like Antonio Davis and Alvin Williams. Could have certainly challenged those Nets teams.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Did you see what 96 Bulls did to those Magic? Here is a hint ,, A fully conditioned Jordan + Scottie + Rodman + Bulls depth was unstoppable

You remember the scores of games 1 and 3 in that 96 ECF? The Bulls absolutely shattered the Magic and aura of next great team

95 Magic win wasn't all that impressive vs Bulls. Bulls had lost Horace Grant as FA to Magic and had Toni Kukoc out of position starting at PF with Will Purdue and BJ Armstrong starting at C and PG

Jordan came back midseason but was still not fully in game shape in playoffs

Greatest what if is would Bulls have been able to stop Rockets in 94 and 95 if Jordan didn't retire and make it 8 for 8

Hold on here, I didn't say the Bulls don't win it all in 1996. I said it's likely they don't 3-peat. And going off of what I remember from the 1997-98 season and how Indiana came damn close to winning that 7th game, that easily could have been the Magic w/ a healthy Penny and a 26 y/o Shaq knocking them out that year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Magic with Penny + Shaq weren't taking out the 96-98 Bulls especially with a declining supporting cast (Grant and Wilkins were both noticeably on decline when Bulls swept them in 96)

Better teams then them tried and failed

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If Orlando had won in 1995, two other things that come out:

1. Clyde Drexler- if he doesn't get that ring, how is he percieved historically?

2. Hakeem- if he only has 1 ring instead of 2

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Did we forget they traded Harden when they could have amnestied Kendrick Perkins and paid a bit to keep a championship contender intact?

Especially considering they chose Ibaka to keep over Harden, which in hindsight was absolutely a horrendous choice. Should have paid the extra dollars to keep Harden in-tact.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
shaq was leaving orlando for LA no matter what

how would OKC have been able to afford russ, harden, and kd? and who says harden/westbrook become the players they are today had they kept playing with one another?

biggest what if in NBA history for me is either what if len bias had lived or what if portland had drafted mj

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Orlando had won in 1995, two other things that come out:

1. Clyde Drexler- if he doesn't get that ring, how is he percieved historically?

2. Hakeem- if he only has 1 ring instead of 2

In Drexler's days, people & critics weren't as ring-obsessed. It was perfectly fine to retire without a ring, unlike today where you get wrongfully criticized if you don't win a title (and are a star player).

Hakeem is still regarded the same IMO. I'm not really sure what a second ring does for him, other then add a second finals MVP to his mantle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad