Is Steve Yzerman an above average GM?

Is Steve Yzerman an above average GM?

• Total voters

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
What a random bump of a thread to say something so radically untrue. There is no "official" definition of a dynasty. Unless you want to look it up in the dictionary, which definitely doesn't say that,

Sports Dynasty
The determination of whether a team or individual has achieved a dynasty is subjective. This results in debate among sports fans due to a lack of consensus and agreement on the different variables and criteria that could be used to define a dynasty
The official NHL definition of a dynasty is at least 3 Cups in 4 seasons

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Source?

Since you bumped the thread I'm assuming the NHL just released its official definition of a dynasty.
I don't think they ever had a "definition" per se but NHL.com DID used to have a list of dynasties on their website which is kinda sort of the same thing

I can't find it so I assume that it got taken down at some point but I definitely remember it existing

the official Hockey Hall Of Fame website does still have a list of dynasties up as well

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He's a smart guy I think. It did help for him to get Stamkos and Hedman. 2 important foundations for any team. the drafting helped when he got Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov and point, although I think that was more scouting than himself.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
He's a smart guy I think. It did help for him to get Stamkos and Hedman. 2 important foundations for any team. the drafting helped when he got Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov and point, although I think that was more scouting than himself.
Stamkos and Hedman were drafted before Yzerman was a GM.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
The early pages of this thread are really fun to read.

Sprong has been fantastic. Compher has been good. Maatta has been fine enough. Ghost is inconsistent but helps our power play a lot and is a UFA this summer. The only "bad" contract so far has been Holl. And with only two years after this one, his cap really shouldn't hurt us. Kane came later in the season and has been a revelation.

His UFAs the year before? Lyon is fantastic. Copp is admittedly overpaid for what he is, but plays an important defensive role for us. Lindstrom was moved for Petry. Kubalik moved in the Cat trade. Perron I'm not a big fan of but he is solid in that bumper position on the PP I'll admit.

His trading? Acquired Cat, Fabbri, Petry, Walman for pennies on the dollar. The only real "loss" I can think of right now is the Hronek trade and he was never what he is in Vancouver with us + gave us ASP who may break some SHL records this season.

Are some of his signings overpaid? Absolutely, I'll admit that. But people are forgetting that they're also cleverly set up to to come off the books when our younger players will need new deals.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Are some of his signings overpaid? Absolutely, I'll admit that. But people are forgetting that they're also cleverly set up to to come off the books when our younger players will need new deals.
This is the part that some people miss or refuse to wrap their heads around. When you have a tonne of cap space, signing a "bad" contract is kinda irrelevant.

Same thing could be said about Kubalik a couple years ago, "why is Yzerman signing a guy like that? Hes going to ruin their tank job". Then Kubalik was used as an actual piece that sens fans thought would be useful, in a trade for a really good, young player like Debrincat.

Leddy got the same reaction when he was traded for. "Why is Yzerman giving up assets for a guy like that? Theyre rebuilding, Yzerman is washed", then he turned around and got Walman AND his second round pick back AND Sundqvist who evnetually turned into a 4th round pick. So the trade for Leddy that got shit on by a bunch of people turned into a free season of Leddy playing with Seider to help him out, their second round pick back and a young top 4 dman

Holl hasnt been in the lineup and is definitely not a great hockey player, but he got signed to such a low amount where the cap doesnt matter to Detroit that who really gives a f***?

Reactions: LarKing

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
This is the part that some people miss or refuse to wrap their heads around. When you have a tonne of cap space, signing a "bad" contract is kinda irrelevant.

Same thing could be said about Kubalik a couple years ago, "why is Yzerman signing a guy like that? Hes going to ruin their tank job". Then Kubalik was used as an actual piece that sens fans thought would be useful, in a trade for a really good, young player like Debrincat.

Leddy got the same reaction when he was traded for. "Why is Yzerman giving up assets for a guy like that? Theyre rebuilding, Yzerman is washed", then he turned around and got Walman AND his second round pick back AND Sundqvist who evnetually turned into a 4th round pick. So the trade for Leddy that got shit on by a bunch of people turned into a free season of Leddy playing with Seider to help him out, their second round pick back and a young top 4 dman

Holl hasnt been in the lineup and is definitely not a great hockey player, but he got signed to such a low amount where the cap doesnt matter to Detroit that who really gives a f***?
In fairness, I don't know other teams' cap situations that well either. But I am starting to feel like I say the same things every day yet somehow people still think we're in some sort of cap crunch. Actually kindve funny how fans of other teams are so much more concerned about our cap than we are

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
People hating on Yzerman is so stupid, When your luck in draft lottery is the worst in the league, you have to get actual NHL players on the team. And yes, they bubbled out but the contrast on what Wings were lets say 5years ago is huge.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
We live in a world where Chuck Fletcher exists.

A good GM is one that doesn't completely destroy a team.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Slightly above average but only because there are a lot of dreadful NHL GM’s.
The one thing that can be said in his favour is that he hasn’t made any franchise crippling moves even if a lot of his work on trades, drafting and signing has been pretty average.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2019-20 season, 39 points per 71 games (45 point pace), -122 goal differential (-140 goal pace)
2020-21 season, 48 points per 56 games (70 point pace), -44 goal differential (-64 goal pace)
2021-22 season, 74 points per 82 games, -88 goal differential
2022-23 season, 80 points per 82 games, -39 goal differential
2023-24 season, 91 points per 82 games, +4 goal differential

The progress is pretty steady.
45p --> 70p --> 74p --> 80p --> 91p
-122g --> -64g --> -88g --> -39g --> +4g

Every season has been better.

And what, the prospect core has been ranked to be 2nd or 4th best NHL ?

That will make the final push on incoming years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad