Is the FHL slowly legitimizing itself?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Why would u assume I thought the Coliseum was still there? I watched it being imploded. Yale and Quinnipiac both have arenas.

They tore that damn thing more than a decade ago because the mayor of New Haven who condemned the Coliseum wanted to distance the city away from sports and more towards culture and the arts.

It's a college town.

Reactions: sabremike

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
They tore that damn thing more than a decade ago because the mayor of New Haven who condemned the Coliseum wanted to distance the city away from sports and more towards culture and the arts.

It's a college town.

The mayor at that time had an axe to grind, the passionate and vocal fans spoke out publicly against him. These mayors are elected officials, they are not gods!

Arrogant jerks like Mayor Destefano or what ever his name was shouldn't be pushing their personal beliefs to "distance" the city they represent from sports or whatever. A truly "diverse" city can still promote the arts, entertainment, and culture identity while providing other forms of entertainment. Sports entertainment like hockey or baseball is very much a part of a city's culture.

That fool for a mayor just wanted to stick it to the working class fans who loved New Haven hockey. Any city with a couple colleges and their sports teams can be considered a "college town". The old Coliseum definitely was a physical mess indeed but that doesn't lesson the love all the New Haven hockey and heavy metal concert fans have shared in that building, good memories. Too often in these "college" towns there is a disconnect between the people who call the city home for just four years or so, and the everyday working people who call these cities home for all their lives.

Reactions: sabremike

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
The Enforcers lost to the NY Fire Dept. Hockey Team, and earlier in the season lost to the NYPD. Was anyone here at those games that can confirm if they were indeed competitive games or if they were "show" type games like the Harlem Globetrotters or NHL Alumni games?

If indeed they were competitive games that does not speak very highly of the FHL skill level overall.

Enforcers Get Hosed by FDNY 4-3 - Elmira Enforcers

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
The Enforcers lost to the NY Fire Dept. Hockey Team, and earlier in the season lost to the NYPD. Was anyone here at those games that can confirm if they were indeed competitive games or if they were "show" type games like the Harlem Globetrotters or NHL Alumni games?

If indeed they were competitive games that does not speak very highly of the FHL skill level overall.

Enforcers Get Hosed by FDNY 4-3 - Elmira Enforcers

I think there were many different players on roster. Even Mr. Robbie Nichols himself has suited up for games. He is a salesman and showman.

www.mytwintiers.com/amp/sports/local-sports/enforcers-fall-in-exhibition-game-against-nypd/1741506375

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't ever see this league being "legitimate" half the teams are still owned by the same guy, situations like this Elmira incident never help, Winston Salem is also heavily relying on gimmicks like having shootouts before games start.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The mayor at that time had an axe to grind, the passionate and vocal fans spoke out publicly against him. These mayors are elected officials, they are not gods!

Arrogant jerks like Mayor Destefano or what ever his name was shouldn't be pushing their personal beliefs to "distance" the city they represent from sports or whatever. A truly "diverse" city can still promote the arts, entertainment, and culture identity while providing other forms of entertainment. Sports entertainment like hockey or baseball is very much a part of a city's culture.

That fool for a mayor just wanted to stick it to the working class fans who loved New Haven hockey. Any city with a couple colleges and their sports teams can be considered a "college town". The old Coliseum definitely was a physical mess indeed but that doesn't lesson the love all the New Haven hockey and heavy metal concert fans have shared in that building, good memories. Too often in these "college" towns there is a disconnect between the people who call the city home for just four years or so, and the everyday working people who call these cities home for all their lives.
My old friend Kevin Tennyson (the great New Haven hockey historian) is looking at your post in heaven and smiling.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Good news: ownership of the Danbury Ice Arena changed hands and the new owners plan to bring pro hockey back to the city (obviously FHL).

Bad news: the guy who is being brought in to run it was the guy who had a goldmine with the Whalers and proceeded to run them into the ground, stiff local businesses and the arena and basically poison the market. Bruce Bennett brought in a new team, and a few years later was caught trashing the fans and particularly section 102. Everyone responded by dropping their season tickets, and when he lost his entire season ticket base he had to make up some BS excuse about how insurance was forcing him to fold to save face.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Good news: ownership of the Danbury Ice Arena changed hands and the new owners plan to bring pro hockey back to the city (obviously FHL).

Bad news: the guy who is being brought in to run it was the guy who had a goldmine with the Whalers and proceeded to run them into the ground, stiff local businesses and the arena and basically poison the market. Bruce Bennett brought in a new team, and a few years later was caught trashing the fans and particularly section 102. Everyone responded by dropping their season tickets, and when he lost his entire season ticket base he had to make up some BS excuse about how insurance was forcing him to fold to save face.
not entirely true.....

there is a distinct possibility that Danbury goes junior, the main issue is can hockey get past the insurance AKA the workers compensation issue in the state of Connecticut, SM

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
My old friend Kevin Tennyson (the great New Haven hockey historian) is looking at your post in heaven and smiling.

I didn't know him but God bless him. The New Haven faithful were really screwed. A snarky elitist took aim at minor league hockey and its faithful generational fanbase. What better way to kill a team and then its fans was by orchestrating a hit on the arena they call home and then to make sure another arena for that purpose isnt built.

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I didn't know him but God bless him. The New Haven faithful were really screwed. A snarky elitist took aim at minor league hockey and its faithful generational fanbase. What better way to kill a team and then its fans was by orchestrating a hit on the arena they call home and then to make sure another arena for that purpose isnt built.

More like the duly-elected mayor of New Haven and the city council made a financial decision about an aging piece of infrastructure that would have required massive financial investment on the part of the city to remain competitive with similar arenas in the area.

But sure, go ahead and blame "elitists" because you couldn't finish college.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well this happened... this league lol... also this is the 3rd incident by my count that Elmira has been involved in.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think it's great. It's a throwback to the lower leagues of the 60s and 70s.

I watched the Dayton Demonz play quite a bit and found them to be entertaining on the ice and Ahmed Mahfouz was a trip to watch with all of his off-the-wall antics.

The crowd size looked decent in the Elmira twitter clip. Brawling hockey is what will probably give the league a chance of success at the box office. People like this stuff. A sanitized minor league hockey style (like some of the ECHL is) won't cut it. It's the only marketing strategy that will work for the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
I think it's great. It's a throwback to the lower leagues of the 60s and 70s.

I watched the Dayton Demonz play quite a bit and found them to be entertaining on the ice and Ahmed Mahfouz was a trip to watch with all of his off-the-wall antics.

The crowd size looked decent in the Elmira twitter clip. Brawling hockey is what will probably give the league a chance of success at the box office. People like this stuff. A sanitized minor league hockey style (like some of the ECHL is) won't cut it. It's the only marketing strategy that will work for the league.

People liked it so much that all those leagues folded or reformed.

Reactions: UNITEDINBLUE

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
This is like Wrestling. This league needs media attention. And like every advertising guru says: Every attention is a good attention (or something like this, im not very familiar with English).

Reactions: adsfan

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This is like Wrestling. This league needs media attention. And like every advertising guru says: Every attention is a good attention (or something like this, im not very familiar with English).
Very close, alko. The 19th Century American showman & circus owner P.T. Barnum was reputed to have said: "There's no such thing as bad publicity." But perhaps closer to this topic, Irish Republican and satirical author Brendan Behan expanded that thought: "There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary." That's the fine line being skated by the FHL.

Reactions: adsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad