• No

Votes: 40 72.7%
  • Will get lucky since division is weak

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
So Flames are not making it to the playoffs for sure. The GDT is only 4 pages lol
You have posted on the Flames board but don't know that the reason the HF flames board is so quiet is because the majority of their fanbase has gathered on their own message boards instead of HF?

I would say NO to the thread title question as his style works its just that his roster has vastly changed. Some styles only with certain type of players and Hubie and Kadri are totally different animals when compared to Chucky and Gaudreau.

YES he should be fired as his style doesn't fit the team anymore.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Perhaps the GDT was short because the game was in the middle of the day, on a non-holiday in Canada?

Not entirely sure how that's any reflection of Sutter's coaching anyway. But i'd imagine that played a role...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He just won the division year.....

Last edited:

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
His coaching style has been among the most successful (I'm not saying the most successful) in the last decade. His style won 2 Cups in LA. His coaching style is why Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk saw their best seasons period. They weren't just offensively a power house, they dominated puck possession.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
The Flames are generating a lot of shots and dominating possession in most games They don't have the finishers. Mangiapane has been super disappointing. Huberdeau is playing with Backlund and Coleman who are great possession players but not great goal scorers. They need some help up front. This isn't on Sutter

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
His coaching style has been among the most successful (I'm not saying the most successful) in the last decade. His style won 2 Cups in LA. His coaching style is why Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk saw their best seasons period. They weren't just offensively a power house, they dominated puck possession.

Perhaps it was a combination of coaching and players that worked well together, but Tkachuk is looking like the real deal and not a coaching scheme's product.

I think its something of an underrated skill for GM's to choose coaches that complement their players and vice versa. Not sure if rhe "Sutter style" of coaching takes some time to get used to, but it's not working well with this particular iteration of the F'ames.

Reactions: surixon

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
X’s and O’s. Best in the league.

Player usage. Worst in the league.

That’s Darryl Sutter for you.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The Flames are pretty much where I expected them to be given their roster. It's just not that strong I don't like their depth and their top end talent is guys who likely won't repeat their best years. A massive downgrade from last season. I think Sutter's fine but as the person above mentioned, his player usage is garbage. I feel like they have several guys who shouldn't even see the ice at the NHL level

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Sutter has been bad this year starting from preseason. But it is totally expected with his style of coaching.

He never even gave our prospects a proper chance in preseason, not one of them got a look with any of our top 9 players, and we're played against stronger teams. Then he said they weren't good enough. All three of those guys are now ppg or better in the AHL this season and look like they deserve a look. But it was clear from day one that his favorite guys like Lewis, and lucic would be playing in the top 6-9 role instead of adding skill or giving them a look. I'm guessing he was also a big reason why Milano, who is doing well in Washington wasn't considered either.

He has played markstrom 16/20 games despite the fact he is very obviously struggling, after saying he would be playing vladar once a week. He even played markstrom in our last back to back (lost both games). This is after last season where markstrom clearly played to much.

He gives guys like Lucic, Lewis, and Ritchie unlimited chances without punishment, and chances innthe top 6, yet young guys like ruzicka get punished for not being perfect while trying to work out their games. Lastnight ruzicka was demoted to the 4th line, so we could put lewis on the first line (3 right handed shot line). He even played f***ing Kevin rooney over ruzicka for the majority of the season.

He is incapable of line matching, and just roles the four lines, which has resulted in our fourth line being out there getting scored on against teams top lines.

He underutilizes his better players, so he can give extra minutes to his boys. Weegar hasn't even had a sniff on the PP, Huberdeau on the third line so lucic can play top 6, and other headscratchers, he also loves throwing the younger guys under the bus in the media, while his grinders have the longest leash possible.

Sutter is a good coach for turning things around, but has always been a short shelf life coach. He also was carried by that top line last season that all had career years, and a hot markstrom that was MUCH better than this season.

It seems our work ethic has even dropped just from the start of this season, which indicates to me that I don't think he has the full attention of the locker room.

Also if you listened to Tkachuk and gaudreau on spittin chiclets, it is very clear that Sutter was a big factor in their decision to leave, now both players have more points than any players on our team.

I don't think he should be fired after last season, but if we do not make the playoffs this year I truly think it's best to move on. He needs to get this current group going because he very obviously won't give any of the prospects a chance to contribute, and if this shit keeps up, Coronato will 100% pull an adam fox and go somewhere where young players are actually valued.

Gaudreau and Tkachuk are doing just fine away from Sutter, it's the players we brought in from other teams that are struggling

Reactions: PuckG and Koolboss

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Flames GDT's are never terribly active, most of the fanbase conglomerates on CalgaryPuck or reddit.

I've also noticed less Leafs fans traffic in recent years. Because of the way Leafs fans are treated on HF Mains I guess they are now more active on reddit/

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Sutter has been bad this year starting from preseason. But it is totally expected with his style of coaching.

He never even gave our prospects a proper chance in preseason, not one of them got a look with any of our top 9 players, and we're played against stronger teams. Then he said they weren't good enough. All three of those guys are now ppg or better in the AHL this season and look like they deserve a look. But it was clear from day one that his favorite guys like Lewis, and lucic would be playing in the top 6-9 role instead of adding skill or giving them a look. I'm guessing he was also a big reason why Milano, who is doing well in Washington wasn't considered either.

He has played markstrom 16/20 games despite the fact he is very obviously struggling, after saying he would be playing vladar once a week. He even played markstrom in our last back to back (lost both games). This is after last season where markstrom clearly played to much.

He gives guys like Lucic, Lewis, and Ritchie unlimited chances without punishment, and chances innthe top 6, yet young guys like ruzicka get punished for not being perfect while trying to work out their games. Lastnight ruzicka was demoted to the 4th line, so we could put lewis on the first line (3 right handed shot line). He even played f***ing Kevin rooney over ruzicka for the majority of the season.

He is incapable of line matching, and just roles the four lines, which has resulted in our fourth line being out there getting scored on against teams top lines.

He underutilizes his better players, so he can give extra minutes to his boys. Weegar hasn't even had a sniff on the PP, Huberdeau on the third line so lucic can play top 6, and other headscratchers, he also loves throwing the younger guys under the bus in the media, while his grinders have the longest leash possible.

Sutter is a good coach for turning things around, but has always been a short shelf life coach. He also was carried by that top line last season that all had career years, and a hot markstrom that was MUCH better than this season.

It seems our work ethic has even dropped just from the start of this season, which indicates to me that I don't think he has the full attention of the locker room.

Also if you listened to Tkachuk and gaudreau on spittin chiclets, it is very clear that Sutter was a big factor in their decision to leave, now both players have more points than any players on our team.

I don't think he should be fired after last season, but if we do not make the playoffs this year I truly think it's best to move on. He needs to get this current group going because he very obviously won't give any of the prospects a chance to contribute, and if this shit keeps up, Coronato will 100% pull an adam fox and go somewhere where young players are actually valued.

Gaudreau and Tkachuk are doing just fine away from Sutter, it's the players we brought in from other teams that are struggling

Weegar didnt get much a sniff of PP time on Panthers. 3 PP points last season. He has 7 PPP in his career in 326 games

Btw. How has Weegar been otherwise?

Reactions: 23Monahan

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Weegar didnt get much a sniff of PP time on Panthers. 3 PP points last season. He has 7 PPP in his career in 326 games

Weegar has been good.

Currently paired with Zadorov and they were especially fantastic against the Pens the other day. Held Crosby to 1 shot.

Reactions: Mogo

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018

I thought he played more pp time my bad. HE has been solid otherwise, but is not currently playing any special teams minutes on pp or pk, and as good as he has been, I am still expecting a bit more for that contract. Playing in a completely different system now though so might take a bit of time to get to his full potential.

Reactions: Mogo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad