Is The Cat the second best passer on the Hawks?

Is The Cat a better "passer" than Schmaltz?

• Total voters

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
After watching these first four games to begin the year, I am really liking the way DeBrincat sees the ice. He has a deft passing touch when needed, moves the puck quickly, is creative with his passing, and seems to be able to see a play a move or two in advance.

Obviously Kane is lethal and the best passer on the Hawks, but the second spot is between Schmaltz and The Cat. Regardless, I believe we now have three elite passers on the Blackhawks.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hard to really say after only 4 games. So I went with the middle, safe option. Gimme 15-20 games and I'll have a better opinion for ya. :laugh:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I'll also add that he seems to be able to slow the play down to open new avenues for the pass, even this early in his NHL career. Remarkable patience and poise for the most part (disregarding a few obviously poor turnovers).

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I'm not sure seeing him in more games is going to matter - a player either has "it" or he doesn't. DCat has "it". After seeing more than a few of his passes, the possibility of it being luck is eliminated and the conclusion is DCat is an elite play maker, which incorporates (1) vision and play recognition, and (2) quick and accurate passing. We saw the same skill in Teuvo when we got a first look at him, but DCat plays with a fearlessness that Teuvo didn't have. Schmaltz has the same level skill and he has the elite speed factor that DCat doesn't have, but in my opinion the jury is still out on the fearless factor.

In any case, we have ourselves another very good player with the potential to be a star.

Reactions: pvr

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Schmaltz is a better passer, but that's the biggest part of his game. And why are we comparing our 2c to a kid who's played in only 4 games so far?

Reactions: Rooh

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm not sure seeing him in more games is going to matter - a player either has "it" or he doesn't. DCat has "it". After seeing more than a few of his passes, the possibility of it being luck is eliminated and the conclusion is DCat is an elite play maker, which incorporates (1) vision and play recognition, and (2) quick and accurate passing. We saw the same skill in Teuvo when we got a first look at him, but DCat plays with a fearlessness that Teuvo didn't have. Schmaltz has the same level skill and he has the elite speed factor that DCat doesn't have, but in my opinion the jury is still out on the fearless factor.

In any case, we have ourselves another very good player with the potential to be a star.
That pass for the Anisimov goal was sick. Picked it out of mid air, crossed the face of the goal right to the stick of Anisimov for a wide open net. The reaction of Anismov towards Cat proved that was a pass all the way.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Schmaltz is a better passer, but that's the biggest part of his game. And why are we comparing our 2c to a kid who's played in only 4 games so far?

I think it's obvious that the two are comparable playmakers, even after only four games for Cat, and only 63 games for Schmaltz. In fact, DeBrincat is far ahead of where Schmaltz was one year ago.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think it's obvious that the two are comparable playmakers, even after only four games for Cat, and only 63 games for Schmaltz. In fact, DeBrincat is far ahead of where Schmaltz was one year ago.

He definitely looks more polished than Schmaltz did last year. I'll give ya that. Still think Schmaltz is the better "overall" player, though.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I know he was. But Schmaltz is a playmaking center. He's in the mold of a Spezza, the way he can see and make passes is unbelievable.

That is not what Brinksy is. Brinksy has well above average IQ and playmaking abilities, but his greatest asset will always be that beauty of a shot. They aren't, or shouldn't be, comparable players.

Reactions: Rooh and ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I know he was. But Schmaltz is a playmaking center. He's in the mold of a Spezza, the way he can see and make passes is unbelievable.

That is not what Brinksy is. Brinksy has well above average IQ and playmaking abilities, but his greatest asset will always be that beauty of a shot. They aren't, or shouldn't be, comparable players.

Have to agree.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

Agree about DCats shot...elite, but I think he's looking like the complete offensive package right now...goals and assists. Doesn't diminish Schmaltz in any way with the comp. The Sharp breakaway pass, the few from behind the net, the Anismov goal, and many others already...and it's just going to get better. That's my impression right now.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Agree about DCats shot...elite, but I think he's looking like the complete offensive package right now...goals and assists. Doesn't diminish Schmaltz in any way with the comp. The Sharp breakaway pass, the few from behind the net, the Anismov goal, and many others already...and it's just going to get better. That's my impression right now.

He's always been that, though. You don't put up 2ppg in the OHL by being a pure sniper/one trick pony.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

I'll post this question: Is Brinksy the Cat a better shooter than Panarin? That one timer last night looked just as good as any Panarin one timers from the slot.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

I'm not saying the kid sucks, but saying how good Schmaltz is at passing. Schmaltz might be better than Kane at making plays (while Kane has a better shot, and is more elusive with the puck).

Let's not over analyze a 19yo with 4 games under his belt. We don't need a repeat of "Teuvotime". Brinksy will play the same regardless if we're hyping him up as elite or not.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'll post this question: Is Brinksy the Cat a better shooter than Panarin? That one timer last night looked just as good as any Panarin one timers from the slot.

I do think he has a better shot. It's quicker off his stick, and Brinksy doesn't have to rely on being in the left dot to make the shot.

Having said that, DeBrincat still needs to learn and adapt to a lot of things in this league. But when he's finally fully adapted to the changes from OHL to NHL, I think he'll be a better shooter than Panarin.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I'd say so. It's tough though because last year was such a joke with all the one timers. Let's put it this way, I think you can make a strong case for Cat Man's being better but he's definitely more confident and aggressive with it. It's hard not to prefer it over Panarin's.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
That pass last night by Cat on the Wingels goal, one on five, was filthy. A lot of excellent puck movement through him the past few weeks.

I think one of Schmaltz or Cat has to be on the Toews line to open space for Saad and Toews. Panik gets dropped.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
That pass last night by Cat on the Wingels goal, one on five, was filthy. A lot of excellent puck movement through him the past few weeks.

I think one of Schmaltz or Cat has to be on the Toews line to open space for Saad and Toews. Panik gets dropped.
I'd be worried about tasking El Gato with Carrying Saad and Toews' carcasses at this point in his career.:sarcasm:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
someone else posted something similar I think ...

Debrincat Schmaltz Kane or Debrincat AA Kane
Saad Toews Panik Saad Toews Schmaltz
Sharp AA Hartman Sharp Hayden Hartman ( the Shhhhh line )
4th line 4th line

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

4th line 4th line

for me, i see the 3rd line as Hartman - Hayden - Panik

i think this is close to what i posted 2 days ago. i see as line 1 and 2 would be very similar . that is why i like this lineup.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Connor McDavid on Alex DeBrincat last year:

"He’s having another amazing season," McDavid said. "No surprise there."

"Honestly, we helped each other," McDavid said. "It was not a one-way street by any means. He finds a way to score goals. My year they were saying, 'Oh, he was just playing with me.' Then the other year, he’s playing with (Strome). He’s playing with Stromer again. To score 50 three seasons in a row is absolutely incredible no matter who you’re playing with or what you’re doing. Absolute credit to him."

"He kind of just came out of nowhere," McDavid said. "I remember us signing (him) and looking, and it said he was 5-2, 140 pounds, whatever. The GM at the time, Sherry Bassin, said 'I found you a new winger.' I’m like, ‘That guy is going to play with me?’ Sure enough, he comes in and we kind of have that chemistry right away.

"He knows where the net is. He finds a way to score basically every night. He’s got a great shot. He’s one of the feistiest guys I’ve ever played with. It’s really remarkable about what he’s been able to do."

"I think well," McDavid said when asked how DeBrincat's game will translate into the NHL. "He’s just got such a drive and such a nose for the net that I don’t think he’s going to be stopped. He takes on guys much bigger. I don’t really know how he does it."

"Especially when he was a rookie and I was playing with him, he’s going into scrums against guys that are 6-5, and you’re on the ice thinking, ‘How the hell am I going to help you?’ He definitely picks his fights. He’s a special person and special player."

Reactions: TorMenT

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Connor McDavid on Alex DeBrincat last year:

"He’s having another amazing season," McDavid said. "No surprise there."

"Honestly, we helped each other," McDavid said. "It was not a one-way street by any means. He finds a way to score goals. My year they were saying, 'Oh, he was just playing with me.' Then the other year, he’s playing with (Strome). He’s playing with Stromer again. To score 50 three seasons in a row is absolutely incredible no matter who you’re playing with or what you’re doing. Absolute credit to him."

"He kind of just came out of nowhere," McDavid said. "I remember us signing (him) and looking, and it said he was 5-2, 140 pounds, whatever. The GM at the time, Sherry Bassin, said 'I found you a new winger.' I’m like, ‘That guy is going to play with me?’ Sure enough, he comes in and we kind of have that chemistry right away.

"He knows where the net is. He finds a way to score basically every night. He’s got a great shot. He’s one of the feistiest guys I’ve ever played with. It’s really remarkable about what he’s been able to do."

"I think well," McDavid said when asked how DeBrincat's game will translate into the NHL. "He’s just got such a drive and such a nose for the net that I don’t think he’s going to be stopped. He takes on guys much bigger. I don’t really know how he does it."

"Especially when he was a rookie and I was playing with him, he’s going into scrums against guys that are 6-5, and you’re on the ice thinking, ‘How the hell am I going to help you?’ He definitely picks his fights. He’s a special person and special player."
man, this just gets me to be thrilled that the hawks have him.....

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

4th line 4th line

Can’t put our three best playmakers on one line. Cat with Toews and Saad, Schmaltz with AA and Kane. Balances size, grit, and finesse on both, and both lines get a playmaker. My only concern is whether Saad an Toews are good enough for Cat.:sarcasm:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Can’t put our three best playmakers on one line. Cat with Toews and Saad, Schmaltz with AA and Kane. Balances size, grit, and finesse on both, and both lines get a playmaker. My only concern is whether Saad an Toews are good enough for Cat.:sarcasm:
Watching Toews this year, he's been pretty good. Maybe not $10.5mn good, but good enough to have much better counting stats. His teammates haven't done him justice. I'm not really too worried about Toews.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad