Player Discussion Is Smith cooked? Edit: YEAH HE IS!

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The things I would do to have Talbot on this team and the Oilers have Smith.

They'd be bottom in the league and we'd be top of the league.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
He is not cooked, he is over f***ing cooked. Peters, you bloody better wake up. If you can't sense that this team suffers because of that fudging clown then you need to get drunk and review tapes again. Maybe your brain processes some aspects of the game better when pissed. Going to f***in bed completly f***ing angry.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I think people should also consider that I'm pretty sure Rittich has already played s lot more by this point this year than our backup did last year.

Remember what happened when Rittich took the reigns last year? He looked great as a backup past year too. Then once he took the starters reigns, he crapped the bed. Yes he has more experience now.

But this seems to me like Peters is easing him in to more games and responsibility, without immediately throwing the weight of our season onto his shoulders

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's not just that Mike Smith is consistently letting in 1-3 extremely soft goals a game...It's the fact that he simply can't make a big save when this team needs it the most.
This actually isn't true, though. You're cherry-picking last night when one of the more talented players in the league got to walk in on him, but in every one of his prior games going back to the Washington game, and in last night's game when the score was 2-1 and we were one goal against away from being out of it, Mike Smith came up with big stops in the third period. I could find them as videos perhaps, but I'm sure upon reflection you would have to remember that this is true.

Unfortunately, the first part of your statement is true right now. He can't go a full game without a weak one getting by except for the Toronto game.

Last edited:

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Rumors out there that Neal and Smith got into last night for the second time. Smith made a comment about defensive miscues and Neal got on Smith and told him to make a f***ing save.

Smith had this problem in Arizona to. Always blamed the defense and scolded his team mates.

Guy is trash. Feel sorry for ya guys.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Rumors out there that Neal and Smith got into last night for the second time. Smith made a comment about defensive miscues and Neal got on Smith and told him to make a ****ing save.

Smith had this problem in Arizona to. Always blamed the defense and scolded his team mates.

Hopefully it’s a wake up call for him. He probably didn’t have anyone in AZ that talked back at him like Neal did.

You guys did warn us about this.

Reactions: Ravi Nandkumar

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Rumors out there that Neal and Smith got into last night for the second time. Smith made a comment about defensive miscues and Neal got on Smith and told him to make a ****ing save.

Can you take him back and give us Raantta. pllsssssssssssss

Reactions: SR

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This actually isn't true, though. You're cherry-picking last night when one of the more talented players in the league got to walk in on him, but in every one of his prior games going back to the Washington game, and in last night's game when the score was 2-1 and we were one goal against away from being out of it, Mike Smith came up with big stops in the third period. I could find them as videos perhaps, but I'm sure upon reflection you would have to remember that this is true.

Unfortunately, the first part of your statement is true right now. He can't go a full game without a weak one getting by except for the Toronto game.

I like it that you always look for the positive.

But in this case, the negative is so big, it's irrelevant if he made some big saves.

Does anybody honestly say that they are confident he can make the most simple saves? He constantly f***ed up a few almost every game since coming back from his injury.

Smith has never really been a good goalie with a few exception. His good year is normally sandwiches by a few bad ones. Considering he is 36. He is done.

BT is going to hang himself with this guy

BTW, Getzlaf is a has been in term of goal scoring. The guy average about 10-15 goals/year in the last 3 yrs. I dont necessary blame Smith on that goal but it's not like he was beat by the best on that one.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I like it that you always look for the positive.

But in this case, the negative is so big, it's irrelevant if he made some big saves.

I agree right now, but that doesn't mean there's any need to invent narratives that don't exist to even further belabour the point.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Hopefully it’s a wake up call for him. He probably didn’t have anyone in AZ that talked back at him like Neal did.

You guys did warn us about this.

I dont think they did, either. Doan sure as hell wouldnt have said it the same way Neal did, thats for sure. Would like Calgary to get a goalie and take the Pacific, they're the team to do it with good goaltending, they score enough just let in a lot too.

Waive Smith, see what happens and see if you can get one of Rask or Bobrovsky, however bob may be too much of a risk considering his ufa status at the end of the year.

Reactions: Czarchuk

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I dont think they did, either. Doan sure as hell wouldnt have said it the same way Neal did, thats for sure. Would like Calgary to get a goalie and take the Pacific, they're the team to do it with good goaltending, they score enough just let in a lot too.

Waive Smith, see what happens and see if you can get one of Rask or Bobrovsky, however bob may be too much of a risk considering his ufa status at the end of the year.

All this talk is pie in the sky dreaming unless Tre puts up actual top 9 players in the trade and then you create a problem solving another.

1. Bob is not going to be traded to Calgary because Calgary does not have the Forward depth for that trade and BOB costs 7.425 million a season and Columbus isn't eating cap.
  2. Rask is going nowhere. Boston is planning on a deep run.
  3. Raanta has the Coyotes looking at the playoffs for the first time in years.
  4. Crawford is unlikely. Until the Hawks plan on a rebuild he won't go anywhere.
  5. Quick is injured long term.

That leaves Tre 3 realistic choices:
  • Howard in Detroit thought it will cost prospects and draft picks. (I don't think Howard is an upgrade.)
  • Schnieder in New Jersey. Will cost us Foo/Dube/ or Mangiapane and draft pick(s)
  • Anderson in Ottawa. Will cost us Foo/Dube/ or Mangiapane and draft pick(s)
Kinkaid is New Jersey's future and he is not going anywhere.
After that you are looking at Elliot and other goalies in that bracket.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
I don't think he's cooked. If you look around the league a lot of goaltenders are having big trouble adjusting to the size of the new equipment.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I don't think he's cooked. If you look around the league a lot of goaltenders are having big trouble adjusting to the size of the new equipment.
I think it is too early to over re-act. Why lose prospects and draft picks if his ship is righted or the replacement ends up being no tangible upgrade. RIttich should definitely be given the bulk of starts for the time being so Smith can play the weaker teams, work on his positioning in practice and get his confidence back. Mechanically I see little wrong with Smith's game and his reflexes are still top notch. He just has to close a couple holes, make his game big again and in general tune his game.

We lose 1 game and everyone is losing their minds for no reason.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think it is too early to over re-act. Why lose prospects and draft picks if his ship is righted or the replacement ends up being no tangible upgrade. RIttich should definitely be given the bulk of starts for the time being so Smith can play the weaker teams, work on his positioning in practice and get his confidence back. Mechanically I see little wrong with Smith's game and his reflexes are still top notch. He just has to close a couple holes, make his game big again and in general tune his game.

We lose 1 game and everyone is losing their minds for no reason.

He's had a quarter season of sub-NHL starts. He doesn't have any rope in the eyes of most fans anymore, regardless of what he did before.

Reactions: Flameshomer

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Without watching other teams I can confidentially say no other goalie has let in as many stupid goals has Smith has this year. The dude is a complete colander back there.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I’m on the Schneider train.

Isn't he recovering from surgery?

I've been saying Howard or Anderson to back Smith since the off season. Short contracts, cheap to acquire, decent track record...

But young guys wise, I wonder if we could pry Jarry out of Pittsburgh since it seems like DeSmith and Murry are a decent tandem on top of the other options they have.

Or we could go bonkers crazy and see if Andrew Hammond figures things out if given a shot.

Some guys like Darling/Reimer/Allen could pry free if the teams want to try and acquire Bob to upgrade their goal tending situation.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
The fact that we are even talking about guys like Andrew Hammond means shit is absolutely f***ed in Calgary right now where goaltending is concerned. I have a feeling that a big move is already in the works, Treliving is a smart man and will not hesitate to make a move if it's clearly necessary.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Schneider choo choo

Seriously though. I understand Peters trying to give Smith time to get it back, but he’s also slowing the momentum Rittich is trying to build up. Give the guy the reigns for 5 games, if he starts to falter? Guess what, we’re back to where we are now. Hopefully by than Smith will stop playing like a mental midget.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think Smitty will be fine. His confidence is obviously lacking right now and I think he will regain it. The question is can the Flames afford to wait?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Wheres this 1 game non sense coming from? Hes started 11 games and been absolutely terrible in 10 of them. It's not 1 game at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad